hettinger_rl's Logolympiad Entry Feedback

hettinger_rl

Thought i'd start this thread up to get some feedback on my entries through out the competition. 

So check back and let me here your C&C.

Still can't attach my own images, but here is my Event 1 entry via URL link:

Z6S0pAkOrz97czLdz8TBvyJMdqq7hErrXrhj6Or7

I thought about using a unique/different color scheme, but bailed in the last hour before I sent the entry:

I4iFVxeLgEYl_Kmz7nrocP8Q6AH4N5GPbecmf2WZ

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

I did vote for one of these (the Sockeyes) and not the other (PFF).

The League Logo was the PFF one, and honestly, it got lost in the group of logos that all used the RWB scheme. However, I don't know if the different color scheme would've set it apart in a way that would've garnered more votes.

I like the color scheme you chose for the Sockeyes more than the Sonics scheme. And, again, I did vote this in my top 3. It was a good identity, it has a unique uniform without being "gimmicky". I think a red uniform might've been a touch better, if only so the striping on the side matched the fish in the logo.

37 minutes ago, Dan O'Mac said:

I did vote for one of these (the Sockeyes) and not the other (PFF).

The League Logo was the PFF one, and honestly, it got lost in the group of logos that all used the RWB scheme. However, I don't know if the different color scheme would've set it apart in a way that would've garnered more votes.

I like the color scheme you chose for the Sockeyes more than the Sonics scheme. And, again, I did vote this in my top 3. It was a good identity, it has a unique uniform without being "gimmicky". I think a red uniform might've been a touch better, if only so the striping on the side matched the fish in the logo.

I agree, it got lost and it's pretty "your league here" looking.

Thanks for the Event 2 vote, I had high hopes for this one. I tried to use some Tlinget imagery (ala the Seahawks) but in a subtle way. I felt like maybe the voters were looking "uni first and logo second" in their evaluations, and like you said I kept mu unis "gimmick free". I toyed with a red uni, but I get tired of the red overload in the NBA and wanted the team to be black and yellow with an accent or punch of red.

Thanks again!

I thought the color scheme was nice enough but felt wrong for Seattle. That's just my opinion for whatever it's worth. I do think the green color scheme works better and your logo and uniforms were top-notch otherwise

20 hours ago, 8BW14 said:

I thought the color scheme was nice enough but felt wrong for Seattle. That's just my opinion for whatever it's worth. I do think the green color scheme works better and your logo and uniforms were top-notch otherwise

Thanks, I had thought about using the concept as a Vancouver Sockeyes logo; but the named rolled better with Seattle.

Event 3: Alternate Uniform

For this event I was either going to use the Memphis Redbirds and make an Elvis jumpsuit look or the Nashville Sounds and make a 50s-60s style Nudie Suit. Rendering rhinestones proved more difficult than expected though. So I thought what other clothing screams country music style? And that's where the pearl-snap shirt came in. The Sounds' alternate guitar logo worked perfectly as the shoulder design and the rest fell in with little difficulty.

pl13jMxuDKL9SEVxyggEamdJXLufZXhT4tOqr8bQ  vA1hQz42bWRYvWNXiCPWDVVrWGqBSEgPSS3POjxE

This design garnered me a Silver medal and I thank all who contributed votes to it.

I also absolutely fell in love with this the second I saw it, and it reserved my gold vote right away. It is SO MiLB! I do have a few execution qualms including the front bottom side angles on the shoulder black, but i was totally blind to any issues because the idea was so freakin' good. Amazing job!

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

Event 4: Wordmark

I was going for a mix of gothic/regal. Using the location of Savannah worked well as it could be the town in GA or the African Savannah. I tried to incorporate some shapes from the logo into the wordmark. I got more votes than I was expecting and thanks to those who voted for this design.

HeZgdXIMnq_KcZewC9-LBIJIgBvPNMTaqxpLFebV

On 11/27/2017 at 10:10 AM, hettinger_rl said:

Event 3: Alternate Uniform

For this event I was either going to use the Memphis Redbirds and make an Elvis jumpsuit look or the Nashville Sounds and make a 50s-60s style Nudie Suit. Rendering rhinestones proved more difficult than expected though. So I thought what other clothing screams country music style? And that's where the pearl-snap shirt came in. The Sounds' alternate guitar logo worked perfectly as the shoulder design and the rest fell in with little difficulty.

pl13jMxuDKL9SEVxyggEamdJXLufZXhT4tOqr8bQ  vA1hQz42bWRYvWNXiCPWDVVrWGqBSEgPSS3POjxE

This design garnered me a Silver medal and I thank all who contributed votes to it.

On 11/27/2017 at 4:28 PM, Whittier S said:

I debated on voting for this uniform, but in the end, I decided the guitars were overkill. It was an incredibly clever idea overall.

I thought it was subdued in comparison to my reference material :P:

7805%20Rockmount.jpg

Event 5: Sporting Event - Canadian Dodgeball Open

My first thoughts for the design of this event were; maple leaf, Canadian Parliament, shield, flying red balls. The trouble here is that it seemed like a majority of others had the same thoughts! When I had finished my design I was quite satisfied with how it turned out, until I saw some of the other entries with similar ideas. Others took that similar idea and really rendered it much better. Overall though I am still pleased with the outcome and the few votes I did steal.

31m-4uX17Z4jjoHk6EcmxFVtjrRZgxBnEShzXuEy

I only had two complaints: 1. The dodgeball streaks looked a little janky and 2. The Parliament to me looked exactly like a coke bottle with a straw. But overall I liked the shape, the fonts you chose, and especially the overall idea. Definitely a good entry, nice work!

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

Event 7: Alternate Logo

I chose the Port Huron Prowlers because I think their current logo is a bit ridiculous and ambiguous. I set out to define what is prowling and how can we visually know where it is. I used a panther for the what and added the Blue Water Bridge to the logo to identify the where. I fit everything into a shield shape that could be dis-assembled to make a shoulder patch or stripe inspiration.

pRgy3K3zvBamCAoG1xSlPA3npDwrdvA7nRB13eSa

It was one of my vote-getters. It was a tough decision, only because an alternate logo is so tricky--it exists alongside a current logo, so must somehow fit the current branding, yet it can potentially serve as a rebrand. Because the Prowlers logo is so ridiculous (and simultaneously feels rather dated), my take on your logo was as a kind of fauxback. What put it into medal territory for me was simply that it was so well executed. I loved how you fit the bridge into the shield.

rATMcmK.png

On 12/8/2017 at 11:13 AM, hettinger_rl said:

Event 7: Alternate Logo

I chose the Port Huron Prowlers because I think their current logo is a bit ridiculous and ambiguous. I set out to define what is prowling and how can we visually know where it is. I used a panther for the what and added the Blue Water Bridge to the logo to identify the where. I fit everything into a shield shape that could be dis-assembled to make a shoulder patch or stripe inspiration.

pRgy3K3zvBamCAoG1xSlPA3npDwrdvA7nRB13eSa

Decided to take this panther further after all, it is big cat week on National Geographic :P ;

Made a black panther:

N3qLPkna4uhcqASOz3y3Jw7BrN3v_mtmTR8jmraX

A black panther is a black phase jaguar or leopard, I chose to go with jaguar:

bs-WwGFn50tkMU7hXNyJ9n8UOs0d3Pr7JnIlIztZalAiyliv2PX_iBEcdWKhEr30Sd26zgbSKhaD6IBo

Event 8 - Company Logo:

Here was my entry for Smart Sportswear. I wanted to show imagery that works for all sports and evokes thoughts of intelligence, ideas, smart, etc. The brain/bulb covered the intelligence but I struggled to think of a way to show all sports; using the pattern from a basketball only links to basketball. I thought "what do all sports use or have in common?" The answer was plays or Xs and Os. I earned a silver medal from this design:

kQfy_jDsLZ9hlI7yDC17pZ5HkYK1lu5ibAMoNXZP

I was thrown since the X's and O's are only for team sports, which didn't feel inclusive enough. I also thought that the logo didn't shrink down well the way a sportswear logo should, just too detailed.

rATMcmK.png

Archived