Finally Splurged on a Replica '67 Saints Jersey

BlueSky

As many here know, I've always much preferred the Saints' original shade of gold over the near-beige they wear now. I've thought about a '67 jersey for years now and finally pulled the trigger.

The original gold shows well in this pic of Gary Cuozzo, former Packers RB Jim Taylor, and Coach Tom Fears (HOF WR for the Rams) from their first training camp. Note that the helmets don't even have the full striping yet.  

[IMG] 

The company I went with, Tailgating Jerseys, did a pretty sweet job of replicating that look. I chose #23, originally worn in NO by former Bears DB Dave "Weasel" Whitsell from 1967-69. He was supposedly washed up when he went to the Saints at age 31. Well, not quite yet as it turns out; he became the Saints' first All-Pro in '67 after intercepting 10 passes (remember, that was a 14-game season), a Saints record that still stands today. Here's a gif of a couple of his steals. The second play has a good look at the jersey I was shooting for. My numbers are a little off, but that's my fault, as I approved them before noticing that only the black '67 jersey had the extra-wide number outlines. But the colors are good, the material is heavy, the construction is very solid, and all in all, for $129 shipped I'm very happy with it. 

[IMG] 

I chose #23 in Whitsell's honor and for the long line of exceptional Saints who have worn it, from bruising FBs Lorenzo Neal and Buford Jordan to the absolutely legendary and underrated Pierre Thomas to rising star Marshon Lattimore.

K9HFqWD.jpg

The new game-day gear debuted in Week 11 and instantly earned a starting role when the Saints rallied to beat Washington. Alas, it fell to 1-1 with last week's debacle in LA. We'll see how it's mojo does down the stretch. B)

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

BlueSky, you and I talked about this a few years ago, when there were companies like Home Run Derby and Yesteryear Sports doing old-school jerseys. Glad you finally pulled the trigger! Unfortunately, the photo of your jersey is not displaying— can you re-upload/re-post? Thanks!

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

On 11/28/2017 at 11:34 PM, darkhaha said:

BlueSky, you and I talked about this a few years ago, when there were companies like Home Run Derby and Yesteryear Sports doing old-school jerseys. Glad you finally pulled the trigger! Unfortunately, the photo of your jersey is not displaying— can you re-upload/re-post? Thanks!

Sorry - I can see the pic but I know posting from Google Photos is tricky. I'll try it again. (Don't get me started on those thieving bastards at Photobucket.)

Fixed (I think) - the problem may have been the sharing options weren't configured correctly. Posted below as well.

@FSUViking, ???. I don't understand that meme.

'67 Saints Replica

K9HFqWD.jpg

14 hours ago, darkhaha said:

Right, I regret not going with Home Run Derby because then they were gone. There are a couple of sources now and I was very pleased with how Harv at Tailgating Jerseys worked with me. He was very informative and patient with my questions. Working with him now on another one - a '69 black that replicates what the Saints were wearing at the first game I attended, vs. the Steelers in December of 1969. It will look like the one Kilmer is wearing here but with the NFL 50th season patch seen in the b/w photo, which they had added by December.

1969-saints-cowboys-billy-kilmer.jpg 

1969Saints49ersAction-4.jpg 

Thanks - really appreciate it. I goofed and ordered a size too big so there's that, but overall, I was impressed at how they created the knit sleeve stripes and the material, cut, and construction are all great quality. Trying to exercise some self-control here; I'm already planning to get a '69 version as noted above and I am VERY tempted to get a black '67 too.

On 11/29/2017 at 1:31 PM, Gothamite said:

Yes, it is.

And holy :censored: ing :censored: , does that look gorgeous.  More pics, please!

Here's the one the company sent me when it was finished. I goofed and ordered a size too big, and as noted previously, the shape of the numbers and the outlines aren't quite right, but I've accepted that no one other than me and CCSLC members will notice or care so I'm very happy with it. I've looked at a LOT of number fonts without finding an exact match to their '67-'68 numbers. It's block, but elongated, more narrow and tall that standard block. 

Back numbers on on mine are closer. Colors are a better match than it appears in this comparison, I think because of the light in the company pic. 

My '67 jersey

6zf7Oft.jpg

Real '67 jersey

20149a_lg.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Update - the vendor is having an issue finding the right gold for the '69 version the Saints wore. No problem - I decided to get a black '67 in the meantime! Worked with them to get the numbers closer this time as the ones on my white jersey aren't quite a match to what they wore.

I chose #22 this time. I like getting a number that resonates from then through today. Rookie RB Charlie Brown wore it in '67, Tracy Porter sealed the SB win wearing it and Mark Ingram carries on the tradition today. So here's Brown at left showing what I'm going for:

57cc36f3e05bc.image.jpg?resize=1200,801

They sent me a pic after they were cut but before being sewn on:

CTme1PL.jpg

Really looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Archived