Sign in to follow this  
Luke_Groundrunner

Are the Ottawa Senators in the midst of changing their primary logo?

12 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Actually that logo doesn't say "Senator".  It says "Roman Soldier". 

Yes, you're right oldschool...but what are ya going to do? Unfortunately, in today's Canada, a senator is an "old fart at the public trough". 

Matt Larkin over at The Hockey News probably nailed it when he wrote..

"This franchise has never fielded a truly winning crest, and maybe the name deserves the blame. When you're called the Senators, your logo is doomed to be boring or innaccurate – or both."

A real Senate inspired logo doesn’t have to be boring. Just base it on the Peace Tower,  put that in a roundel and there you go, you have a logo which represents Senators and an O for Ottawa. 

I sure hope they are.  Let's get as many teams to have logos that are as dull and personality-less as possible.  We already had the Kings change from the crown to the home plate logo and the Lightning change to the clip art logo.  Now all we need is the Canucks to switch to the stick-in-rink, the Avalanche to switch to the Rockies logo, the Leafs to switch back to the Harold Ballard leaf, and the Jets to switch to the '90s logo and we'll be all set.

1 hour ago, anythinglogos said:

A real Senate inspired logo doesn’t have to be boring. Just base it on the Peace Tower,  put that in a roundel and there you go, you have a logo which represents Senators and an O for Ottawa. 

That's a design that's been used with frequency around here.

5935c1f4b66f9_ottawasenatorspeacetowerlogo5copy.png.e584a0af15fedc31e9928c7b76745795.png

(by @hockey week)

ogOoTOt.png

(by @mcrosby)

33534883413_e208c06721_h.jpg

(by me)

It's a crest design that combines the nickname, the history of hockey in Ottawa, and adds a little modern flair.

I have so many thoughts on this, so please bear with me...

On 11/19/2017 at 2:13 AM, SFGiants58 said:

That's a design that's been used with frequency around here.

5935c1f4b66f9_ottawasenatorspeacetowerlogo5copy.png.e584a0af15fedc31e9928c7b76745795.png

(by @hockey week)

ogOoTOt.png

(by @mcrosby)

33534883413_e208c06721_h.jpg

(by me)

It's a crest design that combines the nickname, the history of hockey in Ottawa, and adds a little modern flair.

The problem with all these Peace Tower logos I keep seeing is that the tower is the only element within this big empty logo. It feels small.

I've always felt that the =O= logo should take some inspiration from the Ottawa Construction Company, a logo that seems to get everything right with the O/Peace Tower connection.

logo-rc-OCA.png

Here we see the tower poking out of the top of the O, and the adjacent parliamentary buildings surrounding it. As a result, I feel that the logo looks a bit less awkward.

Another thing to consider is that the original wordmark would be perfect on the helmets & pants, should the Sens ever go with the black/red/white/light green combo. (ed. note: the Sens should totally adopt black/red/white/light green as their colour scheme)

sa2i1efxvfqqy6w3fg9vjbsls.gif

Unknown-2.jpg

@SFGiants58 Really love the concept, the striping is spot on. That being said, I would let the chest-stripe continue behind the O & the tower. That big chunk of white back there looks... empty. What might be good is a thin outline of white around the inside & outside of the logo. Or maybe just a black bg on the home jersey. Either way that's a big white gap on a black sweater, y'know?