CFL in Halifax coming soon?

dcameronh

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Atlantic" is such a lousy place name. It sounds like representing an entire ocean. They should be a Halifax team, of course, but if that's absolutely not an option because it'll hurt feelings in Charlottetown, then I suppose "Maritime" would have to do. But none of it matters if the IceEdge clowns are the ones behind this.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, BigRed618 said:

I don’t suppose the CFL would be interested in trying American expansion again? 

54 minutes ago, clonewars2008 said:

Maybe In the future, but they need to be smart. 

IF they do, they gotta stay in the North and target second-tier cities. Portland, Boise, Milwaukee, Omaha, Salt Lake City, Providence, Hartford.

17 hours ago, the admiral said:

So I am officially out of ideas, then.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

12 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Hit me with that late 2000s nostalgia!

... "At least we're not Detroit!"

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

8 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Waaay too small.

Quebec City may be worthy, but Halifax is miles ahead of Moncton or London and especially Windsor. Windsorites can travel 10 minutes through the tunnel and see the Lions, or 45 minutes and watch Michigan. Not to mention University of Windsor games. The CFL would fail miserably. 

I honestly think London could work. Western Mustangs football is one of the top programs in the country and their games are a huge draw in the city, very popular here. The TiCats used to hold training camp and a pre-season game at Western back in the early 2000's

I would think Hamilton takes London out of the equation, along with the fact that southern Ontario is OHL country and you're cluttering the sports marketplace with what would be a low-priority team. 

It should be between Halifax (largest population in the Maritimes) and Moncton (centralized location for various Maritime towns). From what I understand, football is fairly popular out east. 

11 hours ago, the admiral said:

I would think Hamilton takes London out of the equation, along with the fact that southern Ontario is OHL country and you're cluttering the sports marketplace with what would be a low-priority team. 

It should be between Halifax (largest population in the Maritimes) and Moncton (centralized location for various Maritime towns). From what I understand, football is fairly popular out east. 

Agreed. Plus, anyone from London can make the 75 minute trek to Hamilton pretty easily. 

sig.png

Yes, finally let's get the 10th team so it can end the numerous bye weeks 9 teams involve. And will all the nay sayers and NIMBYs please leave their opinions to a minimum, and let the league resolve this issue? Maybe it will make the league prosper and grow, it might falter, any ways it's worth a try.

23 hours ago, the admiral said:

"Atlantic" is such a lousy place name. It sounds like representing an entire ocean. They should be a Halifax team, of course, but if that's absolutely not an option because it'll hurt feelings in Charlottetown, then I suppose "Maritime" would have to do. But none of it matters if the IceEdge clowns are the ones behind this.

It's a regional name, look at the New England Patriots...just because they're based in that city, doesn't mean they're obligated to use that city's name!

Yes, the Patriots play in a stadium located between Boston and Providence, so that's why they are called New England. But you get the point I'm trying to make.

Yeah, "Atlantic" is just a particularly unsuitable word. IIt's more adjective than noun, like when NFL Europe had teams from cities and then the "Scottish Claymores."

21 hours ago, Kaz said:

That's a decent argument for Maritime, but it doesn't make Atlantic any better as a regional name.  If a team was located in Fort Wayne but wanted to draw fans from Indianapolis by naming themselves Midwest it would be just as stupid as Atlantic.

OK what if there was a sports team based in Grand Rapids, MI and had Great Lakes as a regional name? And there are some travel hockey and youth soccer teams using Great Lakes for that...oh and there is University of Pacific out in California that has college sport teams. Yes it is the name of the school so that's different, but never the less...

Archived