North American Pro Soccer 2018

Gothamite

The city council and FC Cincinnati struck a deal for the stadium site in the West End. This is good news for those of us who wanted that location. Hopefully now we can get on with it. 

Edit: Had had a few alcoholic beverages before posting this above. Obviously it's good news for those of us who wanted that location. Duh. To expand I feel like this is the ideal location of the three proposed sites and will be one of the closest things MLS will have to a European matchday experience. The Oakley location wouldn't have had the same juice and people would not have gone over the bridge to cheer for FC Kentucky in Newport. I do believe FCC could've started on construction in Oakley yesterday if they'd gotten a solid NO from Cincinnati Public Schools and City Council for the West End site, and that the delayed MLS bid announcement has been due to FCC not having locked down theirs or MLS's preferred site. Heard from a friend of a friend of a friend the bid is a done deal they just needed confirmation on their site. Once they improved the offer for land purchases, moving the high school football stadium, and tax payments to the school district it swung the necessary parties.  

Here's an article: https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/04/06/city-council-members-strike-a-deal-with-fc.html

Sidenote: Between the Crew situation, the ongoing stadium saga, and drawn out expansion process I'm less enthusiastic about Major League Soccer now than I was 9 months ago. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it was clear MLS wanted Cincinnati and kept extending things until they locked in their stadium site.

Overall, it is a good site for a team. Generally easy access. It's not a convoluted location to get to on streets. Parking, etc should be decent. I think the game-day crowd works well there. The newly moved HS stadium works well as well there a few blocks over. Bringing some fresh money to that neighborhood, though cries of Gentrification are understandable, the area needs businesses to thrive. Getting 20,000 or so visitors every couple of days or weeks will definitely help over the long term. I can see why the community held their ground on property taxes. They knew FCC wanted that spot and not Oakley or Newport. And they gambled they'd give in. And they did. Win one for both sides. Get their stadium, and the community gets their tax base.

2 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Yeah, it was clear MLS wanted Cincinnati and kept extending things until they locked in their stadium site.

MLS gave Cincinnati and Sacramento the exact same chance to address the holes in their respective bidd.  It just appears that Cincy has been able to lock down a stadium location before Sac was able to find that extra deep-pocketed investor. 

9 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Not so sure about VAR.

Sucks to be LAFC today.

I posted that when it was 3-0 in the 88th minute. 5-0 at 97. Ouch.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Wow. Last week I said LAFC's fans needed the humbling loss by Zlatan Galaxy. If that didn't do it, the 5-0 loss to Atlanta sure as hell did. Yikes!

Hotter Than July > Thriller

4 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Wow. Last week I said LAFC's fans needed the humbling loss by Zlatan Galaxy. If that didn't do it, the 5-0 loss to Atlanta sure as hell did. Yikes!

Were they still in a Zlatan stupor? Didn't get to see the game yet to know why 5-0. Though already reading "Refs suck" as the reason. Surely that can't be the only explanation.

3 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

Were they still in a Zlatan stupor? Didn't get to see the game yet to know why 5-0. Though already reading "Refs suck" as the reason. Surely that can't be the only explanation.

Refs called a red against ATL in the first minute, but used VAR to make it a yellow instead. It was 2-0 until the very end of the game, when the refs used VAR to change a corner kick to a PK for ATL. Granted, LAFC wasn't coming back from 2-0 at 88', but neither of those calls helped them.

What also didn't help LAFC was an immediate handball in the penalty area right after the PK. That was pretty stupid.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Well that happened. Nothing really more to say. Just got beat in every facet. Of course the score is slightly exaggerated by the bogus PK and an unfortunate handball once the game was decided, but doesn't change how poorly we played. Luckily, it's a long season.

Onto the next one. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

6 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Yes, unfortunately, Portland seems to suck now. 

It seems their USL side are good so far this year. They sucked last year.

Meanwhile Cincinnati looked good against a very good Louisville club, despite the loss. Breaking another USL attendance record set previously by the team the year before. Only Seattle, Toronto and LA Galaxy MLS clubs outdrew Cincinnati this weekend.

Signature intentionally left blank

1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

Helluva come from behind win for Orlando. Does Portland suck now?

Twellman asked, but was that second goal at all influenced by the cloud of purple smoke? Seems like it had to have been. Why does MLS allow that?

31 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Twellman asked, but was that second goal at all influenced by the cloud of purple smoke? Seems like it had to have been. Why does MLS allow that?

Because some people would complain about MLS trying to Americanize the sport? :unsure:

11 hours ago, Dilbert said:

It seems their USL side are good so far this year. They sucked last year.

Meanwhile Cincinnati looked good against a very good Louisville club, despite the loss. Breaking another USL attendance record set previously by the team the year before. Only Seattle, Toronto and LA Galaxy MLS clubs outdrew Cincinnati this weekend.

on a miserable night to be outside too. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 hours ago, GDAWG said:

So there is a report from Sports Illustrated that DC United is interested in Mario Balotelli. 

I thought the bigger news was that DCU is worth $500M.

Excerpt:

Los Angeles billionaire Patrick Soon-Shiong is in the final stages of completing a deal to become a major stakeholder in D.C. United, according to a source close to the negotiations who declined to speak on the record because an agreement hasn't been signed.

Soon-Shiong, who owns a small stake in the Lakers, is leading a group to buy about a 78% stake in the Major League Soccer club currently held by majority owner Erick Thohir, an Indonesian businessman who has been the team's general partner since 2012.  The investment group also includes team Chief Executive Jason Levien.

Under the terms of agreement Soon-Shiong would hold the majority of the group's stake. A deal, which would value D.C. United at about $500 million, is expected to be completed by the end of the month.

In addition, the Washington Post reported that the Federal Trade Commission, in a notice published Friday, listed an acquisition involving Soon-Shiong and Thohir that also included Black Eagle Investment Group, which is run by Levien. No other details were given, the Post said, but such listings are required by law when a potentially lucrative deal is being discussed and do not necessarily mean a transaction is imminent.

DC United finally gets a win!!!

SN: I hate how shiny the turf looks during televised night time sporting events at the Naval Academy stadium. Don't know whether it's the type of turf they have or the stadium's lights, but it bugs me every time.

Archived