North American Pro Soccer 2018

Gothamite

21 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

The fact that Precourt isn't openly talking to groups in Austin has led to some Austin fans to call this saga House hunters. The fact he hasn't come back to the city council with the stats they asked for makes me think he expected the city to just give him everything without checking his portfolio. PSV still hasn't even hinted at confirming a short term facility. When they told Columbus fans that they need over $350 million to make ends meet in Columbus, I wondered how much do they think they'll need for Austin? 

Yeah he doesn't exactly come across as a cunning business man in all this and his operation isn't even two bit. The whole thing is really ham-handed. I mean, they scolded Columbus fans for how difficult they're making it to relocate! He should hire some new attorneys, though, I really hope he doesn't because his current team is a bumbling group of dips****. The MLS2ATX social media campaign they tried to pass off as a grassroots effort when it was obviously their own creation is basically dead and very few people inside Austin seem all that interested in a MLS team. Meanwhile in Columbus, fangroups are doing a better job proving him wrong than he is of proving himself right. 

I think two things are true in this: 1. Precourt thought Austin would be more welcoming than they have been and 2. he thought it'd be easier to move out of Columbus than it has been. He's a very wealthy moron who's spent his life moving piles of daddy's money around from one place to another. I have zero respect for him. The ransoming of the Columbus Crew may work out to further bolster his wealth, but he'll always just be some rich kid who bought a soccer team.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit has affirmed the original order of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York which had denied the North American Soccer League's motion for a preliminary injunction against the United States Soccer Federation.

Decision by the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit 

After the denial of its requested Division II designation for the 2018 season of men's professional soccer, the North American Soccer League, LLC ("NASL") filed an antitrust suit against the United States Soccer Federation, Inc. ("USSF"). NASL also moved for a preliminary injunction, seeking designation as a Division II league pending resolution of the suit. This opinion addresses that motion. We conclude NASL has not demonstrated a clear likelihood of success on the merits of its antitrust claim under the heightened standard applicable to mandatory preliminary injunctions. Accordingly, we affirm the judgement of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York, N. Am. Soccer League, LLC v. U.S. Soccer Fed'n, Inc. ("NASL", No. 17-CV-05495, 2017 WL 5125771 (E.D.N.Y. Nov. 4, 2017) (Brodie, J.), denying NASL's motion for a preliminary injunction.

So... next steps? The NASL must decide whether it wishes to file for a reconsideration of this decision, or - potentially - appeal to the Supreme Court of the United States. If they opt out of those paths, there is then the USSF's motion to dismiss that needs to be dealt with. My understanding is that back in November of last year, counsel for both the USSF and NASL agreed that within seven days of the Court of Appeals decision being handed down the parties would meet and discuss how to proceed with the USSF's motion to dismiss. During such a meeting, the NASL and USSF would decide whether they wanted to try and reach a settlement. If they opt not to settle at that time, the USSF's motion to dismiss would go forward. The process leading up to a decision on the motion to dismiss likely runs a month or two. Then, should the courts rule against a dismissal, we could be looking at a trial.   

59 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

The United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit has affirmed the original order of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York which had denied the North American Soccer League's motion for a preliminary injunction against the United States Soccer Federation.

Decision by the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit 

After the denial of its requested Division II designation for the 2018 season of men's professional soccer, the North American Soccer League, LLC ("NASL") filed an antitrust suit against the United States Soccer Federation, Inc. ("USSF"). NASL also moved for a preliminary injunction, seeking designation as a Division II league pending resolution of the suit. This opinion addresses that motion. We conclude NASL has not demonstrated a clear likelihood of success on the merits of its antitrust claim under the heightened standard applicable to mandatory preliminary injunctions. Accordingly, we affirm the judgement of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York, N. Am. Soccer League, LLC v. U.S. Soccer Fed'n, Inc. ("NASL", No. 17-CV-05495, 2017 WL 5125771 (E.D.N.Y. Nov. 4, 2017) (Brodie, J.), denying NASL's motion for a preliminary injunction.

So... next steps? The NASL must decide whether it wishes to file for a reconsideration of this decision, or - potentially - appeal to the Supreme Court of the United States. If they opt out of those paths, there is then the USSF's motion to dismiss that needs to be dealt with. My understanding is that back in November of last year, counsel for both the USSF and NASL agreed that within seven days of the Court of Appeals decision being handed down the parties would meet and discuss how to proceed with the USSF's motion to dismiss. During such a meeting, the NASL and USSF would decide whether they wanted to try and reach a settlement. If they opt not to settle at that time, the USSF's motion to dismiss would go forward. The process leading up to a decision on the motion to dismiss likely runs a month or two. Then, should the courts rule against a dismissal, we could be looking at a trial.   

I feel like a trial would lead to another $3 judgement.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Cool. Jordan Morris tore his ACL and is out 6-9 months.

It's been great having him in Seattle, but he probably should have launched his career in Europe when he had the chance. Maybe there's an opportunity in the Championship or something for him when he gets healthy *sigh* again.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, Mindless said:

Possible death knell: NASL canceled their entire 2018 season today. Only six clubs remain in the league.

Not even that.   Puerto Rico apparently laid everyone off back in November.  San Diego is negotiating a jump to the USL, and there's no indication that California United ever existed.  So that leaves Jacksonville, Miami, and the Cosmos.

They claim they're working on a solution for 2019.  I can give them a clue - it involves calling up the USL.

http://www.nasl.com/news/2018/02/27/north-american-soccer-league-announces-cancellation-of-2018-season

9 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Not even that.   Puerto Rico apparently laid everyone off back in November.  San Diego is negotiating a jump to the USL, and there's no indication that California United ever existed.  So that leaves Jacksonville, Miami, and the Cosmos.

They claim they're working on a solution for 2019.  I can give them a clue - it involves calling up the USL.

http://www.nasl.com/news/2018/02/27/north-american-soccer-league-announces-cancellation-of-2018-season

I can see Jacksonville, San Diego and Puerto Rico jumping to USL for 2019. Miami, New York and California no. California was paper team. USL already has a team in Orange County anyway. The Owners of Miami and New York have been virtually against MLS/USL/USSF. If New York could get different ownership then maybe I could see them in USL, alongside Red Bulls II. With Miami in MLS becoming more of a reality I could only see Miami as part of the NPSL, the league it jumped to when NASL started to crumble. The USL doesnt want to put teams in MLS markets unless they are a club associated with the MLS club (Red Bulls II, United 2, TFC II, Galaxy II, Real Monarchs, Timbers 2, Sounders 2, Swope Park). Miami FC would never do that so its stay in the NPSL or fizzle out when Beckham MLS begins play.

Signature intentionally left blank

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/sd-sp-nasl-1904fc-usl-san-diego-soccer-20180227-story.html

Well that didnt take long. San Diego quietly withdrew from the NASL a month ago but waited until the ruling was issued before announcing their departure. They are finalizing an agreement to join the USL for 2019.

It continues to play out as we have been expecting. 

At this point, I wonder if the Cosmos and Miami try to get into USL? If I’m the USL I’m not touching the Cosmos with a 10 foot pole. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

5 hours ago, Dilbert said:

California was paper team. USL already has a team in Orange County

I stand corrected about California. Apparently they are alive and updated their social feeds with the clubs new logo and will have a reserve team in the UPSL this year, while it is exploring their options for the pro team next year.

So In summary:

North Carolina FC- joined USL with longshot hopes to join MLS (1 of 12 expansion applicants)

FC Edmonton- Ceased operations. Edmonton will likely get a Canadian Premier League spot when the league gets off the ground.

New York Cosmos- Will operate New York Cosmos B, their reserve team, in the NPSL. Future of pro team is unknown.

Indy Eleven- joined USL with longshot hopes to join MLS (1 of 12 expansion applicants)

Jacksonville Armada FC- Will operate in the NPSL, Future of pro team is unknown.

Miami FC- will operate in the NPSL as Miami FC 2, Future of pro team is unknown.

Puerto Rico FC- Staff was laid off back in November. Very little has been heard from them since. They were waiting for the result of the appeal.

San Francisco Deltas- ceased operations after winning the NASL Championship.

San Diego 1904 FC- Expansion team, quietly withdrew from the league last month. Finalizing deal to join USL for 2019.

California United FC- Will operate reserve team in the UPSL for 2018, Future of pro team is unknown.

4 hours ago, Dilbert said:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/sd-sp-nasl-1904fc-usl-san-diego-soccer-20180227-story.html

Well that didnt take long. San Diego quietly withdrew from the NASL a month ago but waited until the ruling was issued before announcing their departure. They are finalizing an agreement to join the USL for 2019.

So Eden Hazard (one of the owners) and Didier Drogba go from teammates at Chelsea to owners of two different teams in the same league.  That is interesting. 

Finally seeing the rotting corpse that is the NASL begin to be laid into the ground.  I check the NASL website here and there and I can say it's been kind of amusing to watch the top bar of teams dwindle from the 8 or so before all this unfolded to now 4 (Jacksonville, Miami, Cosmos, PRFC), of which three are going to be participating in the NPSL and one assumed dead in the water. 

What a sad fall for the NASL.  Amusing from the outside but wow.  Pride only gets you so far it seems.  But good on the San Diego team to unhitch its horse to the broken wagon.  Too bad the name is still awful. 

Jacksonville is the only other one I feel could make the USL jump.  The Cosmos are poison at this point, however since the only other NY USL team are the Red Bulls reserve squad, and if that article is alluding to a split in the USL for Independents and reserve teams, then USL should get a presence in NY...but there's a lot of stupid hoops to jump through that may not even be worth it.  Miami is in a similar boat that the ownership is poison.  plus with Beckham's club starting to gain traction (finally) does USL want to disrupt MLS' plans for the area? Miami already failed once in MLS, so maybe not wise to oversaturate the market with professional soccer.

Going to be interesting to see how it plays out going forward.  But at this point, NASL is dead....

Archived