North American Pro Soccer 2018

Gothamite

2 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Then as much as I hate to say it, they shouldn't be in MLS.  The league needs owners who are willing to invest in the league and in the sport, and can't afford to carry anybody unwilling or unable to do so.

I really hope you're wrong.

What is MLS supposed to do about New England? Their stadium situation is really embarrassing. The rest of the league has gotten its act together and the Revolution really stick out as a team that under-invests in itself.

Eventually, and sadly, MLS will need to do something about the first wave of SSS that are tens of miles away from their respective city cores. It's great that "Chicago," "Denver," and "Dallas" have soccer stadiums, and we all know why they're built out in the middle of nowhere, but that's not long-term beneficial to anyone.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

What is MLS supposed to do about New England? Their stadium situation is really embarrassing. The rest of the league has gotten its act together and the Revolution really stick out as a team that under-invests in itself.

I've often wondered if playing at Fenway would be better. I honestly have no clue how hard that would be to make happen (I know soccer has been played there before) but it has to be better than Gillette, right? 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

21 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

True, but don't forget that the Revolution were one of the best teams of the 2000s, and made it to the Cup Final only three years ago.  So it's not like they're perennially embarrassing on the pitch.

21 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Eventually, and sadly, MLS will need to do something about the first wave of SSS that are tens of miles away from their respective city cores. It's great that "Chicago," "Denver," and "Dallas" have soccer stadiums, and we all know why they're built out in the middle of nowhere, but that's not long-term beneficial to anyone.

Absolutely.  Those stadiums were essential to the survival and growth of the league, but MLS has outgrown them.  And the league knows it, which is why they're making sure that every new ownership group is properly capitalized, and has an appropriate stadium solution in place.  Can't deal with old problems when you create new problems.

11 minutes ago, mr.negative15 said:

I've often wondered if playing at Fenway would be better. I honestly have no clue how hard that would be to make happen (I know soccer has been played there before) but it has to be better than Gillette, right? 

Fenway's "quirks" make it not the worst baseball stadium to watch a rectangle-field sport. But I don't see this happening for a few reasons:

1. Fenway Park dedicates many of its non-baseball dates to a rather booming concert business in recent years, so I literally don't think there would be space on the schedule

2. Even if there were, this being Boston, a few noisy neighbors would get mad about adding 20 more event dates to the neighborhood

3. Not sure how well Bob Kraft and John Henry get along, not least because they may consider each other competitors in the local soccer market in some ways

Having said all that, a Revs MLS doubleheader with a Liverpool friendly would be a brilliant idea, I would think. A little surprised it hasn't happened yet. But even the international soccer friendlies at Fenway have dried up in the last few years (again, concerts).

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

25 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

True, but don't forget that the Revolution were one of the best teams of the 2000s, and made it to the Cup Final only three years ago.  So it's not like they're perennially embarrassing on the pitch.

Bingo. People always gloss over this fact just because they had a Buffalo Bills-like run of bad luck, combined with an apparent modern reluctance to spend. But they were good! I think the modern Revs do just enough -- they avoid the problem franchise label, but also won't be relevant at a major-league level. Just this sort of weird ennui. Boston could use that small-market taste for once, anyway.

Also here's my next level hot take on Krafts' mismanagement: how has the Revs' academy been so irrelevant? Diego Fagundez came up nearly a decade ago now. Demographics seem ideal for a soccer factory. You've got Brazilians, Portuguese, Italians and loads of rich doctors' kids across the expansive lawns of Wellesley and Newton. 

1 minute ago, Digby said:

Fenway's "quirks" make it not the worst baseball stadium to watch a rectangle-field sport. But I don't see this happening for a few reasons:

1. Fenway Park dedicates many of its non-baseball dates to a rather booming concert business in recent years, so I literally don't think there would be space on the schedule

2. Even if there were, this being Boston, a few noisy neighbors would get mad about adding 20 more event dates to the neighborhood

3. Not sure how well Bob Kraft and John Henry get along, not least because they may consider each other competitors in the local soccer market in some ways

Having said all that, a Revs MLS doubleheader with a Liverpool friendly would be a brilliant idea, I would think. A little surprised it hasn't happened yet. But even the international soccer friendlies at Fenway have dried up in the last few years (again, concerts).

Those are some good points, thanks for the insight.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I completely forgot that Henry owned Liverpool but that doubleheader idea is a great one! 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

10 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

I dont! Now that Ohio has two teams, the Crew can go take a long walk off of a short dock. In fact, I hope they do move now. And I know a spot that is MUCH more suited for a team than Austin, and an ownership group that is MUCH more competent than Precort. Also, they’ve already started “pre construction” on their stadium and now have no team to build one for ?

We hoped he'd sell the Crew, keeping them in Ohio and go over to Sacramento.Now that he appears to be happy to let the stadium fall apart to force his way out I don't think you'd want to deal with him to plan your bachelor party.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

5 minutes ago, mr.negative15 said:

Those are some good points, thanks for the insight.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I completely forgot that Henry owned Liverpool but that doubleheader idea is a great one! 

Leaving aside my reservations about cash grab summer friendlies in the States, I'd love it too. But the Roma/Liverpool matches seem to have stopped in 2014. I guess the country concerts are bigger draws.

2 minutes ago, Digby said:

Leaving aside my reservations about cash grab summer friendlies in the States, I'd love it too. But the Roma/Liverpool matches seem to have stopped in 2014. I guess the country concerts are bigger draws.

Hey, as long as it's not an MLS team playing in the friendly, I say go for it. I hate when MLS teams  play the mid season friendlies though.....but I won't go there. 

51 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I'm going to take the opposite view regarding FCD. They wisely built where both the residential and job growth is and has been for nearly two decades, plus worked with the school district for their academy, a much better district than the DISD.

FCD Stadium was built at a time when the Dallas core was losing as many jobs as Detroit.  Collin County just added FexEx Office HQ, Toyota's NA operations, regional HQs for Liberty Mutual and JPMorganChase and population has grown 45% and will hit 3 million before 2040.

Fair enough about Dallas, but the larger point is MLS is an urban-attracting sport played in suburban locations.

New England may be a well managed club, but their stadium situation is dire. Gillette looks awful on TV and it seems like no one goes. It's a problem.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

45 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

New England may be a well managed club, but their stadium situation is dire. Gillette looks awful on TV and it seems like no one goes. It's a problem.

I don’t know that I would say “dire”, but certainly needs addressing. Problem is that Boston is one of those cities that are extremely hard to build in.

53 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

The New England Revolution have historically been anything but a "well managed club". In point of fact, the Revolution have been a feast-or-famine franchise, with their 5 MLS Cup Championship appearances more than balanced out by their 9 failures to even qualify for the playoffs.

While Bob Kraft's ownership of the New England Patriots has resulted in the once-ridiculed franchise being transformed into a benchmark best-practices organization in all of professional sports, his stewardship of the Revolution has been marked by neglect. The New England Patriots are the Kraft Family's passion. In contrast, the New England Revolution are an entry in the Kraft Family's business ledger. A means to an end. Namely, filling the empty dates at Gillette Stadium calendar when neither the Patriots or concerts are scheduled.

Under Bob and Jonathan Kraft's tenure as the investor/operators of the Revolution, the franchise has been the epitome of an MLS 1.0 operation. Unfortunately for soccer supporters in New England, the top tier of the sport in the U.S. and Canada has now entered the MLS 3.0 era. The Krafts either haven't gotten the memo, or they've little to no interest in doing what is necessary to keep up with the stewards of more ambitious organizations. 

10 minutes ago, Wings said:

Miami Freedom FC. Rumors floating around that this could be the name. Maybe incorporating the Miami Freedom Tower into the logo.

I'd noticed that while rummaging around on the USPTO website yesterday. An entity identified as Miami Freedom, LLC had filed for trademark protection on...

Miami Freedom Football Club
Miami Freedom United
Miami Freedom F.C.
Miami Freedom

Only time will tell. That said, Beckham's group has weightier issues to wrestle with than what they're going to call their MLS expansion franchise. Namely, where is the team going to build its stadium? Maybe Becks-and-Company should register FC 1StepUp2StepsBack as a club name.   

41 minutes ago, Wings said:

Miami Freedom FC. Rumors floating around that this could be the name. Maybe incorporating the Miami Freedom Tower into the logo.

Huh I was expecting an MLS 2.0 faux-European name, not an MLS 1.0 singular noun name. Surprises!

2 hours ago, dfwabel said:

I'm going to take the opposite view regarding FCD. They wisely built where both the residential and job growth is and has been for nearly two decades, plus worked with the school district for their academy, a much better district than the DISD.

FCD Stadium was built at a time when the Dallas core was losing as many jobs as Detroit.  Collin County just added FexEx Office HQ, Toyota's NA operations, regional HQs for Liberty Mutual and JPMorganChase and population has grown 45% and will hit 3 million before 2040.

This is a very good perspective, though it seems like that growth hasn't reflected in FCD's attendance numbers, even when they were a very good, young, exciting group.

6 minutes ago, Digby said:

Huh I was expecting an MLS 2.0 faux-European name, not an MLS 1.0 singular noun name. Surprises!

I think the only name they wanted was Miami United, but with three teams having that suffix, four wouldn't work. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On the Revolution thing real quick, I am going to very curious to see what happens with DC United once they finally open their stadium. The two teams are so similar: MLS originals, spotty on-field performance, perception of low investment. But most importantly: can a new stadium rescue an old-school team from irrelevance in a crowded sports market?

33 minutes ago, Digby said:

This is a very good perspective, though it seems like that growth hasn't reflected in FCD's attendance numbers, even when they were a very good, young, exciting group.

As for the growth, it's also the same area which since that stadium opened three school districts within Collin County have issued bonds to build the $60M HS football stadiums/extracurricular areas we have threads about.

Archived