North American Pro Soccer 2018

Gothamite

There's been a photo posted on a few articles that show he wasn't off-side. The problem with VAR is that you have to get the angle perfectly, otherwise you're not going to get perfect.

As someone said about American Football's replay system:

It's designed to catch mistakes. Not pursue perfection.

Use VAR to catch the true mistakes that aren't called off-sides.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Refs used VAR to issue a red card against Seattle Saturday night. It was a ticky tack call, imo, and a terrible use of replay.

I can see using VAR for fouls in the box. But random plays on the sidelines? So dumb.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 4/2/2018 at 12:28 PM, DG_Now said:

I can see using VAR for fouls in the box. But random plays on the sidelines? So dumb.

I thought it wasn't supposed to be used for that? 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

1 minute ago, MJWalker45 said:

If it's a possible red card foul it can be used for that.

I guess that does make sense, being a red. 

The whole thing is dumb in my opinion, I know they are trying to ensure that it is not over-used like replay is in the NFL but I'd still say that it's not needed.

I'm of the opinion that it all comes out in the wash. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

24 minutes ago, mr.negative15 said:

I guess that does make sense, being a red. 

The whole thing is dumb in my opinion, I know they are trying to ensure that it is not over-used like replay is in the NFL but I'd still say that it's not needed.

I'm of the opinion that it all comes out in the wash. 

I think there's been three red cards this year due to VAR for violent consuuct, though that was the first one not inside the penalty area.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

VAR is like red-light cameras. Sold on the idea of catching the guys running lights with impunity that aren't caught.

In practice, the police departments and municipalities that institute them suddenly go for the most meager of infractions that no cop, even sitting there at the light, would pull someone over for.

If VAR turns into that, then it's probably best to just go back to the original call on the field.

3 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

VAR is like red-light cameras. Sold on the idea of catching the guys running lights with impunity that aren't caught.

In practice, the police departments and municipalities that institute them suddenly go for the most meager of infractions that no cop, even sitting there at the light, would pull someone over for.

If VAR turns into that, then it's probably best to just go back to the original call on the field.

Wait until a referee at the World Cup uses it and hasn't been trained up like Geiger and Maruffo have been. That should make for some great result. They didn't even bother to bring in referees from 4 of the 8 countries that use it. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I'm an LAFC fan. It's Tuesday. Three days after El Trafico, and with a bemused smile, all I can still say is...

:censored: ing Zlatan...

Like not even mad. Just... damn, man.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Toronto beat Club America 3-1 in Toronto last night, Miguel Herrea claims Toronto police beat up his players and Mexican sports programs are losing their minds. I hate that other team up north but I'm happy they're doing well. Now they need to keep a 2 goal lead at Azteca. Let's see if they can do it. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

There's basically a zero percent chance that happened, right?

Greg Vanney says the only person injured was Jonathan Osorio who was elbowed by an assistant coach. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

22 hours ago, DG_Now said:

There's basically a zero percent chance that happened, right?

I'd say that's pretty close to the truth if not the exact truth.

Between that and blaming the ref (because he told them to change their underwear.) I'm just hearing "sore looser". 

I'm excited and cautiously optimistic. TFC showed they can defend against Club America but, just like against Tigres, that last 20(or so) mins will be crucial.

Chivas 1-0 NY Red Bull heading back to New Jersey. I actually think the Red Bulls could pull this off, but I'm still going with Chivas, only because I don't think Red Bull is ready to make that next step up yet. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

22 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Greg Vanney says the only person injured was Jonathan Osorio who was elbowed by an assistant coach. 

Yeah, Apparently this assistant coach was just getting in on Geo who was walking away and Osorio decided to step in. Kind of wish he didn't and this possibly could have been a non-issue. Now there's a reputation forming about TFC's tunnel antics and they don't need that. 

2 minutes ago, mr.negative15 said:

I'd say that's pretty close to the truth if not the exact truth.

Between that and blaming the ref (because he told them to change their underwear.) I'm just hearing "sore looser". 

I'm excited and cautiously optimistic. TFC showed they can defend against Club America but, just like against Tigres, that last 20(or so) mins will be crucial.

This right there is why I don't feel sorry for him. That's been a FIFA rule forever that tights must match the shorts worn. It's not his fault they didn't bring the right color. More than likely they bought them in Toronto but even then, call Nike and get them shipped over! They're right there on the other side of the border if not in Toronto itself! Strangely enough, the game in Mexico will be run by an AFC crew with the head ref coming from Uzbekistan. Will it be the same for Red Bulls-Chivas?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Chivas 1-0 NY Red Bull heading back to New Jersey. I actually think the Red Bulls could pull this off, but I'm still going with Chivas, only because I don't think Red Bull is ready to make that next step up yet. 

Fingers crossed Red Bull can. I don't expect it but I'd love for an all MLS final. 

Just now, MJWalker45 said:

Strangely enough, the game in Mexico will be run by an AFC crew with the head ref coming from Uzbekistan. Will it be the same for Red Bulls-Chivas?

Not sure. I heard that it's some ref exchange program that they are doing (I don't recall where I read it, probably an MLS website article?). Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if it was another AFC crew. 

On 4/5/2018 at 11:52 AM, mr.negative15 said:

Fingers crossed Red Bull can. I don't expect it but I'd love for an all MLS final. 

Not sure. I heard that it's some ref exchange program that they are doing (I don't recall where I read it, probably an MLS website article?). Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if it was another AFC crew. 

Did some more research. Apparently FIFA is doing this for refs/crews who are going to go to the world cup, they want them to have exposure all over the world. I guess because the styles of play are so different in each continent? (Not really sure). 

On 05/04/2018 at 11:52 AM, mr.negative15 said:

I'd rather have TFC lose to a Mexican team that a RB team. Hate them all

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Archived