North American Pro Soccer 2018

Gothamite

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

Here in Dallas, the Stars are a bigger deal that FC Dallas. 

I’m not sure that isn’t true anywhere that has an MLS and NHL team. Even in Seattle, where they’re crazy about the Sounders, I’m sure the new NHL team will surpass them in popularity when they come. 

spacer.png

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Crabcake47 said:

I’m not sure that isn’t true anywhere that has an MLS and NHL team. Even in Seattle, where they’re crazy about the Sounders, I’m sure the new NHL team will surpass them in popularity when they come. 

I could see the Timbers surpassing the Trailblazers in Portland. Certain things would need to happen, but if any city were to have an MLS club knock off an established "Big 4" team in popularity it's Portland.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

2 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

Soccer fans in America gotta chill with the inferiority complex.

No, hockey fan is first in line for "needs to chill" and realize their niche while sharing brews with NASCAR fan.

Soccer fan just has slightly different tint of Rose colored glasses.

40 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

I could see the Timbers surpassing the Trailblazers in Portland. Certain things would need to happen, but if any city were to have an MLS club knock off an established "Big 4" team in popularity it's Portland.

If the Blazers became constantly horrible in the next few years which I could see happening. Dame & CJ leaving and Paul Allen becoming more disinterested would definitely be contributors. All this talk of MLB to Portland is still a pipe dream in my book even with Russell Wilson being interested. The topic always comes up every few years. 

55 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

The Sounders have surpassed the Mariners meanwhile Orlando seems to be witnessing a race to the bottom with the Magic and Orlando City.

49 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

No, hockey fan is first in line for "needs to chill" and realize their niche while sharing brews with NASCAR fan.

Soccer fan just has slightly different tint of Rose colored glasses.

Yeah, but us soccer fans also get to hear the inferiority complex of other soccer fans complaining because there's no pro/rel and MLS is an evil monopoly holding back East Mississippi United from their destiny of rising to the top flight and winning it all. 

I love how North American soccer is supposed to automatically have pro/rel because the rest of the world has it.

The rest of the world has it in every other sport, too.  Soccer won't have it until there are at least an equal amount of second tier teams with facilities of 15K+ or more.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

The Sounders have surpassed the Mariners meanwhile Orlando seems to be witnessing a race to the bottom with the Magic and Orlando City.

Not now that the Mariners are in first place and the Sounders are apparently taking the season off.

The Seahawks' championship parade was something like 700,000 people. The Sounders' championship parade was a fraction of that. And that's okay!

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

13 hours ago, Wings said:

If the Blazers became constantly horrible in the next few years which I could see happening. Dame & CJ leaving and Paul Allen becoming more disinterested would definitely be contributors. All this talk of MLB to Portland is still a pipe dream in my book even with Russell Wilson being interested. The topic always comes up every few years. 

Maybe it's because I e burned out on the NBA long ago and I've never cared for the Blazers, but I'd argue that the Timbers are a bigger deal here. You wouldn't know it from listening to sports radio, but that's mostly because that medium is populated by meathead soccer-haters who refuse to give up ground on a sport they don't get. 

As for baseball, I'm confident in calling MLB to Portland an inevitability, and that was before Russell Wilson got involved. Yes, someone beats the drum for baseball every few years, but none have had the ear of the commissioner the way this effort has, particularly at a time when he's publicly discussing his desire for expansion. Certainly there are still questions to be answered, but when Manfred pulls the trigger on expansion, this Portland group will be far more organized and prepared for it than any other city. 

16 hours ago, Crabcake47 said:

Does Atlanta count?

It's a funny debate, anyway, given how some of the more successful MLS markets overlap with successful NHL ones. Seems to me that MLB is the more direct competitor. And it's all moot as long as MLS television ratings remain infinitesimal. 

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

21 hours ago, Needschat said:

I love how North American soccer is supposed to automatically have pro/rel because the rest of the world has it.

The rest of the world has it in every other sport, too.  Soccer won't have it until there are at least an equal amount of second tier teams with facilities of 15K+ or more.

I was thinking about this the other day, and I don't think MLS will ever go the pro/reg model. Unless the USL signs a contract with ESPN/NBC Sports and gets a huge payout from it and the MLS knows they are and they mutually agree to do a two level pro/reg system, and then go from there. The closest we'll get to a MLS/USL pro/reg relationship is the MLS picking USL markets to join the league.

2 hours ago, WBeltz said:

I was thinking about this the other day, and I don't think MLS will ever go the pro/reg model. Unless the USL signs a contract with ESPN/NBC Sports and gets a huge payout from it and the MLS knows they are and they mutually agree to do a two level pro/reg system, and then go from there. The closest we'll get to a MLS/USL pro/reg relationship is the MLS picking USL markets to join the league.

Oh like Portland, Seattle, Vancouver, Minnesota, Nashville, and Cincinnati

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

On 6/9/2018 at 6:41 PM, WBeltz said:

pro/reg

Just because I see this so often, I'm calling it out; nothing personal against you.

It's promotion and relegation, or "pro/rel".

-----

Y'all've forgotten Orlando in your list.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

On 6/9/2018 at 9:41 PM, WBeltz said:

I keep saying it but "not this again". 

not to pick on this poster (because I think the post was actually more realistic than most I've seen about this topic) but.........how are you going to explain to a bunch of owners in MLS "hey, we're going to start pro/rel so your team that you paid millions for might not play in tier 1 next year if you suck"?

Especially those former USL/NASL markets?

Can you imagine Cincy gets into MLS and then right away gets relegated?

The only way I ever see it happening is if MLS makes an "MLS 2" and frankly, no one will like that because "it's not real pro/rel". 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

The only way pro/rel happens is if MLS collapses completely, while there is still support for teams at the lower levels who pick up the pieces. So it’s not happening and I wish the conversation would die.

All of the people begging for pro/rel probably aren’t fans of teams that are a threat to drop down from their leagues in Europe. So they get to enjoy the fun of seeing a team move up, but don’t care if they get slapped back down immediately. It’s fun to root for Liverpool (YNWA!), Man U, etc., but not so much to root for Shrubshrewbrook FC. 

50 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

The only way pro/rel happens is if MLS collapses completely, while there is still support for teams at the lower levels who pick up the pieces. So it’s not happening and I wish the conversation would die.

All of the people begging for pro/rel probably aren’t fans of teams that are a threat to drop down from their leagues in Europe. So they get to enjoy the fun of seeing a team move up, but don’t care if they get slapped back down immediately. It’s fun to root for Liverpool (YNWA!), Man U, etc., but not so much to root for Shrubshrewbrook FC.  

When I started following European soccer a few years ago, I decided I was going to be a Nottingham Forest fan. I don't think it's going to happen for them. Now I'm not as much a Nottingham Forest fan.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'm about to ask a question about teams that don't play in North American leagues, but it's a game taking place in North America. I've been seeing advertisements for weeks wrapped around our light rail trains for Tottenham Hotspur vs. AC Milan to be played at the Vikings stadium.  I figured it was a "friendly."

I looked it up and apparently it's part of the "International Champions Cup."  Is this event a big deal to the teams?  Do they play their best players?  Is it worth going?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived