NHL in Houston

Ark

13 hours ago, swisherHOU said:

I wasn’t here for the WHA Aeros but I know they are remembered fondly. The minor league team was supported very well. I think it would be a mistake to name a team in Houston anything but the Aeros.

Nuff said. Anything else would be a disconnect to history. Even with a fanvote, Aeros would be in the lead. Only way that a team can not use a historical name is if someone else is using it.

6 hours ago, Morgo said:

Aeros would be perfectly acceptable if we didn't already have the Jets.  They would need something a little more unique.

6 hours ago, 29texan said:

Add to that, their original colors nearly match Winnipeg... 

e29dcdb3a9812fb205c5e1f4f7e2448f.gif

We could go red or orange (or hell, red and orange maybe with black, grey or any shade of blue) to differ with Winnipeg and Dallas. A Winnipeg/Houston feud could be called the Air Raid. Especially if the future Houston Aeros end up being a relocated Phoenix Coyotes.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, 29texan said:

Adding to that, their original colors nearly match Winnipeg... 

e29dcdb3a9812fb205c5e1f4f7e2448f.gif

Yes, the colours nearly match Winnipeg and the uniforms are as cliched as it gets with their diagonal text, clip-art shoulder patches and tired northwestern striping.  If Houston were to get an expansion franchise, they'd be better suited going the Vegas route and creating something new.  Vegas knocked it out of the park and it'd be great to see that originality continued in a brand new identity.

18 minutes ago, wildwing64 said:

Mind you, it would be funny in a way if the Coyotes end up becoming the new Aeros.

If that happens, it wouldn't surprise me to see the 1972-1996 and 2011-present Winnipeg Jets records unified so that we can go 12 rounds on that tedious argument again.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

32 minutes ago, the admiral said:

If that happens, it wouldn't surprise me to see the 1972-1996 and 2011-present Winnipeg Jets records unified so that we can go 12 rounds on that tedious argument again.

Well, if we are going to do that, then we might as well say that the current Ottawa Senators actually won those Stanley Cups which they have banners hanging up at the Canadian Tire Centre for.  Same city, same name; it is all the same, right?

Go light blue, white, silver, and red - like the Oilers.  Maybe a red primary with silver / light blue trim, and a light blue alt with red and silver trim.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The AHL Aeros drew well, finishing 7th in the league in attendance their final year of 2012-13, 5th in 2011-12, and 9th in 2010-11. 

As for uniforms, I think these would be a pretty good starting point. Almost 90s Whalers colours.

0614-aeros_LRG.jpg

4053_houston_aeros_au.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

1 hour ago, M4One said:

Well, if we are going to do that, then we might as well say that the current Ottawa Senators actually won those Stanley Cups which they have banners hanging up at the Canadian Tire Centre for.  Same city, same name; it is all the same, right?

I would not care one single bit if the Senators did that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Maybe we don’t have to call them the Aeros if it’s that unpopular, but it would still be nice to have a space theme to it. A while back I made a concept of a potential NHL team in Houston that I named the Apollos. Also red and light blue would look great together. The Nordiques pulled it off alright. 

What if they used an alien-themed name? Martians, Wayfarers, Travellers, Extraterrestrials (X's for short,) Xenos, Starfighters, Cyborgs, Galaxians, Invaders, that’s all I can think of for now.

Go with Apollos or any of those other names that seem to always be in the discussion whenever some sport is expanding to Houston.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Aeros is a fun name and a great fit for a Houston team. Unfortunately it would be difficult to establish their brand while avoiding jet imagery and double blue (Winnipeg) and star imagery and green (Dallas.) I think I want to see navy and orange but I'm not sure how everyone feels about being so similar to the Astros.

48 minutes ago, Bmac said:

Aeros is a fun name and a great fit for a Houston team. Unfortunately it would be difficult to establish their brand while avoiding jet imagery and double blue (Winnipeg) and star imagery and green (Dallas.) I think I want to see navy and orange but I'm not sure how everyone feels about being so similar to the Astros.

Or, ahem, the Oilers.

1 hour ago, BelfourThibault said:

Also, for those who are talking about relocation as opposed to expansion, two words on why that will never happen: "expansion fees". 

I honestly don't think that matters.

If an owner wants to move a team, he or she will make it happen regardless of any fees. Ask Atlanta.... 

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

Archived