Are the Ottawa Senators in the midst of changing their primary logo?

Luke_Groundrunner

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a very popular logo in Ottawa and the heritage jersey is seen more than the standard jerseys around town.  Tom Anselmi has said he was open to a rebrand of the team when he came in as president last winter, but too late for the Adidas switchover.  The Roman imagery has never really gone over well around here since it was introduced in 1991.  People embrace it because it's the hometown team, but it's never been a brand that people *love*.  Going full heritage has been really popular around these parts.  And they went that road with Belleville this year.

While I'm pretty sure this is where they're going, I kind of hope they'd do a little more with it before it becomes final.  Maybe merging the eras by sublimating laurel leaves inside the O or something like that.

27 minutes ago, Webhamster said:

It's a very popular logo in Ottawa and the heritage jersey is seen more than the standard jerseys around town.  Tom Anselmi has said he was open to a rebrand of the team when he came in as president last winter, but too late for the Adidas switchover.  The Roman imagery has never really gone over well around here since it was introduced in 1991.  People embrace it because it's the hometown team, but it's never been a brand that people *love*.  Going full heritage has been really popular around these parts.  And they went that road with Belleville this year.

While I'm pretty sure this is where they're going, I kind of hope they'd do a little more with it before it becomes final.  Maybe merging the eras by sublimating laurel leaves inside the O or something like that.

I always got the point of the Roman imagery, but it's bugged me a little that the logo's a soldier and not, y'know, a Senator.

1 hour ago, RichO said:

I always got the point of the Roman imagery, but it's bugged me a little that the logo's a soldier and not, y'know, a Senator.

The whole Roman theme has always felt forced and disconnected from Ottawa and Canada. While I have jerseys and t-shirts with that logo (wearing one now) I've never felt it was where the brand should be.  Nor do I think they should just bring the heritage jersey to full time status without modifications.

- Heritage jersey is fine, just use actual white.

- Take the O logo and place the shield motif from the shoulder logo behind it with laurel leaves sublimated in the O or on the shield.

- Take the Peace Tower/Maple Leaf shoulder logo from the early 2000's alt and clean it up and modernize it for the shoulders.  Maybe bring back the "Est. MDCCCXCIV" from the original should logo into the new one

- I also like the silver idea in the new sweater (even though it's a hot mess) so maybe swap the gold for silver and trim the logos (chest and shoulder) accordingly.

7 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I don’t understand the love for the profile logo.  It’s clearly less dynamic than the 3/4 version, and it’s not timeless enough to claim a kind of classical dignity. 

For me, personally, I'll admit that it's nostalgia. I remember getting the original black sweater for Christmas in 92 or 93, and I have loved the logo ever since. However, it may not have aged too well.

I think that the updated Centurions logos look too cartoon-like for my liking. And I am definitely not a fan of the =0= logo at all. I don't know where they should go in terms of a logo.

Archived