Are the Ottawa Senators in the midst of changing their primary logo?

Luke_Groundrunner

venf9fmhgnsawnxxvehf.gif50.gifjhepegs329pc7ugyypebl28wg.gif1079172014.gifOttawa Senators (2008 - Pres)161.gif

I dunno. Seems to fit with some of the other teams.

Yes, it's a dull boring old-tymey bland letter on a Congress of Ukrainian Nationalism flag.  But that's what it seems like they're trying to do.  It's O6 Dressup without the copying of an O6 team. if anything they're trying to play pre-O6 dressup. But it just sorta....fits.  perhaps if the original Senators had been able to last and not go to St. Louis and still wearing the Times Roman =O= it would be considered a benchmark legacy identity that can't be touched.  If anything, this is a prime example of the mindset of "if this team did it nowadays, it would be mocked and ridiculed for being unimaginative" 

I say they go all out with it.  Embrace the O, go full barberpole, and not the two lines half-assed one.  I mean FULL BARBERPOLE

134893.jpg

Keep the Centurion as a 3rd with the PROPER 2D aspect, and put it on the shoulders, and absolutely own the look. People have mentioned that certain teams should own a color in their league? have the Sens own an entire LOOK

(At least until the Seattle Metropolitans show up and do their red/green/white barberpole)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I can certainly get behind a switch to the O logo if it comes with a full barberpole uni. Then the logo is helping to tell the story of their brand, if it ends up being used as a standalone jersey crest then it is just saying "Hey, remember when we looked good? Cool, us too, but we don't want to look good anymore."

While I understand the argument that the O is boring, it's still very historical and since the Sens claim the titles of the original team, they'd want to be more like the original team. It's still miles ahead of the :censored: they wear now. My ideal jersey would be the barberpole set with the side-view centurion, the peace tower logo on the shoulders, and the O logo on a throwback alternate.

@noe38concepts (Instagram - Twitter)

spacer.png

3 hours ago, BrianLion said:

yes, as in unoriginal. Oh look a team made their primary logo the first letter in the name of their city!  Ground-breaking stuff. 

Derivative specifically requires something to derive from, though.  It means an imitation of another work.  That's why I was confused by the word choice.

By itself, I don't love the O.  But when they put the red and black bars behind it, it's a really solid logo.  Simple yet distinctive, reads well at small sizes for social media.

Sens_01.png

On 2017-11-15 at 7:06 PM, Morgo said:

Doesn't change the fact that they both look like complete :censored:

On 2017-09-10 at 2:42 AM, Morgo said:

Their fans and the majority of posters on here disagree.

3 hours ago, Pharos04 said:

venf9fmhgnsawnxxvehf.gif50.gifjhepegs329pc7ugyypebl28wg.gif1079172014.gifOttawa Senators (2008 - Pres)161.gif

Every other logo illustrates their team's namesake in a creative, visually appealing manner.  Or in Boston's case, furthers the civic connection in an interesting and dynamic way.  The =O= is just a letter on two stripes and nothing more.  Nothing about it says "Senator" or even "Ottawa" and it looks laughably out of place here.  Unlike the logo below.

n6XGZHT.png

4 minutes ago, Morgo said:

Nothing about it says "Senator" or even "Ottawa" and it looks laughably out of place here.

I don't think they'd want a stylized old guy on their jerseys.

2d9738l.jpg

As much as I like the 2D centurion logo, it doesn't really depict a senator, but a centurion. Maybe they could be the Cens?

@noe38concepts (Instagram - Twitter)

spacer.png

33 minutes ago, Morgo said:

Maybe the majority of Ottawa fans are impressed with the "O," arguable point.  But on these boards it appears just as many people (if not more) prefer the updated 2D-Centurion.

Well which one should matter to the Ottawa Senators? I say the Ottawa Senators fanbase. 

As for your quote I pulled up? I’m merely pointing out the hypocracy in defending the Avs’ innagural/current look with “it’s what the fans want” while dismissing the Senators fanbase when it comes to the Heritage identity. 

If you just *like* the Avs’ innagural look and *dislike* the Sens’ Heritage look for aesthetic reasons then fine. 

Let’s dispense with trying to couch it all in terms of what “the fans want” though. If you’re going to play that card? It has to be played consistently. 

Is the Blue Jackets' logo really a "C"?  I just thought it was a flag flying around a star.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 hours ago, Pharos04 said:

Yes, it's a dull boring old-tymey bland letter on a Congress of Ukrainian Nationalism flag.  But that's what it seems like they're trying to do.  It's O6 Dressup without the copying of an O6 team. if anything they're trying to play pre-O6 dressup. But it just sorta....fits.  perhaps if the original Senators had been able to last and not go to St. Louis and still wearing the Times Roman =O= it would be considered a benchmark legacy identity that can't be touched.  If anything, this is a prime example of the mindset of "if this team did it nowadays, it would be mocked and ridiculed for being unimaginative" 

I say they go all out with it.  Embrace the O, go full barberpole, and not the two lines half-assed one.  I mean FULL BARBERPOLE

134893.jpg

Keep the Centurion as a 3rd with the PROPER 2D aspect, and put it on the shoulders, and absolutely own the look. People have mentioned that certain teams should own a color in their league? have the Sens own an entire LOOK

(At least until the Seattle Metropolitans show up and do their red/green/white barberpole)

There's a little more going on with those logos than just a plain, boring O.  I agree with you that had the original Senators stuck around and never changed from the O, then it would get a pass.  

One problem with going full barber pole is that is the Ottawa 67's look.  Sure, they took it from the original Senators, but it's become their look.  The current Heritage jersey evokes the past, but there's enough of a difference to stand out from the 67's.

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Is the Blue Jackets' logo really a "C"?  I just thought it was a flag flying around a star.

It's the distinctive flag of Ohio forming a C for Columbus. Come to think of it, the star doesn't do much heavy lifting, does it?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

As for your quote I pulled up? I’m merely pointing out the hypocracy in defending the Avs’ innagural/current look with “it’s what the fans want” while dismissing the Senators fanbase when it comes to the Heritage identity. 

Well that just isn't true.  My reasons for defending the Av's inaugural look were two-fold; firstly because I thought it looked good and secondly because of the talent, winning seasons and two championships associated with it.  I also didn't think the Navy alternate you like represented those winning years as it took more cues from the team the New Jersey Devils used to be.  The fact that they beat that team for one of their championships made it seem even more inappropriate.

4 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Well which one should matter to the Ottawa Senators? I say the Ottawa Senators fanbase.

This point I can't argue.  For whatever reason, the fan-base has taken to the heritage look and that's more important than my visual taste.  I'll have to live with it but it will never look better than any of the pre-edge, roman-themed uniforms to my eyes.

5 hours ago, Morgo said:

Every other logo illustrates their team's namesake in a creative, visually appealing manner.  Or in Boston's case, furthers the civic connection in an interesting and dynamic way.  The =O= is just a letter on two stripes and nothing more.  Nothing about it says "Senator" or even "Ottawa" and it looks laughably out of place here.  Unlike the logo below.

n6XGZHT.png

Actually that logo doesn't say "Senator".  It says "Roman Soldier". 

That guy's gonna have to do a whole lot of killing before they even think of letting him be a senator.

9 hours ago, Pharos04 said:

134893.jpg

I would love the full barberpole sweater but I can easily see the Sens giving us a partial barberpole homage design in the form of stripes across the chest and sleeves. 

NYCdog.png

On 11/17/2017 at 7:48 AM, Gothamite said:

I don’t understand the love for the profile logo.  It’s clearly less dynamic than the 3/4 version, and it’s not timeless enough to claim a kind of classical dignity. 

I think it’s a contemporary take on a pretty classically-styled mark. Good enough to eventually become timeless had they used it and had some success. Plus, the nod to the Ottawa flag in it is just second to none when it comes to fun, hidden elements in a logo. The problem for me is that the Roman theme never felt specific to Ottawa, and the imagery always seemed like a stretch for a team called the Senators.

On the other hand, I rarely like 3/4 logos. They always seem to hit the uncanny valley, and the fact that they are almost always executed in static media kills any semblance of dynamism for me. They feel less like logos or marks and more like little illustrations or cartoons, and they almost never feel timeless. I think it goes beyond logos, too. That weird nickel they tried to do a few years ago with Jefferson looking at you was downright creepy, while classic profile coins always seem perfectly dignified. Maybe it’s just a familiarity thing. The only 3/4 logo I really like is the new Panthers mark.

15 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Definitely a C. It’s exceedingly rare to see an Ohio flag depicted with the canton on the right, so it’s clearly intentional if you’re an Ohioan.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived