Gothamite

North American Pro Soccer 2018

We all saw this coming, but... :censored:. :censored::censored: :censored:!!!!!!!!!!!!

It feels like I’m working in the middle of someone’s wake today. ?

screw FC cincinatti and screw nashville FC.... we shoulda been in instead of nashville... MLS is dead to me... we'll never get in and i feel strung along  by MLS as a SRFC fan

1 hour ago, Bucfan56 said:

We all saw this coming, but... :censored:. :censored::censored: :censored:!!!!!!!!!!!!

It feels like I’m working in the middle of someone’s wake today. ?

I'm bummed because I enjoy going to Republic games and wanted to see them at the next level.

But honest question, do you think that this is the end for now, or permanently, of Sacramento's MLS attempt or do you think/have you heard that there might be a glimmer of hope that the investor group can be shored up at some point in the future?  Personally, given all the missteps I don't see the Republic ever in MLS with Nagle leading the charge.

8 hours ago, McCarthy said:

It's been a headscratcher since they announced the team, which I must admit I was very very wrong about. I never thought this would work. I never in a million years thought it would lead towards a Major League Soccer team. It's hard to believe it's happening. Also, they bought the trademark to Fussball Club Cincinnati because german heritage or some :censored:. 

Just use "Football". It's not hard. 

"Food Lion Club Cincinnati"

1 hour ago, RichardWitham said:

screw FC cincinatti and screw nashville FC.... we shoulda been in instead of nashville... MLS is dead to me... we'll never get in and i feel strung along  by MLS as a SRFC fan

I sympathize, and would much rather have the Republic in, but MLS kept extending the deadlines and extending the deadlines and told your owners exactly what they needed to do.

That’s where your ire belongs, not with the league. 

So I'm guessing Cincy in 2019, Nashville in 2020 and Miami in 2035. 

3 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

Soccer, like hockey is game where a team can seemingly dominate without getting a win. Ties are weird in that they can make you feel very different things. As an SKC fan I was frustrated with the tie against Minnesota, but a Loons fan might feel a sense of relief in at least getting a point out of a game in with they were nearly outshot by 20 and had no corners. A two-goal comeback to force a tie can even feel like a win in some cases. I remember the US gave up a late goal to Portugal to give away a tie. Totally ruined my birthday.

Goddammit Michael Bradley.

24 minutes ago, tp49 said:

I'm bummed because I enjoy going to Republic games and wanted to see them at the next level.

But honest question, do you think that this is the end for now, or permanently, of Sacramento's MLS attempt or do you think/have you heard that there might be a glimmer of hope that the investor group can be shored up at some point in the future?  Personally, given all the missteps I don't see the Republic ever in MLS with Nagle leading the charge.

I’ve said here a few months ago how I feel about it all, and I still feel that way. I can’t get too detailed on some of the stuff I hear (because I’m technically not supposed to hear some of it), but it’s basically felt like the movie 500 for the last few months around the office. 

I’ll just say what one of my bosses said earlier today about our mentality from here on out. “:censored: it, keep going!” 

19 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I sympathize, and would much rather have the Republic in, but MLS kept extending the deadlines and extending the deadlines and told your owners exactly what they needed to do.

That’s where your ire belongs, not with the league. 

Sort of. Mostly, yes. One person in particular. But MLS didn’t really help their optics with this whole situation. 

11 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

Sort of. Mostly, yes. One person in particular. But MLS didn’t really help their optics with this whole situation. 

There’s optics, and there’s substance. 

Anyone who has been paying attention to this process knows how the league offered repeated chances to both FCC and the Republic to get their bids in order. FCC did, the Republic didn’t.

I wish it had been the other way around, but I can’t see any substantive reason to blame the league for this result.

I think most everybody would like Sacramento in the league. I wanted Cincinnati, and could not possibly care about Nashville getting in. The next two teams in after this round, if I had my way, would be Sacramento because their fans have shown they're a capable market, and Tampa Bay because I just want a team named Rowdies in the league. 

Im glad Cincinnati will get in. Im disappointed that Sacramento is not. Sacramento and Cincinnati have both proven themselves, while Nashvilles club just started. Hopefully things can get turned around for the situation in Sacramento so that they can be one of the second wave expansion teams, that or they will just give up on Miami. Phoenix is looking like a good possibility. I think if Detroit wants in they need to do something other than Ford Field. Id love to see Tampa. I cant see Indy, or Raleigh getting in and I think San Diego is still waiting for an election in November. I think San Antonio is pretty much dead with the Austin Crew thing. I think St Louis and Charlotte are also dead.

St. Louis is absolutely dead.  Their billionaire walked away in a snit over losing $60M in public money - good riddance to him.  The league is better off without deadbeats like that.

If Sacramento can do better, and find an investor willing to spend the money, they’ll be back in the mix.  Right up there with Phoenix, which I think is now the front-runner. 

I wouldn’t count San Diego out yet - the election is an uphill climb, but it also happens well before the next expansion clubs will be announced.

I can see MLS at 32 teams eventually so there is plenty of opportunity for most of these markets to get their acts together in the next 10 to 12 years as the league grows. 

16 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

If Sacramento can do better, and find an investor willing to spend the money, they’ll be back in the mix.  

Therein lies the problem, I just don't see this happening in the foreseeable future.

I also hope the Crew stay and Precourt goes away.

2 hours ago, Wings said:

I also hope the Crew stay and Precourt goes away.

I dont! Now that Ohio has two teams, the Crew can go take a long walk off of a short dock. In fact, I hope they do move now. And I know a spot that is MUCH more suited for a team than Austin, and an ownership group that is MUCH more competent than Precort. Also, they’ve already started “pre construction” on their stadium and now have no team to build one for ?

1 minute ago, Bucfan56 said:

I dont! Now that Ohio has two teams, the Crew can go take a long walk off of a short dock. In fact, I hope they do move now. And I know a spot that is MUCH more suited for a team than Austin, and an ownership group that is MUCH more competent than Precort. Also, they’ve already started “pre construction” on their stadium and now have no team to build one for ?

Precourt is from NorCal. ;)

13 hours ago, Gothamite said:

If Sacramento can do better, and find an investor willing to spend the money, they’ll be back in the mix.  Right up there with Phoenix, which I think is now the front-runner. 

12 hours ago, tp49 said:

Therein lies the problem, I just don't see this happening in the foreseeable future.

Then as much as I hate to say it, they shouldn't be in MLS.  The league needs owners who are willing to invest in the league and in the sport, and can't afford to carry anybody unwilling or unable to do so.

I really hope you're wrong.