National Championship Game host city bids  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

C4dwmkm.png

97OXDCI.png

nDLcAO0.png

On 12/12/2017 at 10:36 PM, JMurr said:

Navy would hardly, as I would imagine you would agree, be considered to be from the northeast.  Mid-Atlantic, Chesapeake, or Southern would better describe it regionally speaking.

Well, both Army and Navy are technically in the Northeast, but I don't really see them as regional schools.  They're schools of, by, and for the entire nation, as befits military institutions.  Hence, their independence from conferences (an inherently regional thing) seems appropriate, unlike a certain school in Northern Indiana I could mention (although my Grandfather, as an alum of that school, did argue that ND is the quasi-official CFB team of American Catholics).

Now I’ll confess I’m a west-coaster, so excuse my ignorance if I do expose it, but it has always seemed to me that in the northeast people have always cared more about professional sports then college. 

Well, as with all things, yes and no.  In CFB terms, we are a bit of a backwater, for sure (although then again, not long ago Pitt, Penn State, and BC were powerhouses, and in long-gone days of yore, the Ivies were the hub of the college football universe).  But in, say, Basketball, we are no better or worse than any other region, and we are the only stronghold of college hockey outside some areas of the Upper Midwest.

With all that having been said I find your statement “IMO, the lack of an established conference for that (the ACC was a mid-Atlantic thing till recently) caused a huge percentage of the conference alignment headaches we have today.” thought provoking.  Not only are you suggesting that modern conference alignment is a nightmare because of the mistakes in the past, you are in the same breath suggesting that the northeast has been the victim of this mismanagement and that has at the least contributed to poor historic performance and presence of northeastern college football programs.  Correct me if I have read too much into you statement.

That is exactly what I was saying.  Well, it isn't the only reason alignment is a trainwreck- the venality of Cable Providers can take a very healthy share of the blame for that.  But yes, the lack of a proper conference has hurt Northeastern Football a fair amount.  They had one for a little in the Big East, but then BC screwed it all up by jumping to the ACC (where they karmically regressed into mediocrity).  And the Big East didn't come soon enough to save the BU program, or keep the BC-HC rivalry alive, or keep the Lafayette-Lehigh rivalry (the oldest in College Football) in the FBS.  And the GW football program was canned and the Georgetown one consigned to FCS oblivion in large part because of the lack of a good conference to join (although I could see those two and Delaware going to the ACC rather than the Hypothetical Northeast Conference).

I think doing so provides me a little more advantage to create unique story lines for this thread and develop a little more original content.  So, let me just say this, in the world of the CBCS the committee, the sports media, and northeastern fans have begun a discussion on the subject.  The public discussion will put so much pressure on the NCAA, the CBCS, and the conferences that change is coming!  Stay tuned.

Awesome!

W5PzSPE.png

vCaeXhr.png

Xu8UW2D.png

3Paa6jW.png

oGE2fzJ.png

qef9kYl.png

A3FSyv2.png

Congratulations to Arkansas on their first CBCS National Championship.

At their annual meetings the CBCS committee makes some big announcements.  First of all, the CBCS will be done away with.  This is because the five power conferences along with a newly formed conference out of the northeast have all announced they are removing their football programs from the NCAA.  As an alternative they are forming the United Conferences of College Football.  The new organization unveiled at these meetings their logo.  The UCCF will carry on with the playoff.  Non-UCCF schools are eligible for invitation to the playoff if they have a high enough ranking.  Going forward however the UCCF aims to bring more conferences into their organization, taking football completely away from the NCAA. 

2tL7gda.png

For the most part these new football conferences kept names similar to their NCAA counterparts with minor changes due to copyright and trademark rights.  What was the Athletic Association of Western Universities (AAWU) will now be Western Athletic, what was the Big 8 will now be Big 8 Football Conference, what was the Big 10 will now be Big 10 Football Conference, what was the South-East Conference (SEC) will now be SEC Football, and what was the Southwest will now be Southwest Football.  The sixth and newly formed northeastern conference will be called the Football Conference East (FCE).  More details on these new conferences including logos are to soon follow.   The new playoff structure will work like this; instead of 5 conference championships, there will now be 6.  This will put six teams into the wildcard round.  A wild card team will still be invited meaning we will have 7 teams in this round.  The highest ranked team will get a bye through this round.  The other 6 will all play games.  This will lead to 4 teams in the Bowl-Semi Finals Round and from this point onward things will be the same.

The Second thing that the committee announced today was who will host the next national championship game.  It will be Pasadena, California.  They will host it at the Rose Bowl Stadium.  The logo for the event is posted below. 

oJXJAt6.png

This will be the third time a playoff game will be played in this stadium.  Two previous Rose Bowl games have been part of the Bowl-Semi Finals.  It also essentially brings the Los Angeles area the national championship game just two years before a year the are campaigning to earn the right to host.

The Sugar Bowl has now hosted two consecutive Bowl-Semi Finals so it will step aside for a few years.  Coming into host a Bowl-Semi Final Game, along side the Cotton Bowl, this year will be the Gator Bowl in Jacksonville, Florida. 

The next thing that the committee moved onto announce today was the poll results for coming National Championship host cities.  They are as follows:

JNWA6oo.png

So, you see both North Carolina cities have been eliminated.  Boone is out because they had the fewest votes.  Meanwhile Greenville tied for the fewest votes, with El Paso, in their campaign.  With the tie the Committee was given the task of deciding who would be out.  They could only choose from among those tied at the bottom of the vote.  They chose to eliminate Greenville. 

As for the next coming host city campaigns the cities that will be entering bids to host the 1969/70 National Championship Game 8 will be:

Queens, New York

Honolulu, Hawaii

Bridgeport, Connecticut

Provo, Utah

Annapolis, Maryland

Those cities that remain in the campaign for the 1968/69 National Championship Game 7 declared what stadium would host the event in their town should they win:

Detroit, Michigan – Tiger Stadium

El Paso, Texas – Sun Bowl

Brunswick, Maine – Whittier Field

San Diego, California – Balboa Stadium

Finally, those cities that remain in the campaign for the 1967/68 National Championship Game 6 made their verbal arguments to the committee.  Those arguments were made public and are published below.  The order in which they went was selected at random through a lottery of tumbled ping-pong balls.

Verbal Argument of Los Angeles, California:

“First of all, I would like to thank all those who have voted for us through the first two rounds of this process.  We are most grateful for your support.  In each of those first two stages we have been honored to finish first in the vote tally.  That makes us the front runner.  Now you might think that being the front runner would be ideal.  I have heard from several people who have told me ‘boy it must be easy campaigning from ahead’.  I am hear however today to tell you it is not.  In particular at this stage of the campaign.  How am I supposed to stand up here today before you and with class, dignity, and humility tell you Los Angeles is better then Colorado Springs or San Juan, Puerto Rico.  I don’t know how.  So instead I will stray away from any comparative discussion.  Instead I will only highlight what Los Angeles has.  First and I think foremost considering we are playing an outdoor game in the month of January, Los Angeles has the accommodating weather.  Second, we have a vibrant and strong economy that can invest capital into this event.  Oil, aerospace, and the movie industry all contribute to this healthy financial situation of the city.  Third we have the experience.  This is a city that has put on the Olympics before.  This is a region that every year puts on the Rose festivities, both the bowl game and parade.  Indeed, we have the know how for putting together large events.  Fourth and I’ll leave it at this we have a magnificent newly constructed venue that we intend to put the event into.  Dodger Stadium is a top-class facility and we invite you the nation to come let us prove it to you.  In closing we remind you palm trees, movie stars, and the best weather on earth, that is what we have to offer.  Thank you very much.”

Verbal arguments of San Juan, Puerto Rico:

“To begin we would like to thank the CBCS committee for giving us this opportunity to bid for this event.  We also would like to thank all those who have thus far supported our campaign with their vote.  Honestly a year ago it did not appear we would be at this stage.  A year ago, we finished second to last.  Somehow however our support at the ballet jump significantly.  Again, we thank everyone who made that happen.  It is now our wish that we can continue to grow our support.  Just over 1,000 miles south east of Miami, Florida lies San Juan, Puerto Rico.  San Juan is the largest city on an island of about 3,500 square miles.  Puerto Rico itself is a land full of a wonderful people who have cultivated a vibrant culture.  It is a culture we all are proud of.  We are indeed uniquely Puerto Rican.  We are however also Americans.  I say this because while not a state Puerto Rico is a territory and we Puerto Ricans are American citizens.  Again, while we love our own culture we also embrace and have a love for American culture.  Certainly, our love of baseball is apparent.  Likewise, however we do also enjoy sports such as gridiron football.  That is why we are asking you to please allow us to host the college national championship.  It is our national championship as well.  We have the facilities, accommodations, and even weather to host it.  But most of all we see this as an opportunity to bring those living on the mainland of the United States closer to their fellow citizens on the island of Puerto Rico.  Thank you.”

Verbal arguments of Colorado Springs, Colorado:

“As both of our preceding candidate cities have done we too would like to thank those who have supported our campaign thus far.  In an effort to perhaps gain further support I would like to take a moment right now to tell you about what I believe to be one of the most magnificently beautiful places on earth.  It is where the plains meet the Rookies.  I am talking about Colorado Springs, Colorado.  The location of our city is important to discuss because it is central to our bid to host the 6th CBCS National Championship game.  ‘Where the Plains Meet the Rookies’ will not only be our theme it is greatest precisely why we hope you will vote to support us hosting the event.  What better backdrop for an event of national interest then both the plains and the rookie mountains.  The sweeping vistas of our city will take your breath away.  Furthermore, consider this.  The United States is a vast and diverse nation of many geographical regions.  What better place than Colorado Springs to represent that.  We are where the east meets the west.  To our back is those imposing Rookie Mountains.  They are the backbone of this nation.  At their crest is the continental divide.  It is called a divide but right now I want you to think about it in the opposite of terms.  A uniter.  Can you think of anything else that more completely brings together the parts of this nation?  I cannot.  Colorado Springs is in many peoples minds one of those places that you forget.  It is one of those places that fades out of focus when you are looking at a map.  In deed we are certainly a long shot to win this going up against places like Los Angeles.  However again I stress, we are situated where the nation unites.  Los Angeles is, I am sure a wonderful place, but in these very same meetings we are learning that Pasadena will be hosting the next national championship.  That means that if Los Angeles wins this campaign the National Championship game will have been played there twice in three years.  Now I understand some will argue that Pasadena, not Los Angeles will be hosting the national championship but I urge voters not to be fooled by this technicality.  They are one and the same regionally speaking. Before I close I do want to point out on more thing.  We, Colorado Springs, are the only one of the three cities that remain, who are intending to place the game in a football stadium.  Both Los Angeles and San Juan will host the event in a baseball stadium.  With all that said I close by inviting you to please bring the National Championship and yourself to the place where the rookies meet the plains.”   

40 minutes ago, JMurr said:

More details on these new conferences including logos are to soon follow

Not to pressure you, but it would be awesome if the conference logos could be surrounded by the logos of the initial members.  And I'm glad to see the Northeast will have a place in the football sun.

Definitely a cool project, will be following this. I think the game recap graphics leave a lot to be desired, you took a step back in the design between season 2 and 3. I think it comes down to all the empty colored space and the name of the stadium at a 90 degree angle, which isn't ideal. I noticed myself reading the first iteration more than the second. 

Also the logos don't really seem to look like something that'd fit aesthetically. When I was doing retro logos for this time period, the best record was the MLB All-Star logos.

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/list_by_team/481/MLB_All-Star_Game/

Use those shades of gold and just condense the logos into something tight and not the wide looking logos like you had. I think your goal would be to use a lot of the icons like cotton/orange/peach or whatever with the text. This last Rose Bowl logo could be pretty good if you choose a font that's not Papyrus. Go on dafont or something and you can find all sorts of free fonts. Those helped me when I was just starting out.

Good luck!

The first of the UCCF conferences to present itself is Big 8 Football.  This conference just like its NCAA counterpart will be made up of the following teams:

Colorado Buffaloes

Iowa State Cyclones

Kansas Jayhawks

Kansas State Wildcats

Missouri Tigers

Nebraska Cornhuskers

Oklahoma Sooners

Oklahoma State Cowboys

yNotdmB.png

2 minutes ago, raysox said:

I was looking back at this, and noticed your occasional use of helmets, not sure if you've seen this site but if you were wanting to do all helmets you could pinpoint the design

http://nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/

No I have not seen that website before but what a great reference going forward.  Thank you!

The five remaining UCCF conferences unveil their logos.  I would like to do logos presentations with the conference logo and all their member teams but to keep things moving these are going to have to wait for now. 

So now here are the conference logos and a list of their member schools:

Big 10 Football Conference:

1cvPcbn.png

Illinois Fighting Illini

Indiana Hoosiers

Iowa Hawkeyes

Michigan Wolverines

Michigan State Spartans

Minnesota Golden Gophers

Northwestern Wildcats

Ohio State Buckeyes

Purdue Boilermakers

Wisconsin Badgers

Football Conference East:

6T4cmRR.png

Boston College Eagles

Boston University Terriers

Buffalo Bulls

Colgate Red Raiders

Holy Cross Crusaders

Penn State Nittany Lions

Pittsburgh Panthers

Rutgers Scarlet Knights

Syracuse Orangemen

Villanova Wildcats

SEC Football:

OcEaHdx.png

Alabama Crimson Tide

Auburn Tigers

Florida Gators

Georgia Bulldogs

Kentucky Wildcats

LSU Tigers

Mississippi State Bulldogs

Ole Miss Rebels

Tennessee Volunteers

Tulane Green Wave

Vanderbilt Commodores

Southwest Football Conference:

vLfhzzH.png

Arkansas Razorbacks

Baylor Bears

SMU Mustangs

TCU Horned Frogs

Texas Longhorns

Texas A&M Aggies

Texas Tech Red Raiders

Rice Owls

Western Athletic:

zKbiAC9.png

California Golden Bears

Oregon Ducks

Oregon State Beavers

Stanford Cardinal

UCLA Bruins

USC Trojans

Washington Huskies

Washington State Cougars

The 1965 college football season ended on December 4 of that year.  Below are the final standings in each of the UCCF conferences:

Western Athletic

#4 – UCLA Bruins

#10 – USC Trojans

Washington State Cougars

Washington Huskies

Stanford Cardinal

California Golden Bears

Oregon State Beavers

Oregon Ducks

Big 8 Football

#5 – Nebraska Cornhuskers

#6 – Missouri Tigers

Colorado Buffaloes

Iowa State Cyclones

Oklahoma Sooners

Oklahoma State Cowboys

Kansas Jayhawks

Kansas State Wildcats

Big 10 Football

#2 – Michigan State Spartans

Ohio State Buckeyes

Purdue Boilermakers

Minnesota Golden Gophers

Illinois Fighting Illini

Northwestern Wildcats

Michigan Wolverines

Wisconsin Badgers

Indiana Hoosiers

Iowa Hawkeyes

Football Conference East

Syracuse Orangemen

Boston College Eagles

Boston University Terriers

Buffalo Bulls

Penn State Nittany Lions

Colgate Red Raiders

Rutgers Scarlet Knights

Pittsburgh Panthers

Holy Cross Crusaders

Villanova Wildcats

SEC Football

#1 – Alabama Crimson Tide

Auburn Tigers

Florida Gators

#7 – Tennessee Volunteers

Ole Miss Rebels

#8 – LSU Tigers

Kentucky Wildcats

Georgia Bulldogs

Vanderbilt Commodores

Tulane Green Wave

Mississippi State Bulldogs

Southwest Football Conference

#3 – Arkansas Razorbacks

Texas Tech Red Raiders

TCU Horned Frogs

Texas Longhorns

Baylor Bears

SMU Mustangs

Texas A&M Aggies

Rice Owls

The year end rankings are as follows:

#1 – Alabama Crimson Tide (SEC)

#2 – Michigan State Spartans (Big 10)

#3 – Arkansas Razorbacks (Southwest)

#4 – UCLA Bruins (WA)

#5 – Nebraska Cornhuskers (Big 8)

#6 – Missouri Tigers (Big 8)

#7 – Tennessee Volunteers (SEC)

#8 – LSU Tigers (SEC)

#9 – Notre Dame Fighting Irish (independent)

#10 – USC Trojans (WA)

Two ranked teams will not make the playoffs.  LSU and Notre Dame are those schools.  Tennessee will get this year’s wildcard.  They play in the SEC and are the second highest ranked team in that conference but because they finished fourth in in conference record they will take the wildcard as opposed to playing in their conference championship.  Five unranked schools will make the playoffs.  Ohio State out of the Big 10 will be one and Auburn out of the SEC will be another and a third will be Texas Tech out of the Southwest.  The other two are the two top teams in the Football Conference East (FCE).  Those schools are Syracuse and Boston College.  The result is leading some to question if the FCE should be considered a power conference just because it is a member of the UCCF.  Some are calling for the playoffs to go back to just the power five conferences championship games.  Under this proposal FCE teams would have to earn their way into the playoffs via the wildcard.  This is especially gaining momentum as a train of thought because the UCCF is in negotiations with several other conferences that might leave the NCAA this offseason and join them. 

Both Oklahoma and Texas missed the playoffs while USC made it.  This means USC will be the only team to make it into the first four playoffs.  Nebraska is making it for the third straight year.  They will also be hosting their conference championship for the third straight year.  Five schools are in for the first time in their history.  Those schools are UCLA, Texas Tech, Tennessee, Syracuse and Boston College.    

uUM05Pb.png

svzaZmG.png

Of7uW0b.png

TxFs5CS.png

P3xUKXw.png

u3iLL2T.png

88DzWKf.png

CiyX9Ub.png

Xgf62go.png

sNw19lm.png