Steelman's Logolympiad Portfolio

Steelman

I've always been too scared to get critique because everyone on here is amazing, but since I'm going to try to hit every event this year I thought it'd be helpful to get some real feedback this time. Please give it to me straight. I've been out of the professional game for a little too long and I feel like what little skill I had/have is slipping. I've always been more of a league-creator type guy, but I really want to get better at logos and designs. I already missed the 2nd event, so I'll post what I would have submitted after the voting is over. Until then, here's the first event.

Event 1

Of course the event had to start off with a scratch logo, my super weak point.

d5gQFZM.png

What could I have done better? :)

Honestly, it's a great logo. The competition for this event was really stiff. The only thing that put it just outside my top 3--and this is a matter of personal taste--is that the color palette didn't feel "football" enough to me.

rATMcmK.png

For me the main problem was the logo shape as all others elements are pretty good. I'd like those kind of logos to have a more shieldy feel, this is definitely looking like a football field logo to me, but, again, this is just personal taste.

38665609364_bedb96967e_o.png                                                                                        spacer.pngMy Behance                                                                                                   

18 hours ago, Whittier S said:

Honestly, it's a great logo. The competition for this event was really stiff. The only thing that put it just outside my top 3--and this is a matter of personal taste--is that the color palette didn't feel "football" enough to me.

Thank you. Yeah, I agree about the color palette. I think I got stuck on it and looking back it looks too much like the Titans and less of a league. I guess I was trying to avoid a classic red-white-blue combo.

11 hours ago, Pulv! said:

For me the main problem was the logo shape as all others elements are pretty good. I'd like those kind of logos to have a more shieldy feel, this is definitely looking like a football field logo to me, but, again, this is just personal taste.

Thanks, Pulv. That makes a lot of sense. I was originally looking for a shield shape but it kinda went on its own direction.

Thanks guys!

I think this logo was a classic case of not knowing what the designer was going for. Without knowing, this looks like a shadow of a classic dome to me. And that's what knocked it down in my case. If I see a dome, I don't think of a specific sport, and definitely not football (I'm from Green Bay, I want my football outside).

Archived