2017 college football postseason: lower divisions

4_tattoos

2 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

Okay, it's time for the FCS playoffs to be set... They announced the top four seeds already. Now for the bracket itself.

-Lehigh at Stony Brook (Winner gets #1 James Madison)

-Western Illinois at Weber State (Winner gets #8 Southern Utah)

-Monmouth at Northern Iowa (Winner gets #5 South Dakota State)

-Central Connecticut at New Hampshire (Winner gets #4 Central Arkansas)

-Samford at Kennesaw State (Winner gets #3 Jacksonville State)

-South Dakota at Nicholls State (Winner gets #6 Sam Houston State)

-Furman at Elon (Winner gets #7 Wofford)

-San Diego at Northern Arizona (Winner gets #2 North Dakota State)

OK... South Dakota and New Hampshire in over Austin Peay and McNeese State?!? WTF, man???

Lehigh can hopefully play Stony Brook well, despite their record, and maybe they can play James Madison well before the Dukes overpower them. If they can at least beat Stony Brook and play JMU well, I'll be okay with that.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/18/2017 at 5:32 PM, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

It was a good game. Lafayette played a really good first half and took advantage of a sloppy Lehigh style of play.

It's just they couldn't rush Mayes at all, and allowed him to pick them apart for almost 400 yards passing.

Grrrrrr.  Lafayette also did nothing offensively in the second half.  Their only points were on the kickoff return.

That said, Lafayette was more competitive than I expected this season (at least in the conference), especially considering the offense struggled most of the season.  I think my boys are moving in the right direction.

As for the playoffs, Lehigh's defense may have looked good in the second half, but I think that was more of a reflection of Lafayette's offense.  The fact that they allowed 24 points in the first half (and it could/should have been 27 or 31) doesn't bode well for Lehigh.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Honestly don't have a dog in the fight in the FCS playoffs this year.

In D2 both CIAA teams and Shepherd lost in the first round. So I'll be rooting for whoever plays IUP the rest of the playoffs. They're fans on a D2 message board I frequent are in insufferable.

Frostburg is still alive in D3, so I'll stick with the Bobcats. Had several high school teammates that went to Frostburg.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

The winner of today's Bayou Classic (Grambling vs Southern) will win the West Division of the SWAC and will go on to play Alcorn State for the SWAC Championship on December 2.

Frostburg State advances in Division 3 beating Washington & Jefferson. Bobcats face perennial D3 juggernaut Mount Union next week. Could be the end of the line for them, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Two of the number 1 seeds lost today in Division 2. Fort Hayes State (SR3) and Central Washington (SR4) were upset.

SR1 Final will be Assumption vs IUP. SR2 Final will be West Alabama vs West Florida. SR3 Final is Ferris State vs Harding. SR4 final will be Texas A&M Commerce vs Minnesota State-Mankato

A couple updates on today's games.

Frostburg State's run in the D3 playoffs come to an end as they lose to Mount Union 70-37

In D2, Harding wins Super Region 3 beating Ferris State 16-14. Meanwhile, IUP wins Super Region 1 beating Assumption 27-22. The SR2 and SR4 games are still currently in action.

D2 update...

West Florida wins Super Region 2 with a 28-21 win over West Alabama.

Texas A&M Commerce wins Super Region 4 beating Minnesota State 31-21.

D2 Semifinals seeds have not been announced yet. Probably safe to assume IUP will host one of the games though.

Division 2 semifinals

West Florida @ IUP

Harding @ Texas A&M-Commerce

Division 3 semifinals

Wisconsin-Oshkosh vs Mount Union

Mary Hardin-Baylor vs Brockport

Looks like two of the FCS quarterfinal games will be televised on ESPN2 this weekend. The other two games will be streamed online on ESPN3.

Weber State at James Madison Friday night. Wofford at North Dakota State on Saturday.

SN: both D2 semifinal games will be streamed on ESPN3.

Texas A&M-Commerce beats Harding 31-17 to advance the Division 2 National Championship. Will face West Florida.

In Division 3

Mount Union beats Wisconsin-Oshkosh 43-40

Mary Hardin-Baylor blanks Brockport 24-0

Mt Union vs MHB in the Stagg Bowl.

IIRC this will be the last year the D3 championship will be played in Salem, Virginia (for now). Next year's game will move to Texas.

1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

Mount Union defeats Mary Hardin-Baylor 12-0 to win the Division 3 national championship in the Stagg Bowl!

Worked on the chain crew for this game, it wasn’t as cold as last year, however the wind was brutal in the 2nd half

Archived