North American Pro Soccer 2018

Gothamite

1 hour ago, Digby said:

Interesting development. Hope it works out for Columbus no matter which route that requires. But I'd not be too wild about the precedent set by declaring a stadium to be useless if it's also 20 years old/praised for its innovation/has hosted the most important USMNT match for 15 years or so. (I also think that's why this won't happen. unfair as it is.)

The only ones saying that are the ones deliberately letting it fall apart. I think if MLS had flat out said in 2013 "Build a new stadium or we may need to move the team". that stadium would be done already. Next week will play a bigger role than any site reviews though. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Second-Half Sounders just won their eighth in a row and are unbeaten in 11. Huge win over a quality Sporting KC team today.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

With tonights come from behind victory FC Cincinnati is now unbeaten in 16 going 12-0-4. They havent lost in league play since May 26th to Louisville.

Just as impressive as mentioned tonights victory was come from behind. With Pittsburghs goal in the 57' mintue FC Cincinnati trailed in a match for the first time in 1,161 minutes dating back to June 13th against Bethlehem.

Signature intentionally left blank

4 hours ago, DG_Now said:

The Second-Half Sounders just won their eighth in a row and are unbeaten in 11. Huge win over a quality Sporting KC team today.

As it pains me to say this but the Sounders might make a deep run come playoff time. 

14 minutes ago, Wings said:

As it pains me to say this but the Sounders might make a deep run come playoff time. 

Since the start of this run, Seattle hadn't played a team as good as Sporting KC. Today was a big test and they really beat the :censored: out of KC. Seattle's been totally dominant the second half of the season.

And really, it's all due to health. They had none at the start of the year and have a ton now. It is pretty amazing they lost their starting striker duo of Dempsey and Morris and were able to find something better among Shipp, Bruin, Ruidiaz and Roldan.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

Jonathan dos Santos and Zlatan are playing their first game together for LA Galaxy. Dos Santos goal in 35 seconds.

And then LA was outscored 6-1 the rest of the way.

Maybe Sigi needs to retire.

Well, it looks as though Nashville's bid to join the ranks of Major League Soccer host-cities has cleared its last significant hurdles.

Last night, the Nashville Metro Council first rejected a resolution calling for a county-wide referendum on construction of a soccer-specific stadium at the Fairgrounds Nashville, voting 25 to 12 against the measure.

Later in the evening, Metro Council overwhelmingly passed four measures supporting the stadium project. The Metro Council voted 31 to 8 to approve demolition of certain Fairgrounds structures to make way for the MLS stadium; voted 30 to 9 to approve a 99-year ground lease between the city and the team for 10 acres of land at the Fairgrounds to be utilized for mixed-use development adjacent to the stadium; voted 30 to 9 to approve rezoning of said 10 acres of land to allow for mixed-use development; and voted 30 to 9 to authorize $50 million in general obligation bonds, with half of the money going towards stadium-related infrastructure improvements and the other half going towards replacing demolished Fairgrounds structures and upgrading existing facilities. 

A group dubbed "Save Our Fairgrounds" has filed a lawsuit in Davidson County Chancery Court in an effort to block the stadium project. However, said group filed a suit arguing the same exact points last December, only to see a Chancery Court judge quickly dismiss it. That same judge, Chancellor Ellen Hobbs Lyle, is set to consider the new suit, as well.  

MLS Stadium Project Clears Final Hurdles at Metro Council

Ahead of vote, Save Our Fairgrounds files lawsuit to block MLS stadium - again

I thought DC United, my favorite MLS team, was going to sneak way from New York City with a much needed road win today, but it was not to be.  At least the equalizing goal came from a former player of Barca, another team I love.  ⚽ ??❤️??⚽

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

This was the scene from Louisville tonight in the USL. Louisville was set to host FC Cincinnati in the final regular season meeting of what has been dubbed the "Dirty River Darby", on account of how dirty the Ohio River is. The teams actually played 38 minutes before the game went into a lightning delay and then abandoned about a half hour later for unplayable field conditions. FC Cinnnati fans have an ongoing joke about how Louisville plays in a baseball stadium. Tonight they played in a swimming pool. Louisvilles field isnt in the best of conditions when its dry, when its wet it is unimaginable. The infield dirt is covered with artificial turf and has zero drainage causing the water to pool. The fact that they even began play to begin with baffles me. The storm is the remnants of Tropical Storm Gordon. The match will resume at a later date with Cincinnati leading 1-0 in the 38th minute.

DmnK75uX4AAYwRs.jpg:large

10 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Don’t you try pulling that :censored: when you get to MLS. ? 

At least NYCFC is the only one. USL has 9 current clubs playing in minor league ballparks, 2 playing in former converted ballparks, 3 expansion clubs for next year playing in ballparks. We'll still probably dig at y'all for that but at least your in a major league ballpark than a minor league ballpark, so its a slight upgrade.

On 9/8/2018 at 2:22 PM, willmorris said:

Sky Blue FC has defeated Orlando Pride 1-0 to avoid going winless for the season. They still finish as the worst team in league history at 1-6-17.

Because even if they’re good, an Orlando team has to be the laughingstock of the league somehow ?

ExJworW.png

12 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

So how many teams does the USL have now?  50?

33 clubs this year 16 in the Eastern Conference and 17 in the Western Conference, with most teams playing solely within their conference. At the very least 2 clubs wont be returning next season (Cincinnati to MLS, Toronto to the new USL Division 3 league). 7 teams are set to join next year (Austin, Birmingham, El Paso, Hartford, Loudon, Memphis and New Mexico). The league is also looking at realignment to add a Central Division.

25 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Thirty-three this year.  With another seven coming in next year, and two more in 2021.

Most(?) of the 2 teams seem to be dropping down to USL D3 next year, though, which will lower that number slightly.  

40 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

43 for 2019...but i feel like we may see some shifts to D3 after this season is over. 

Orlando City B took this year off and will join D3 for 2019, so i feel like the 2's and B's might shift.

Archived