US Cricket League - Beltway and Chicago logos open!

raysox

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got a design that I like a lot, and I wanted to throw some colors by everyone.  For the design itself, I used LA's connection to art deco to come up with a shape that is partially based off of the Eastern Columbia Building.  Threw on an art deco font as well (Lemon/Milk) to wrap it all up.  For colors, I came up with three ideas.  The first uses the colors of LA's flag (green, gold, and red) on a dark grey background.  Think of LA Galaxy's third kit from a couple of years ago.  The second uses the midnight blue and silver that @raysox used to recolor the original concept.  The third is an out-of-the-box look that puts together dark green, orange, and yellow.  I'm sure there's a good marketing angle you could spin for each of them (the orange represents the oranges grown in the region, et al.), but I personally like the first one the most.  Lemme know what you guys think!

HsuqABp.pngc6kwcuV.pngklmKzdC.png

spacer.png

Drink water and try to have fun!

Yeah the more I see it the more I love the LA Flag colored one.

I had hinted at this but I thought about how for Northern California, there's cricket in Napa, fields in Oakland and Freemont, players in San Jose, and name recognition in San Francisco. So this throws back to my 3-home Yakball team called IX Counties, for the 9 counties that surround the Bay.

IXCounties_01.png

On 12/30/2017 at 1:51 PM, raysox said:

Just bumping @gswansea to make sure you saw. I think next time I’m home we’ll have Atlanta, Philly, LA, and hopefully San Francisco Bay done! I think I’m gonna revive an old crest for them. 

Any my opinions on the next team? The Southwest and Midwest don’t have a team yet.

Do you want the font for PHILA changed or the font for the other  words changed or both? I should be able to finish the logo today.

2 hours ago, gswansea said:

Do you want the font for PHILA changed or the font for the other  words changed or both? I should be able to finish the logo today.

Both, I think they match right? Feels sort of Sun Devil-y for a team that’s faux retro.

anyone have a suggestion for team 6 unless Buckeye comes out today with indy!

3 hours ago, Bruins said:

How about Texas?

Sure!

Dallas.jpg

So this wasn't the first Texas team I had pinpointed, but there does seem to be a lot of fields all over the region. Including one that's in a park that I would turn into a class cricket field just to see balls launched into the lake

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cricket+Field/@33.0695345,-96.995678,863m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x864c31e48a1f127f:0x90f99861770346f4!8m2!3d33.06953!4d-96.993484

I was thinking North Texas, or Dallas Megaplex or something. No colors in my head, but one of the Texas teams should be red white and blue right?

So to follow up on the sim league idea, the game only had a few pre made tournament types, none of which are 4 team t20 leagues. So we have 6 and 8 and 12 I think. There’s a 4 team playoffs tho.

so that means when we get all done I’ll do quick game by game sims on a 5 over format for time sake.

but once we get Philadelphia done and Dallas we can do a test tournament 

Excellent idea for a thread and good to see a sport with a small following in North America getting some love on the boards. You've identified a real 'gap in the market' with the missing step in the pyramid. I think there are probably enough immigrants or even people with heritage/ancestry from Cricket playing nations in North America that there is potential for growth of the sport if the setup and organisation is correct.

Something I like about County Cricket in the UK is that there's still a large element of players representing the area they were born in/live in. It's not quite lost it's 'soul' to money as much as other sports have in that respect. As such, the identities of the teams is still very important and as you mention, the logos are simple but iconic and very relevant to the Counties. The Roses Match between Lancashire and Yorkshire being a good example of the symbolism utilised by both teams reaching way back before Cricket was even invented. As good as the actual Cricket in the IPL and Big Bash is, the idea of "Franchises" isn't one I'm particularly fond of. Especially when they are playing at iconic venues with an illustrious history. I suppose when I see the CITY + ARBITRARY MASCOT format it feels a bit MiLB to me.

From what I have seen so far of the concepts, everyone has managed to get the balance right with the simple and iconic idea.

The use of Don Bradman cricket to show off the concepts is a stroke of genius too. I've not played this version of the game, only the first one they released, and so I haven't used the stadium creator. One thing I think could be cool would be for some of the stadiums for the teams you plan to have been around for a long time is to have a mix between old and new elements. If you look at Lords Cricket Ground and Old Trafford Cricket Ground, you will see the original pavilions remain but are surrounded by brand new stands and media centers. Just an idea.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

Thanks Marble! Really appreciate it since I'm not completely immersed. I actually think it was you who said teams match pad color and pants colors and I've done that for every team. I spent last night going into the stadiums that people made and tied to the team downloads, and there was a lot of cool ideas in visual tricks on the stands. So like a longer lower section vs a 2 tiered stand with hardly any view. I also put like 60 hills overlapping to create a berm. I can show off my stadiums too if anyone wants.

I played around with Dallas and ended up completing them!

DAL.png

DAL2.png

11 hours ago, raysox said:

Thanks Marble! Really appreciate it since I'm not completely immersed. I actually think it was you who said teams match pad color and pants colors and I've done that for every team.

I can show off my stadiums too if anyone wants.

I think it's good that people who are not 100% familiar with the sport are taking a stab at it - with the help from some people who are. You get to have a fresh look at things without bringing any bad habits. If I was doing something like this it would probably just be a carbon copy of the english counties onto US city names.

I'd 100% like to see the stadiums if it's not too much hassle.

Another great effort with Denver, particularly the uniform. I always think cricket kits can have too much piping and gaudy designs which age extremely quickly. All the designs so far seem to avoid this.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

Sure! So here are the 6 I have done. I changed Atlanta's and it didn't save, so I'll get to that later. With New York originally I tried to baseically make their current field with a small stand. But as I went on I played more and more with shapes and angles.

IXC Counties was the first one I made that I did anything really not perfect, so it feels sort of like Candlestick park.

IXC_Stadium.png

New York was the first I changed after going through other stadiums and figured out the ideal angle to perfectly circle a field. Yellow seats for a yellow team.

New_York_Stadium.png

LA has a similar set up. Just realized that I used the same roof, gonna change that. But on the opposite side it has a small stand and what would be suites and a clubhouse behind it. there's balconies overlooking the crowd. 

LA_Stadium.png

Dallas was the first one I took a lot of time making. I did this plaza idea circling the field before LA above. Same clubhouse idea too, but with a blue straight angled one. The two tiered stands are red and white, so it makes a texas flag. Also I but up a tree line to give a different backdrop since there's only a few haha.

Dallas_Stadium.png

Philadelphia's is a model of some of the cricket country clubs I researched. Lots of buildings and a square field. It has two big stands on the far side and a smaller one by the parking lot. This one made me not want to do many streets and parking lots

Philadelphia_Stadium.png

Finally, a Miami one for the next team we do. I literally created Central Broward Regional Park, which is a real stadium. This was my first test with berm seating. 

Miami_Stadium.png

Image result for central broward regional park

Archived