NHL in Houston

Ark

On 12/11/2017 at 1:41 PM, chcarlson23 said:

The NHL, and the game of hockey in general, (whatever ruling body you want,) should help diversify the game more before trying to push south. Maybe make sure that the teams in the traditional markets are doing well, and are the #1, #2 team in that city... And then maybe see if a city like Houston could work. If the game is brought to more attention on a national level, and reaches all sorts of people, not just the rich white people, then maybe the "Grow the Game" initiative might actually work... 

Yeah, that's what I've always said: take care of your backyard first and then expand, and most importantly, do something about the costs of participation spiraling out of control! The game is rotting from the inside out with so many people unable to afford to play, to say nothing of going to NHL games.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/11/2017 at 4:05 PM, Cardsblues02 said:

Houston is a perfectly suited place to support hockey. IMO, just a matter of time. IMO, hockey can work in Miami. No need to have teams in PHX and Carolina though. Other than that I am fine with the Sun Belt having hockey. 

Houston Swamp Dragons

Colors: Green, Purple and Gold

...Swamp Dragons? Green, Purple, and Gold?

It's Houston, not New Orleans. 

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

If I understand the television territories correctly, Houston already gets Stars games on Fox Sports Southwest since they have no Rockets games on there to conflict, so if "you're not making new fans" has been your argument against Hartford or Quebec City, it kinda has to be here, too.

It's weird. Houston hates Dallas. Dallas hates Houston. I went to Corpus Christi about ten years ago for a class for work. Wore Stars stuff because I mean.... I own a lot of Stars stuff.

Had a few come up to me to talk trash. As wild fans... since the Aeros were the farm team.

Doubt many people in Houston watch Stars games.

Well, people in Dallas don't, either:

The Stars' disappointing season was matched by disappointing TV ratings. For 79 games on FSSW, they averaged a 0.4 rating. That's about 10,850 homes in Dallas-Fort Worth.

That's down from the 0.6 the Stars averaged on FSSW last season. From 2011-12 to last season, the Stars have averaged a 0.6.
And so you know: The highest-rated game was a Jan. 26 home victory over the Buffalo Sabres. It scored a 1.2 rating and was the only game of the season to score above a 1.0.

thump-thump

oh point!

thump-thump

four!

6 hours ago, ColeJ said:

It's weird. Houston hates Dallas. Dallas hates Houston. I went to Corpus Christi about ten years ago for a class for work. Wore Stars stuff because I mean.... I own a lot of Stars stuff.

Had a few come up to me to talk trash. As wild fans... since the Aeros were the farm team.

Doubt many people in Houston watch Stars games.

Yeah, Houstonians dont like the Stars. Just a Dallas-Houston thing.

So people in one major city of a sub-national entity are not easily made fans of a team in another major city of a sub-national entity, c'est peut-être un...breakthrough?

or maybe this is a sterling argument for Houston because the Stars need a major rival so that they don't have more people tweeting about their whimsical jumbotron than they have actually watching Stars games on TV

• 2 months later...

Archived