NHL 2018-19

ldconcepts

9 hours ago, Chromatic said:

The white version is bad too but I’d still put it ahead because at the very least it has a real shoulder yoke, not a phantom piping one

I actually don't mind the phantom yoke. But overall I feel the white version especially is poorly thought out and has too much going on. The black yoke, orange sleeve stripes and side panels, and the gold logo are all fighting for dominance. I'd have to guess that there was no thought put into it beyond "let's swap out the main body colour for white" which is most evident with the black keyline being left around the logo. Even the wordmark didn't have that extra black keyline on the whites so there's no good reason the D should.

9 hours ago, Ark said:

Ducks need to go back to eggplant and jade yesterday

They got it perfect Day 1

I could go either way at this point. I love the old colours but orange, black and gold has grown on me too.

Whatever they come up with next year, I just want them to look good and have staying power. The orange thirds are a great starting point and they should use those as the basis. I'm done with swooshy stripes and garish side panels.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get the love for "eggplant and jade".  It just seems so dark for a southern California team.  Gold/orange/black works a lot better, though I'm sure there's even better schemes than that.  The webbed-D is certainly not a classic logo, but is miles ahead of the Disney logo.

Looking back on it, I'm glad that the "Mighty Ducks" and Disney jerseys happened - it's fun to think about that weird era - but they look pretty close to a real hockey team now, and I hope they never go back to the OG Ducks set.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

13 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I don't get the love for "eggplant and jade".  It just seems so dark for a southern California team.  Gold/orange/black works a lot better, though I'm sure there's even better schemes than that.

But they spent eight years in a set that was even darker than the originals, and came across as drab and boring. They've gotten better since, even if the uniforms they use now aren't great. But yeah, I agree that the scheme could be improved on. As I recall they were going to include green before a certain berk with a West Point hard-on intervened.

mTBXgML.png

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I don't get the love for "eggplant and jade".  It just seems so dark for a southern California team.  Gold/orange/black works a lot better, though I'm sure there's even better schemes than that.  The webbed-D is certainly not a classic logo, but is miles ahead of the Disney logo.

Black, beige, and orange is even worse for a southern California team. Orange sweaters and socks brighten things up a bit but I'd prefer the Flyers own that (I don't like it for the Oilers, either). Dark green and orange was probably the way to go.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

the ducks are a strange team, to me. i don't really like their current logos at all. i think their original logo is pretty iconic, fun, and aesthetically pleasing. in either color scheme.

i think orange, black, and gold is a pretty cool color scheme that i'm fine with them owning... but it just kills me that NO ONE uses purple in the NHL.

both the ducks and kings have a history with it, and either team can claim it... but neither has. i'd almost recommend an orange, eggplant, and gold scheme for the ducks, with the disney logo. best of both worlds, and at least then we've got some purple back in the league. purple's dark enough to anchor that set, imo.

The Ducks are likely going to go with some sort of orange sweater, with the Disney logo done up in the current colour scheme. 

I’m just basing that off of the team’s marketing and what the owner seems to like (orange). 

I would even say that look would be perfect if the black were switched out for forest green. 

The eggplant and jade though? Nah. No thanks. Say what you will, but the Ducks have been some form of orange, black, and gold for eleven years now. They were only egg plant and jade for 13. It won’t be long before the current colour scheme’s what the team will have worn for most of their history. 

The eggplant and jade was fun, but black, orange, and gold was when the team came into its own. 

Not to return to the Panthers discussion too much, given how it went, but I do want to make my opinions heard on it:

-First of all, I'm someone who doesn't see "it's a ripoff of something else" as an inherently bad thing - everything takes influence from things from the past, some more obviously than others. So even if the Panthers' existing look was explicitly a Canadiens rip-off, that wouldn't be why I don't like it.
-By my own admission I'm someone who really likes the team's original uniforms; Cole pointed out that "it's just a nice sweater for team that is basically irrelevant" - well, the way I see it that sweater's from when the team actually was relevant; the team that missed the playoffs by a single point in each of their first 2 seasons, then went all the way to the Finals in their 3rd. Having said that though, "they're not as good as their original look", as much as I do believe that, still isn't why I don't like their current uniform.

-Simply put, the Panthers' current look just doesn't do anything for me - blue, gold & red is my all-time favourite colour scheme but I feel they just don't use it in a very interesting way, and the army motif feels very forced. The logo's an improvement, but the uniforms are very "meh" to me. (They are still a lot better than every incarnation of their Edge set, though.)

As for their expansion brothers, I used to like the Ducks in eggplant & jade, but last spring I was watching them beat the Flames in the playoffs (again) and as I did, something just kinda clicked and I realised just how much I preferred seeing them in black & orange. Swap the webbed D for the recoloured duck-mask logo, do black & white versions of their alternate from last year, and I think they'd have a solid look. (Going orange for their primary would be a mistake, IMO - "orange primary w/black trim" is already the Flyers look; replace black with navy blue and it's also the Oilers look.)

29 minutes ago, mcj882000 said:

Not to return to the Panthers discussion too much, given how it went, but I do want to make my opinions heard on it:

-First of all, I'm someone who doesn't see "it's a ripoff of something else" as an inherently bad thing - everything takes influence from things from the past, some more obviously than others. So even if the Panthers' existing look was explicitly a Canadiens rip-off, that wouldn't be why I don't like it.
-By my own admission I'm someone who really likes the team's original uniforms; Cole pointed out that "it's just a nice sweater for team that is basically irrelevant" - well, the way I see it that sweater's from when the team actually was relevant; the team that missed the playoffs by a single point in each of their first 2 seasons, then went all the way to the Finals in their 3rd. Having said that though, "they're not as good as their original look", as much as I do believe that, still isn't why I don't like their current uniform.

-Simply put, the Panthers' current look just doesn't do anything for me - blue, gold & red is my all-time favourite colour scheme but I feel they just don't use it in a very interesting way, and the army motif feels very forced. The logo's an improvement, but the uniforms are very "meh" to me. (They are still a lot better than every incarnation of their Edge set, though.)

As for their expansion brothers, I used to like the Ducks in eggplant & jade, but last spring I was watching them beat the Flames in the playoffs (again) and as I did, something just kinda clicked and I realised just how much I preferred seeing them in black & orange. Swap the webbed D for the recoloured duck-mask logo, do black & white versions of their alternate from last year, and I think they'd have a solid look. (Going orange for their primary would be a mistake, IMO - "orange primary w/black trim" is already the Flyers look; replace black with navy blue and it's also the Oilers look.)

*That’s* interesting to me. I find the way they use color (isolating blue to logos, equipment, and minimal trim with the striping being exclusively red and gold) to be much more unique than the expected approach of using all the colors throughought the uniform elements (as they did in the 1990s).

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

Eggplant and jade would have been a good '90s Canucks palette, feels somewhat PNW to me.

Canucks nailed the PNW palette the first time and all the tinkering just lead to a perpetual identity crisis. 

Honestly think Anaheim’s colour scheme is fine either way, though I’m partial to orange, gold and black because it screams SoCal to me.

23 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Ducks are likely going to go with some sort of orange sweater, with the Disney logo done up in the current colour scheme. 

I’m just basing that off of the team’s marketing and what the owner seems to like (orange).

I could see them bringing the old logo back, only because there's been a big increase in duck mask apparel - up even from last year - despite the fact that the thirds aren't in rotation. But on the other hand, I think they're more likely to stick with the D, with the 25th Anniversary mark being the most telling sign. Then again, the duck mask probably isn't as easy to awkwardly shoehorn into a number 25 :P

My best guess is that they'll keep using the D as the primary while throwing us a bone with the mask as the secondary, as they have the past couple of years. Of course I won't be complaining if they do make the mask the primary again, but I'd love to see an updated version of it. I also think the D would lend itself well to a more traditional uniform design.

The only thing that bugs me about the Mighty Ducks logo apparel is that it often doesn't incorporate orange because the logo is using yellow sticks. A t-shirt I've seen in retail (and got for Christmas!) is modelled after the 2006-14 white jersey but uses a yellow stripe instead of orange. Brand guidelines, yay!

mTBXgML.png

On 12/28/2017 at 8:49 PM, Ice_Cap said:

I’ve seen you claim clear falsehoods (“no one in the 80s wore diagonal stripes/had triangle shoulder yokes!”). 

I don’t say this to claim you’re deliberately trying to lie because I don’t think you’re doing that. I think you’re passionate about what you like, and in your haste you tried to upsell how “fresh” the Panthers’ innagural set was. 

You forgot about some earlier 80s looks, and then you tried to backpeddle without admitting you goofed.

Yes I forgot about the small diagonal stripes on the Whalers jerseys and the double V's on the shoulders of the Canucks transitional uniforms.  Neither designs had any longevity and neither receive any critical acclaim on here, uniwatch, icethetics or anywhere else so if that's the "falsehood" you want jump on me for, by all means.  I hardly believe the team consciously set out to make a Canucks/Whalers/Rockies hybrid and their inaugural look was still fresh and unique.  Vancouver's "yokes" didn't contain shoulder patches, there was never a uniform with both metallic and athletic gold, that particular striping pattern, colour scheme or with a primary logo that detailed.

I mean come on, man. This was a Panthers discussion and when enough people said they didn’t agree with you on that team’s look? You brought the Sabres and Sens’ retro looks into it, spewing barely restrained contempt at anyone who dared like both those retro looks along with the current Panthers set.

I simply pointed out the hypocrisy of Cole J's statement (that you agreed with) that "we should stop judging uniforms based on how they compare to past looks" when the same thing is done with other teams on here all the time.  The first of which to come to mind were the Senators & Sabres but I could have listed many others.  it was nothing to do with disdain towards either looks.  I still hate Ottawa's heritage look with a passion but the Sabres refined, original logo has grown on me and I would like to see it replace the "let's outline everything in silver" version.

To ColeJ’s bigger point? It’s not like the Panthers said “we’re dropping the Edge look, it’s either this new design or the innagural set.” 

In all likelihood? The innagural set was never considered. From day one they knew what they wanted and worked with Reebok/Adidas accordingly. And what they wanted wasn’t the innagural look.  So why bother trying to make this “current look vs innagural look” when that was never a choice the team was making?

Yes the team didn't consider the inaugural look for their 2016 redesign but that just highlights how incompetent the team is.  Hell, the last time they won a playoff series, it was in those original jerseys.  Hmm.

And you make it sound like their original look hasn't existed since 2007 while forgetting that their first edge look was essentially the inaugural jerseys (albeit the navy version) shoehorned onto an awful, RBK template.  A comparison of the shoulder yoke treatments and the lineage is clear. 

RDyH4mW.pngVf9Zu78.png

Like with so many other teams, Reebok ruined a great look and instead of fixing the problem, the team threw out everything good about it and started over.  The "return to red" campaign was a golden opportunity to return to some credibility to the organization but they botched it with sheer laziness.  They figured switching navy for red and deleting all the piping was close enough and they were wrong.  And if their intent wasn't to reference the inaugural jerseys, why have a "return to red" in the first place?  They could have just as easily went with the double blues full time and for a while, that seemed like their plan.  The crux of my argument never had anything to do with what the organization planned to do in the first place.  I stated that it would make more sense to bring back, what I thought was, their best looking set that coincided with the one bright spot of the franchise.

On 12/30/2017 at 10:32 PM, mcj882000 said:

Cole pointed out that "it's just a nice sweater for team that is basically irrelevant" - well, the way I see it that sweater's from when the team actually was relevant; the team that missed the playoffs by a single point in each of their first 2 seasons, then went all the way to the Finals in their 3rd

Exactly, thank you!

Having said that though, "they're not as good as their original look", as much as I do believe that, still isn't why I don't like their current uniform.

Yes.  Even if the inaugural set had never existed, I still couldn't get behind their current look for the same reasons mcj882000 stated and more.

2 hours ago, Morgo said:

I simply pointed out the hypocrisy of Cole J's statement (that you agreed with) that "we should stop judging uniforms based on how they compare to past looks" when the same thing is done with other teams on here all the time. 

It’s been explained how these cases differ, but you continue to cry “HYPOCRACY!” for the reasons ColeJ mentioned. A hair trigger and the fact that you view every disagreement as an argument. As well as lumping the diverse opinions of a fairly large message board community together to create a singular strawman you can beat up on to create an argument where none exists. 

So I’ll tell you again. Stop approaching every disagreement as an argument, and stop viewing people with different aesthetic tastes as people out to wage war on what you like. You’ll have a better time here. I promise. 

2 hours ago, Morgo said:

I hardly believe the team consciously set out to make a Canucks/Whalers/Rockies hybrid

The people who designed the innagural Panthers set didn’t have to set out to create a Canucks/Whalers/Rockies hybrid to create a Canucks/Whalers/Rockies hybrid. 

Everything comes from somewhere else, and people are influenced by a variety of things they may not be aware of. 

Regardless of what hat the designers set out to do? The innagural Panthers look does draw on those previous uniforms. 

3 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

It’s been explained how these cases differ

It really hasn't.  Instead of admitting that the statement went against the very nature of diverse opinions on a so called diverse message board, it was justified with two flimsy, strawmen arguments.

1. The team wasn't planning on doing it so don't discuss it.

2. The team needs to have a heritage-based brand.  As evidenced by the quote below.

On 12/26/2017 at 7:00 PM, andrewharrington said:

Exactly. Unless your brand is heritage-based or there’s something truly iconic you can return to (like Boston’s return to its successsful late-1960s/early-1970s look or Ottawa’s recent dabbling into the signature visual of one of hockey’s most iconic early teams), no team wants to be perceived as going backward. It’s tough to pull off a “historical” look when your franchise is that young. It doesn’t mean you couldn’t adapt an old look into something suitable for today, but the designs from that era simply weren’t very timeless.

Why does a 1994 expansion team playing in Florida need to have a heritage based brand?  If you want to talk about strawmen arguments, there's a clear example.  New teams need to carve out their own identity, as evidenced by the stellar job done on the Vegas Golden Knights.

but you continue to cry “HYPOCRACY!” for the reasons ColeJ mentioned.

What else would you call it?  The underlying message was that only teams of a specific age should be able to look to their past.

1 minute ago, Morgo said:

What else would you call it?  The underlying message was that only teams of a specific age should be able to look to their past.

Um I never said that. Neither did ColeJ. Neither did andrewharrington. Maybe if you weren’t so eager to be combative right off the bat you’d realise that. 

4 hours ago, Morgo said:

Hell, the last time they won a playoff series, it was in those original jerseys.  Hmm.

It's possible that I'm missing your point but.... Are you saying that the design of a jersey had something to do with a team winning in the playoffs? Call me crazy, but I'm betting the 80's Oilers would have been every bit as good if they had worn white t-shirts that used electrical tape for the names and numbers. Point being, I kinda doubt the jerseys have anything to do with the success - or lack thereof - of a team in the playoffs. 

BB52Big.jpg

Archived