National Championship Game host city bids  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

da8psoQ.png

vL5X4Wh.png

2kkRDwq.png

gdFdVPB.png

dXLcsvd.png

1. This is one of my favorite threads I've seen in a looooong time. Well done!

2. You've done a great job making it feel vintage.

3. Glad to see my Vols in there.

Can't wait to see more!

9uGmA1D.png

10 hours ago, MrRockyTop16 said:

1. This is one of my favorite threads I've seen in a looooong time. Well done!

2. You've done a great job making it feel vintage.

3. Glad to see my Vols in there.

Can't wait to see more!

Thank you for the support.  And I hate to break it to you but...

wtdncU2.png

U08VkTU.png

I think graphics like this will help to illustrate how things stand before and after each round.  If you all like this I will continue to post them between rounds.

PSIDQRC.png

RIWpDJl.png

Ycl2jv8.png

MRkSopf.png

oTNVLB5.png

QZiYsHj.png

In Pasadena, California before the National Championship Game but after the Bowl-Semi Finals the committee holds their annual end of the year meetings.  The first thing that comes out of these meetings is that the Cotton Bowl, after two years of service, will steep aside as a Bowl-Semi Finals host.  In its place the Orange Bowl will return.  So next season both Bowl-Semi Finals games will be played in Florida; the Gator Bowl in Jacksonville and the Orange Bowl in Miami. 

The second thing announced at these meetings is that several other conferences are in talks of joining the UCCF.  More will be announced on this subject before next season, most of the talks are still ongoing. 

The third thing announced at these meetings is that Montgomery, Alabama will be hosting the next National Championship Game.  This will be National Championship Game 5 and it will be played at Montgomery’s Legion Field.  The logo for the event is posted here:

17RZojI.png

The fourth thing that is announced is the results of the most recent round of voting for upcoming National Championship Game host cities.  That vote tally can be viewed in this graphic:

fjqJueV.png

San Juan, Puerto Rico; Detroit, Michigan; and Provo, Utah have all lost their bids.  In the vote for the 1968/69 National Championship Game 7, this is the second year in a row where El Paso, Texas has finished tied for last place and the committee has voted to keep it over the other last place finisher.  This is controversial because Detroit had been the front runner in the first round of voting in this category and lead El Paso most of the way through voting this year.  As the verbal arguments for this campaign will be made later here today, this may come up as a subject.

So, for next year’s National Championship Los Angeles and Colorado Springs go at it in a final vote.  This last final stage requires them to submit a purposed logo for the event.  These logos are open for critic by you the voting public.  Keep in mind however they are what the final product will come from so as you vote in this final stage allow these logos to impact your vote. 

glCr98e.pngWG0Zj4Q.png

Onto the verbal arguments of those cities still in contention for the 1968/69 National Championship Game 7. 

Verbal Arguments of: El Paso, Texas

Twice we have been promoted in this campaign by the committee.  We understand this puts us in a precarious situation.  Allow us to first acknowledge this and to thank those who have voted for us just enough to keep us in and the committee for choosing to keep us over both Greenville, North Carolina and Detroit, Michigan.  Now we focus on why it is that you should come to the support of El Paso as the host of the National Championship Game 7.  Our community is not too big but it’s not too small either.  It is just such a place that would be ideal for hosting a game such as this in the winter months.  It is the type of place you might choose to vacation in.  So why not come vacation here.  Vacation in the winter and while you are here you can get tickets to a championship football game.  Now for those of you who say, I like winter activities, why would I ever want to vacation in the desert?  Well to you I invite you to look into our Franklin Mountains.  While we may be trying to bring you to the Sun Bowl for this event you can always catch some snowflakes in our beautiful backdropping mountains.  El Paso is prepared to host this event.  The committee knows it and that is why they have twice lent us their blessing to survive.  Now please we ask you, go out and vote.  Vote El Paso and this time let’s not leave it to the committee to save us.

Verbal Arguments of: Brunswick, Maine

Hello everyone and thank you for bringing us along thus far.  On behalf of all those involved in the Brunswick campaign I must confess we never expected to survive this far.  What an honor it is however.  To think we might actually be able to bring the biggest college football game of the year to our humble city and stadium.  So, the question is why bring it to Brunswick?  Well Brunswick is the type of place you want to be.  It is welcoming, beautiful, charming, and historic.  Those same words of course absolutely describe the quant Whittier Field.  Those words also are indicative of New England and the greater northeastern area.  Did you know that since the CBCS and now the UCCF, playoff has been introduced 41 games have been played?  Only twice however have any of those game been played in the Northeast.  Not a single one has been played in New England.  Brunswick would be honored to change that.  Brunswick, we feel, would make all of New England proud as hosts of this national event.  You know I had a cousin from Texas who once told me “I think I’m going to move up to Maine where you live.”  When I enquired of him how come he responded “Because there is too much going on down here in Houston, but I know one thing, you never hear on the national news ‘today in Maine’”.  We both got a good chuckle out of his take on the quite happenings of Maine but it also got me thinking, when was the last time Maine was the center of attention?  Well with your help we can make it the center of attention.  If you will continue to grant us your vote we can bring the National Championship to Brunswick.  Thank you!

Verbal Arguments of: San Diego, California

As one prepares for these verbal arguments a lot of things go through your mind.  As I sit and listen to the things my opponents have to say, many of those thoughts shift and evolve.  In full discloser I expected my opposing candidate cities to level some real attacks on San Diego or the very least California in general.  To their credit they did not.  They focused on themselves and for that I tip my hat to them.  So, my remarks too shall stay trained on simply why San Diego should be selected for the great honor of hosting the 7th National Championship Game.  Now I am fully aware that Los Angeles is running a campaign a year ahead of us and there are some who think we should not get it the following year simply because nearby Los Angeles will have it in 1968.  With that said allow me to show you just how San Diego feels.  Ladies and gentlemen there is a lovely city in California with a stunning bay.  No, I’m not talking about San Francisco, this city is much more to the more idealistic south.  No, I’m not talking about Los Angeles either.  I want to introduce you to San Diego a California city in every term of the meaning.  Yet a city that often lives in the shadow of San Francisco and Los Angeles.  Our Balboa Park, the location of the stadium we intend to host the event in is as marvelous as New York’s Central Park, St. Louis’ Forest Park, or San Francisco’s Golden Gate Park but again it lives in the shadows of all those and more.  I think a theme that all three remaining candidate cities have draw today is that we are inviting you the nation to turn your focus on our cities and discover us.  While San Diego might seem to be the least of these three that needs discovering, I ask you have you yet to really give a good look at all that San Diego has to offer?  When you do I believe you will come to the decision to vote for our city.  Thank you very much.

As for the four remaining cities that are still campaigning for the 1969/70 National Championship Game, they had to reveal today what venue in their city would host the event should they win the honors.  Those answers are as follows:

Queens, New York – Shea Stadium

Honolulu, Hawaii – Honolulu Stadium

Bridgeport, Connecticut – John F. Kennedy Stadium

Annapolis, Maryland – Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium

As for the newest campaign to open up it is the bid for the 1970/71 National Championship Game 9.  The cities that have put in bids are:

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Memphis, Tennessee

Amherst, Massachusetts

Davenport, Iowa

Lake Charles, Louisiana

Okay so I can only put up 3 questions at a time.  This means I will close the first question (the final vote for National Championship Game 6) after the first round of the playoffs next season.  At that time I will add the poll for Oklahoma City, Memphis, Amherst, Davenport, and Lake Charles (National Championship Game 9).

p01niIP.png

2 hours ago, Bulldog said:

Great stuff!  I hope there will be a few more upsets down the pike though...

Trying to keep the upsets reasonably sprinkled in. 

Ao6001i.png

The Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC), the Mid-American Conference, the Missouri Valley Conference, the Southern Conference, and the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) all have talks with the UCCF about joining.  The ACC objects because the they want their conference championship to be an instant playoff qualifier but the UCCF will not agree to that.  The UCCF informed the ACC that they do not recognize any other conference beyond the six that are already members as power conferences.  This causes the ACC to end their discussions with the UCCF.  It also causes the Mid-American Conference and the Southern Conference to withdraw their discussions with the UCCF.  The Missouri Valley Conference and the WAC do decide to join.

The Missouri Valley Conference members are:
Cincinnati Bearcats

Louisville Cardinals

North Texas Mean Green

Tulsa Golden Hurricane

Wichita State Shockers

The WAC members are:

Arizona Wildcats

Arizona State Sun Devils

BYU Cougars

New Mexico Lobos

Utah Utes

Wyoming Cowboys

WOFkQwv.pngauyFC4j.png

2N39AdX.png

The 1966 college football season ended on December 3, 1966.  The standings for each of the 8 UCCF conferences as well as the overall top 10 rankings are shown below: Fy9luJI.png

Colorado, Purdue, Colgate, and SMU are all making their debut into the playoffs.  USC still has not missed a playoff.  They extended their stretch to 5 straight seasons.  They will host the WA conference championship game despite not being ranked while UCLA, the team they will play, is ranked #5.  Colorado, Colgate, Syracuse, Arkansas, and USC all make it into these playoffs as unranked teams.  This is the second year in a row that the FCE has two unranked teams in their conference championship game.  The FCE remains controversial as to if it deserves to be considered a power conference.

Notre Dame, an independent team, picks up the wild card for the second time in their history.  They last got it in 1964.  As the wild card and the number 1 ranked team, they will not have to play a game until the third round.  This is the second time this has happened.  Navy was the last school to do this back in 1963 when they were ranked #2. 

The 1966 playoff picture looks like this:

R34EkFD.png

8GmGd4a.png

0Z2BdcP.png

0so5WEG.png

EMEhzJX.png

MAAvTJf.png

iUg4THg.png