North American Pro Soccer 2018

Gothamite

Wow, that's a surprise. Crew saved, although Haslam's stewardship seems like it might be a death sentence in its own way. Wonder if there's an out clause requiring the things that are allegedly so terrible about Columbus to turn around in 5 years.

Remains unclear to me why the other owners are still even bothering with Precourt or Austin.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Out of the frying pan, into the fire. One bad owner to another. 

Still, deal with that later.  Live to fight another day. 

Lesser of two evils......errr.....idiots. 

59 minutes ago, Pharos04 said:

is there some sort of ironic twist of fate that the owners of the BROWNS are the ones that are preventing the Crew from moving out of state?

Pretty much has come full circle. If it wasnt for Art Modell moving the Browns to Baltimore creating the Modell Law that the state of Ohio used to sue MLS and the Crew, the team would likely have not had time to find current Browns owners to buy the team. Columbus is a split market between the Bengals and Browns but I think many have now become Browns fans thanks to this.

Signature intentionally left blank

4 hours ago, dfwabel said:

That said, your new owner Haslam is still a really bad person.  

Bruh... don't even get me started on this....There's a whole lot more going on to this than what the news media has let the public in on. And if not for the fact my company primarily fuels at PFJ, I wouldn't even patronize the place(s).  Guess being the brother of a state governor does indeed have its perks... ?

Anyway, all that to the side, glad to see Columbus gets to keep their club. It'd have been a real shame to see an original club (what's the other word for that? I can't recall right now) go the way of the dodo bird.....

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

1 hour ago, Buc said:

It'd have been a real shame to see an original club (what's the other word for that? I can't recall right now) go the way of the dodo bird.....

Founding/Charter member?

Hotter Than July > Thriller

14 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Founding/Charter member?

"Charter" member... that's it. Thanks.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

31 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Objectively, Austin can look like a good market for MLS.  Already a big city and growing bigger fast, young population, large Hispanic community.  Strong geographic connection to existing clubs to foster rivalries.

And it has some of the same qualities successful markets like Seattle and Portland have. And yes, you know what I mean.

Though, to be honest, I continue to be shocked a city with historically bad sports support like Atlanta has done as well as it has. Southeast US support for soccer has been surprising to me, and that's totally due to my own biases. It makes me excited for Nashville.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

21 hours ago, Dilbert said:

The Columbus Crew may have just been saved. Jimmy Haslam may be involved in keeping the team in Columbus. Also hearing Austin might not get off the ground until at least 2021, as UT Austin apparently wants nothing to do with Precourt and Austin FC

20 hours ago, mr.negative15 said:

Sounds like Austin is getting a team still too. 

1 hour ago, Buc said:

"Charter" member... that's it. Thanks.

Random but sequential thoughts...

(1)  Columbus is trading an ***hole owner for an incompetent one.  Given Haslam's history?  I'm not sure it's a step up.

(2)  This deal takes one of the four planned expansion sites off the table, guaranteed.  But that's a good thing where face-saving is concerned for MLS, because ultimately they only found two markets willing to bend over far enough and take it up the pipe from them to begin with.

(3)  Actually Buc, per the MLS' limited liability company agreement, they're a "Class A/E" Member.  The original teams are Class A Members.  People who doubled down and bought a second ownership interest stake when the league was on death's door bought a "Class E" membership, thus the "A/E."  Every other team has had a separate class of membership (I think they're through "J" now), but they all have equal ownership stakes and essentially equal rights despite the designation.

nav-logo.png

14 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Though, to be honest, I continue to be shocked a city with historically bad sports support like Atlanta has done as well as it has. Southeast US support for soccer has been surprising to me, and that's totally due to my own biases. It makes me excited for Nashville.

I think it is because people living in the South do support pro sports, but many of the transplants have favorite teams from elsewhere.  With soccer this is less likely to be the case, so teams like Atlanta, Nashville, Tampa, Orlando, and Miami (granted the last two aren't culturally Southern, but they face the same issue with transplants) have a much better chance to grow a healthy fanbase.

1 hour ago, Cab24fan said:

Would MLS even want a team in Austin at this point? I feel like Precourt is just going to end up out of MLS entirely. Maybe selling his expansion rights to some other group in a more favorable market.

Isn't he from Northern California? Maybe he could join the Sacramento to MLS effort. Does he have the resources to get Sacramento Republic over the previous hurdles they stumbled upon?

Hotter Than July > Thriller

4 hours ago, Cab24fan said:

Would MLS even want a team in Austin at this point? I feel like Precourt is just going to end up out of MLS entirely. Maybe selling his expansion rights to some other group in a more favorable market.

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Objectively, Austin can look like a good market for MLS.  Already a big city and growing bigger fast, young population, large Hispanic community.  Strong geographic connection to existing clubs to foster rivalries.

Absent the Crew drama hanging over everything, it’ll be an interesting test of that MLS market demographic theory. Objectively, yep it does indeed look perfect...just odd to me that there doesn’t seem to be a major desire on the ground there, and MLS has never done well in Texas so why try a third time?

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

22 minutes ago, Digby said:

Absent the Crew drama hanging over everything, it’ll be an interesting test of that MLS market demographic theory. Objectively, yep it does indeed look perfect...just odd to me that there doesn’t seem to be a major desire on the ground there, and MLS has never done well in Texas so why try a third time?

Niece and her husband (a high school teammate of Clint Dempsey) tell me that Austin FC is trying to get the suburban family and Latinx community energized, unlike Dallas and Houston.  They feel, though, the USL team out at COTA is a better option! 

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Archived