SplashBoogie Logolympiad Portfolio

SplashBoogie

This one was just barely left off my list.  You did some great work on the logo, and the white uniform wasn't bad, but the gray jersey didn't seem cohesive with the white at all.  The multicolored wordmark motif went away, and the blue/light blue side panels didn't work for me.  

I really liked this logo but the colour scheme was a bit off to me. The two tone blue and black- gray scheme is always very effective but IMO yellow really isn't binding with the rest. Before going with the Tritons in Seattle I designed a logo with a destroyer for Hampton Roads that was pretty similar to yours, just displaying a Arleigh Burke class destroyer. In the end I went with the Tritons so we didn't have the chance for the match up. I'm really curious about on what you based your cruiser as it looks a nice mix of old and new.

38665609364_bedb96967e_o.png                                                                                        spacer.pngMy Behance                                                                                                   

On 11/21/2017 at 10:13 PM, XenonDesigns said:

The logo itself is solid but there isn’t anything to tell me that it’s a basketball team or even a sports team at all. But besides that I really like how the ship comes out of the roundel and the overall design of the ship is very good.

I wanted to go more like the logos of the Spurs, Rockets and Bulls which are iconic without beating you over the head that they're a basketball team. Additionally I figured a ship on a basketball would land me too close to Clippers concepts I've seen in the past. I really wanted to emphasize a strong steel profile against the sky and basketball lines would've muddied that I feel.

15 hours ago, scottyeagle said:

This one was just barely left off my list.  You did some great work on the logo, and the white uniform wasn't bad, but the gray jersey didn't seem cohesive with the white at all.  The multicolored wordmark motif went away, and the blue/light blue side panels didn't work for me.  

I'll admit the I struggled with the gray. I let myself get away from my plan to have a steel and gold team since that would be a unique NBA color scheme but I couldn't get a gold striping that matched the whites that I liked (in retrospect could have just been due to design fatigue). I liked the striking blue as a tie in to the sea but kept myself married to the gold stripe on the pants and that hurt the overall cohesion. C'est la vie.

7 hours ago, Pulv! said:

I really liked this logo but the colour scheme was a bit off to me. The two tone blue and black- gray scheme is always very effective but IMO yellow really isn't binding with the rest. Before going with the Tritons in Seattle I designed a logo with a destroyer for Hampton Roads that was pretty similar to yours, just displaying a Arleigh Burke class destroyer. In the end I went with the Tritons so we didn't have the chance for the match up. I'm really curious about on what you based your cruiser as it looks a nice mix of old and new.

Steel and Gold were chosen as my colors from the jump and I had initially planned to do Admiral stripes on the jersey (I didn't like how this looked in the end). The two tone blue ended up as a happy accident to give the waves more energy. I nearly went with the name Destroyers but figured someone else would do that so I moved to Cruisers (and constantly worried about misspelling it). As for the ships I referenced, to be honest, I just google imaged "naval cruiser" but the two I ended up referring to the most was a Russian Slava Class and the USS Leahy.

tumblr_p3eoj4gyq71ufhi8uo1_1280.png

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

DPXdETzVoAAJBJF.jpg

Event 3! 

So my original plan was to do a black Isotopes uniform with a red to gold gradient across the front but I was torn between "what I thing would be a bold and unique decision" and "what would be a uniform I think would actually exist" and "what will people want to see and thus vote for"

I picked the later two and we got the marriage of the Houston Astros, Cincinnati Reds and Mardi Gras.

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

DPqGrgAV4AA6msd.jpg:large

My first Medal! To get to where we ended up I'll show where we started with. First I planned to use the purple and orange with a sort of sunset and shield combo and for some reason that evoked the Outback and so I decided Brisbane.

Which is absolutely not part of the Outback but never mind that.  The sunset idea dropped quickly but I like the idea of using the shield to tie the wordmark to the primary logo. The bottom of what I ended up with looked a bit bare so that's where the idea to put the lion face in came in.

DPr0zKoV4AEp28m.jpg:large

And then I ran into an issue: had I left wordmark and entered primary logo? I asked my little brother and he said yes. I asked a friend of mine and he said yes. I asked my girlfriend and she said yes. So that was that. But I liked what I had so I kept the bottom face defining a bit better so it would read more lion and less "non descript cat face" and took the stripings from the primary logo's mane and put those on the R and S from Royals and extended the line to have a sorta tag from the banner across the shield.

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Oops! Let's getcha caught up. Lawsuits piled up at work at I panicked on Event 5 and didn't get as good of a render on Parliament Building as I would've like for Event 5 so let's just mosey to event 6

DQ6WczEW4AEDbRF.jpg

I was torn between the Riptide and the Jazz and ended up going with Riptide because if I had gone Jazz I would have done a very believeable and conservative jersey and I really wanted to go with something daring. 

Similar to the Hampton Cruisers, the white jersey came to me rather quickly despite my relative disdain for gradients I loved it. The clash kit came from my love of the sash like the LA Galaxy. I went with an orange clash because I felt it created a stronger contrast between the white. I'm happy with what I did but because of how killer the winning kit was (also Riptides) a nonzero part of me wishes I had done the Jazz to stand out a bit more.

Oh well live and learn.

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

Archived