North American Pro Soccer 2018

Gothamite

2 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

Elsewhere on the MLS expansion front, apparently FC Cincinnati will - as previously rumored - transition from being officially branded as Futbol Club Cincinnati to Fussbal Club Cincinnati when the organization moves to Major League Soccer next season.

FC Cincinnati: Futbol in 2018 USL, Fussball in 2019 MLS

Unless Cincy has German heritage I’m not aware of (very possible), that’s... really dumb. 

22 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

Unless Cincy has German heritage I’m not aware of (very possible), that’s... really dumb. 

Most of Southern Ohio has some type of German heritage going back to the late 1700's, that's why Mapfre Stadium's main supporter area is called the Nordecke. The stadium is also near the area called German Village. the first village in Ohio, Schoenbrunn (Show-in-brewn) was founded by Moravian missionaries that came from what was then considered Germanic territory but is now part of the Czech Republic.

51 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

In the mid 1800's a lot of German refugees settled in Cincinnati and the neighborhood where the team will play borders Over-the-Rhine, which was mostly German residents for a period about a century ago (then anti-German sentiment changed a lot of street names and last names around WWI. With white flight and urban decay of the 60's it became the city's urban blight neighborhood that every city seemed to have in the 70's and 80's, there were some race riots in the late 90's/early 00's, and now it's gentrified and the trendiest part of town, though if you venture too far it's still a little rough). Everyone I know who grew up here claims they're German and we have a big Oktoberfest every September. Also there's a Hofbrauhaus in Newport, KY. So yes the city has some well-defined German ancestory. Fussball is still dumb AF. 

The whole west side of Ohio is heavily Germanic. All those farms were mostly first settled by German immigrants.

https://www.cleveland.com/datacentral/index.ssf/2016/12/percent_german_and_irish_for_e.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio - More Ohioans identify as being of German descent than any other ancestry, while people of Irish descent make up the state's second largest group and many of them live in Cuyahoga County.

Cincinnati as a whole is recognised as 19.6% Germanic origin. Irish is second, at 10.4%.

https://statisticalatlas.com/metro-area/Ohio/Cincinnati/Ancestry

German 30.1%

Other 24.4%

Unclassified 16.4%

Irish 14.8%

That's for the city and surrounding areas and is 'self-proclaimed'.

Either way, it's not unexpected or unusual.

1 hour ago, Crabcake47 said:

Cincinnati has significant German heritage. German immigrants began arriving in Cincinnati in meaningful numbers in the 1840s, with nearly 30% of the city's population being of German extraction. By the turn of the century, that figure had doubled. The Over-the-Rhine neighborhood (über den Rhein in German) was the epicenter of the city's German culture. German immigrants founded churches, schools, hospitals, banks, and numerous businesses, including several German-language newspapers and many breweries (Christian Moerlein Brewing Company and Hudepohl Brewing Company chief amongst them). Today, up to a third of Greater Cincinnati residents cite German heritage and the city is home to Oktoberfest Zinzinnati, the world's largest such celebration outside of Munich.

All of that said, branding the city's Major League Soccer franchise Fussball Club Cincinnati is pretty asinine. I guess we should be thankful that they aren't going to go all in and opt for Fußballverein Zinzinnati. ?  

20 hours ago, Dilbert said:

Is there a reason why DC couldnt have started the season at RFK and then move to Audi Field when its completed? They are still renting locker room space and the practice fields outside RFK.

Outside? I've seen a lot of footage of DCU actually practicing inside RFK.

Anyways, I'm still a little peeved they opted not to have a canopy covering all the stadium's seats. I know rich dudes can be cheap, but c'mon man the early rendering of the stadium looked better than the final design.... Also I have a feeling I'll end up sitting in one of the uncovered sections when it's either raining or super hot in the daytime :P

dc-united-stadium.png

Playing on the grass field probably doesn't cost much to use during the day. Actually signing a lease to open it up for games, ushers, ticket takers, security, lights, etc. Probably is a lot more and the stadium isn't going to give the going rate for half a season of use.

NBC Sports ranks the bids for 27 and 28 and possibly beyond. 

1. Detroit – The bid did appear to be hurt substantially when a deal for a stadium downtown collapsed. Yet Garber has mentioned the possibility of Ford Field being redeveloped and look how successful Atlanta United have been in an NFL stadium. If it’s done properly, it can work well. The Ford family have no problem coming up with the reported $150 million franchise fee, plus lower-tier Detroit City FC get big crowds and so too do international friendlies played at nearby Michigan Stadium. Something seems to be brewing in Motor City…
  2. Sacramento – Okay, so they should have really arrived in MLS a few years ago but Sacramento Republic continue to have problems with their ownership group and are still searching for a lead investor. They said on Tuesday that they remain in talks with MLS. USL success and big crowds are all well and good but they need a new investor to take them to the next level. If they get that then they’re in.
  3. Las Vegas – Well, Vegas weren’t one of the 12 cities to submit a formal bid for an MLS franchise but it appears they could well be moving to the top of the list after failed plans for a team in the past. The Las Vegas Lights drawing big crowds (close to a 8,300 average) in their debut season in USL is promising. Given the success of Vegas’ first-ever Major League Sports franchise, the Golden Knights of the NHL, it appears MLS want a slice of the pie in Sin City.
  4. San Diego – Again, another city mentioned specifically by Garber on Tuesday which is always a good sign that they’re heading in the right direction. Plenty of big names are involved in the MLS bid (hello, Landon Donovan with plenty of his friends getting involved to promote Soccer City too) but it all hinges on the Mission Valley stadium site. With LAFC arriving, SoCal may be a little congested but creating another local rivalry for MLS would be very special.
  5. San Antonio – Garber mentioning San Antonio could push them up the list but with Columbus potentially moving to Austin, that impacts this bid. Toyota Field is ready and big crowds for international games are impressive but it’s all about the Crew and what happens to them.
  6. Phoenix – Financial backing is there, Didier Drogba remains on board (and scoring goals) and stadium plans are in place. Phoenix remain an outsider but are an intriguing possibility.
  7. Tampa Bay/St. Petersburg – Expensive redevelopment of Al Lang Stadium key to this bid. The Rowdies have a strong, loyal fanbase and the move from NASL to USL has solidified that. An outside chance, especially given MLS heading to Miami soon. Can Florida sustain three MLS franchises?
  8. Raleigh/Durham – NASL’s problems mean NCFC moved to USL and although Garber didn’t mention them in his comments, they remain hopeful of a franchise. On Tuesday they released a statement in which they said “MLS has indicated that North Carolina Football Club continues to be in consideration for one of the two remaining expansion spots.”
  9. St. Louis – If they can get a stadium deal one day, you feel like MLS beckons but nothing has really changed in STL.
  10. Charlotte – No public financing or funding for a stadium deal has seen this bid stall. Competing with Raleigh/Durham was ill advised.
  11. Indianapolis – Indy Eleven have moved to the USL too and despite a loyal following, they lack the funds to support an MLS expansion franchise. Bit of a pipe dream, as things stand, especially with Cincy and Nashville getting teams not too far away in the Midwest.

The next bid is probably going to be only one spot, because I’m pretty sure Detroit has the other spot locked up. They have some HEFTY financial backing, and the MLS seems pretty desperate to “grow the game” in that area of the country (when, technically, the west coast is STILL more underserved despite their being three teams in California, but that’s none of my business I guess). That leaves Sacramento competing with SEVERAL cities that are probably more desirable options. Give them an extra two years of planning and preparation and they’re DEFINITELY better options (Watch my personal nightmare happen and we lose out to :censored:ing Vegas). This was essentially Sacramento’s one shot, and unless something drastic changes (Miami completely falls apart, a team has to move, ect), I just don’t see it happening. There’s all this talk about how “all they need is an investor!”, but I’ve seen up close and personal just how difficult it’s been to get ANY type of even medium-fish investor. I mean, I damn sure hope Republic can find a way, but it feels more grim now than it ever has. 

1. Phoenix-Great market. Fills the hole in the southwest between Dallas/LA. The ownership is there and they have a stadium plan in place.

2. Sacramento- Fix that investor problem and they should be in.

3. Detroit- Great ownership group but the whole Ford Field thing is dragging them down

4. Tampa/St Pete- The Rowdies have a loyal fan base and they have a plan to convert Al Lang (If it can work for Portland, it can work here). Unlike the Mutiny in the 90s they have a good fan base and ownership that want an MLS team here.

5. San Diego- Kinda murky stadium situation. I know MLS wants a club here but do the fans? Id at least start with a USL club to get things going.

6. San Antonio- Originally a frontrunner, Precourt, MLS and the Crew are putting a major dent in their plans. If Austin gets a team, San Antonio wont.

7. Las Vegas- Vegas appears to be a hot market all of sudden for any sports team. They have good fan support with the Lights of the USL, but they need an ownership group, and stadium. Cashman, Sam Boyd and the new Raiders stadium wont cut it.

8. Louisville- Kentucky seems to be always left out in the cold when it comes to pro sports teams. Louisville has great support and they just got a new stadium approved for USL LouCity. They have interest in MLS but with the league coming to Cincinnati, I dont see it happening.

9. Raleigh/Durham- Honestly cant see them getting in. The stadium is needing a lot of support and if they are not gonna get it in Charlotte they wont get it in the Triangle.

10.St. Louis- MLS wants in but they need ownership that will privately finance a stadium because the city and state is not gonna help, nor the voters.

11.Charlotte- Dead. No stadium, no team.

12. Indianapolis- Indy has great support with the Eleven but thats all. No stadium, and no financial support.

11 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

The next bid is probably going to be only one spot, because I’m pretty sure Detroit has the other spot locked up. They have some HEFTY financial backing, and the MLS seems pretty desperate to “grow the game” in that area of the country

If that was true they’d already have a club. Neither Cincy nor Sacramento were slam-dunks, and if Detroit was as attractive as you say their bid would have vaulted over the other two.

Ford Field is a very imperfect solution. They really need a SSS, or they’ll be passed over again.

Well, yeah. But give that ownership group an extra two years to lock down a stadium (I can’t possibly imagine real estate in Michigan being all that much of a challenge) and they’ve EASILY got the strongest group to foot the bill for it. Detroit’s bit always felt a little bit rushed anyway, and they damn near won the bid despite that. I’m just saying that going forward, they’re clearly the front-runners (that doesn’t seem to matter much to this league, though). 

22 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

I would really like to see MLS in Tampa Bay, but if Miami joins officially I dont see it happening.

If Miami falls thru, Tampa Bay might fall in place.

Maybe Miami could evict the Marlins and turn their ballpark into football/soccer facility. ?

2 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

Well, yeah. But give that ownership group an extra two years to lock down a stadium (I can’t possibly imagine real estate in Michigan being all that much of a challenge) and they’ve EASILY got the strongest group to foot the bill for it. 

They have until December.  Just like everybody else.

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 9:35 AM, Corvus said:

In Canadian Premier League news, Victoria is in, and the team in the suburbs of Vancouver is in question now. 

Surely there is room in the new CPL for both or even a East Side Vancouver side?