HRC4's Logolympiad Portfolio

HRC4

I'll open this by stating I have zero expectations of myself for this whole thing, due to the amazing job others do here on a regular basis. New creations are NOT my forte as I usually rely on recoloring others' work and take those and make 3D logos and animations. C&C definitely welcomed (it doesn't even have to be constructive) as I hope to get better at this whole create from scratch thing.

First up: Event 1

owipyCJ.png

Self-reflection: The blue turned out more purple than I wanted it. I originally thought that "PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL FEDERATION" just needed to get added underneath the logo, and since I didn't want to start over from scratch, it feels forced into the the spot created for "PFF" leaving a couple empty areas towards the lower right of the logo. The last thing I realize I should have done (especially after looking at everyone else's entries) is fit in something dealing with actual football somewhere in there. Like I said, zero expectations of myself (and that's exactly how many points I got), but looking to improve. Let me know where else you see things I could be doing better.

Thanks

XcryMwi.png

• HRC4 changed the title to HRC4's Logolympiad Portfolio

I like the simplicity of the concept.

I had it as a top 5, but what made it dropped was the "treatment". 

I thought the "embroidery/brushed metal effect" and the drop shadow were attempt to 'oversell" your concept.

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

On 11/17/2017 at 12:54 AM, Frenchie said:

I like the simplicity of the concept.

I had it as a top 5, but what made it dropped was the "treatment". 

I thought the "embroidery/brushed metal effect" and the drop shadow were attempt to 'oversell" your concept.

Yeah - the effect made it stand out in a negative way upon further review. There were time that I looked at it and could barely see it. As soon as I opened up the whole portfolio of entries, I knew I went overboard on that.

I appreciate all of the words, and I can't disagree with anything written. Unfortunately I wasn't able to take these suggestions to heart prior to submitting my entry for event 2. :(

XcryMwi.png

This one was rough, being only 1 of 2 entries to receive 0 votes (and deservedly so). I overdid the overlay on the logo and the word mark again. I went for simple this time, and probably overshot. My other biggest regret was not putting SOME white on the dark jerseys. If I were to do this all over again, I would have tried to make the striping of the jersey match up with the striping of the shorts. As soon as I opened up the full gallery, I knew I didn't have a shot on this one. Silver lining is there's no where to go but up. Does anyone know if they hand out participation awards?

HvFZ8Ru.png

XcryMwi.png

This isn't a terrible set. I think that you've got a great idea here, just a little lacking in execution. The jerseys don't look awful and neither is your wordmark, but the logo has a clipart feel to it. Like you said, nowhere to go but up, and I think you've got a very high ceiling. 

spacer.png

Well said Bucknut, I think the thing that took away from this was that it felt so simple, in an unfinished sort of way. There's plenty of redeeming qualities here though, they just need to be fleshed out.

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

HgVbSZ0.png

Not only did I finally get a vote, but I actually finished 3rd. While I didn't do a whole lot with this other than make the number on the back and put everything in a spot on the jersey, I'm pretty satisfied with how this one turned out. IMO, this looks like something that a team would actually wear. I'm happy!!

XcryMwi.png

I tried to redo my first even entry. I removed all of the effects from it. Removed the stripes and then it felt too empty. I don't necessarily love the blue but felt too empty without it. It's still not perfect (far from it), but I think it's better than it was. Also, for what it's worth, I don't think that I would ever use the version with the entire name written out. I like the look of just "PFF" better.

BAgG1BO.png

XcryMwi.png

4 hours ago, HRC4 said:

I tried to redo my first even entry. I removed all of the effects from it. Removed the stripes and then it felt too empty. I don't necessarily love the blue but felt too empty without it. It's still not perfect (far from it), but I think it's better than it was. Also, for what it's worth, I don't think that I would ever use the version with the entire name written out. I like the look of just "PFF" better.

BAgG1BO.png

Way better! The PFF one looks really nice. The other one has the script a little bit off centre due to the shield shape, maybe not tilting the script could help.

38665609364_bedb96967e_o.png                                                                                        spacer.pngMy Behance                                                                                                   

This one was rough and I knew heading into the voting it would struggle to get any votes. I wanted to try to incorporate the mane cutouts, but couldn't get anything to look great. I was swamped at work all week that this one was due and wanted to make sure I got something in so things definitely were rushed on this one.

U1055cc.png

XcryMwi.png

I got my 2nd top 6 finish and was pretty proud of this one. Being a typical American, I know very little about Canada and anything that relates to Ottawa. I did try Googling "Ottawa Exports" and "what is Ottawa famous for" but yielded very few concrete results. I had no idea the Peace Tower was a thing and when I opened up the whole album and saw logo after logo displaying the same tower I figured mine wasn't specific enough to Ottawa or Canada to medal. Had I done a little bit more research, I could have tried to squeeze something in there to make it fit the location a little better. Other than that, I do think I made a pretty good, though rather generic, logo for this event.

OfDHoqL.png

XcryMwi.png

I thought this was brilliant and was one of my vote-getters. My early attempts were to come up with a texture like that, but I couldn't figure it out for the life of me, so I was rather jealous.

rATMcmK.png

I got my 2nd medal for this one. Basically, I've figured out that if it's just making a jersey, I do a lot better than if I need to completely come up with something from scratch. I'm pretty happy with how this turned out. Some things that I had considered before submitting was doing more with the socks or trying to make it so that both pairs of shorts weren't predominately navy blue, but I couldn't get just yellow and gray to look good together.

iVCH77e.png

XcryMwi.png

• 2 weeks later...

And now we get to the rushed portion of the portfolio. I just got done giving finals and life has been quite busy the past couple weeks concluding the semester. I didn't give any of the remaining entries my full 100% focus and everything was thrown together last minute. The results followed that idea with all of these collecting very few votes.

D0CKoN9.png

I tried doing up an actual devil/demon, but everything that I was using for inspiration was SOOOOOOOOO much better than what I was putting together. Probably didn't need 2 hockey sticks, but it looked too empty with just one.

9Ou3rae.png

I had the idea for the cube looking logo pretty quick, but waited until just prior to the deadline to finish everything up. The font does NOT go with the logo at all. Again, quite rushed. Also, I didn't read the rules close enough that the black and white logo couldn't be gray scale, which led to the obnoxious pattern on the top of the logo.

rbQdFmK.png

I was disappointed I didn't get more votes for this one (somehow the lone vote I got for this one was a gold - shout out to whoever did that for me). While not having anything overly flashy, I thought this looked like something that would actually be out on the field. Oh well. With one more event to go, I overall did better than I planned (again - zero expectations entering).

As always, C&C welcome.

XcryMwi.png

The conception of the Demonz logo was fantastic. My issue was that the linework was a bit thin. It looked like there was a shade of red that wasn't in the original logo, which actually made me wonder how it qualified. 

The good things about the S logo are that it was clever, carrying the "smart" idea, and it would shrink really well, which is important for a sportswear logo. We agree on the negative points.

For the Posse, the two shades of red looked too close to each other, and the hawk cluttered the logo. But the uniform has a nice, clean CFL look.

rATMcmK.png

Archived