NHL 2018-19

ldconcepts

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Every point that you made there applies to the quarterback in football. 

Not really, no.

Granted, I've never been a QB, but I've followed football long enough to know a QB needs to practice with his receivers and backs to form a connection of sorts. If you're a QB? You and your receivers and backs need to get your timing right. Your receivers need to know where to be. They need to know where you're going to put the ball on any one route. And likewise you need to know how fast they are, what their reach is, where you need to put the ball to give them the best chance at catching it.

With backs? Timing needs to likewise be perfect with the backs both to get a handoff off as seamlessly as possible but also to perfectly sell the trick play.

In short? The QB works with his receivers and backs both in the game as a unit (much like a three man offensive line in hockey) and in practice to form a sense of timing...a repartee if you will. Again, I would liken a QB to a hockey centre, working with his line mates.

With a goaltender? You're on your own. In practice? You have your own drills, often separate from the rest of the team. When you are involved with the team? You're there to, essentially, be the stand-in for the goalie your teammates will face on gameday. You're not working to establish trust and timing with your teammates. You're just a body in net for them to run drills on. And that's perfectly fine, because they provide practice for you too. They're stand-ins for the players you're going to face on gameday. A hockey drill that involves the whole team is a unique thing, because the skaters and goalies are sort of in their own bubbles. Fine-tuning their skills in opposition. Only skaters have their wingmen or D partners to rely on and work with. You've just got yourself as a goalie.

You'd think there's be more interplay between goaltenders and defenders, but there isn't, really. You don't spend practices getting to know each others' strengths. Defencemen work with their partners on D. You? You just sort of trust them to do their job and they trust you to do your job. It's, as I said, isolated. Far more so than a QB ever could be.

13 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Egad, man.  No one has impugned the valour of goaltenders. 

I never said anyone impugned the valour of goaltenders. I do think, however, that the idea that goalie helmets be plain and unassuming comes from a place of ignorance about both the position and the sort of people who gravitate towards it. There's a reason why custom mask design has been a thing as long as there have been masks. The very nature of the position invites individualism in a way no other position in sports really does.

35 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

If it were to be standardized, I’d probably opt for sock stripe designs on the pads and a team decal on the helmet, maybe a bit larger than the ones the skaters wear because there’s more real estate on a goaltending helmet.

See to me that just kind of seems wild. Like...goalie pads having the design of a sock was actually a joke we had back when we were kids because that would be wacky, right?

Hell, I credit the look of Felix Potvin's pads and mask for me wanting to be a goalie in the first place.That look influenced me so much that when Louisville came out with this style of pad that hankered back to Potvin's design? I saved up allowance, pay from my part-time job, and birthday cheques for a few years just to get a pair. I was so enamoured with those things I even used the model name as my handle on some site where nerds go on about sock stripes or some crap :P I still have them too!

I would even say that it's a bad thing that pad design has devolved to "everyone wears white pads with shards of colour" because back when I was a kid? Roy, Brodeur, Potvin, CuJo, Hasek, Belfour, Kölzig...they all had signature "looks." Not just the masks, but the pads.

I remember it being a legitimate conversation with other goalies at my local rink when Roy traded in his old Koho pads for a new look. And again when CCM bought out Heaton and suddenly Kölzig and Brodeur went from their custom Heaton looks to this weird CCM co-branding. It was mind-boggling because CCM didn't make goalie gear! Only now they did and CCM was now taking over Heaton's stuff? And then this happened. So now Heaton, which was a huge player in the goalie gear world, was just gone! What did that mean? As kids? We all flocked to the pro shop to see the new stuff in the catalogues every time something like this happened. What were the new designs? What did the colour combinations look like? What NHL goalie would be wearing what come next season? 

/IceCapReminiscing

Now most pads, across all manufacturers, are a bit same-y. At least masks are still unique though. Which is good, because it's so central to the individualistic streak goaltenders have by necessity.

6 hours ago, Survival79 said:

It would totally end up looking like this...

spacer.png

😭

I would keep it football size and respectable. I should clarify, though; I would keep it pro football size, not college football size. 🙂

After seeing it again, I do agree that the completely blank helmets leave something to be desired, but I do like the sock-striped leg pads even more than what I had envisioned, minus the silly breezer block at the top. I feel a home-colored set would look better than wearing white pads with the home uniform though.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

7 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

With a goaltender? You're on your own. In practice? You have your own drills, often separate from the rest of the team. When you are involved with the team? You're there to, essentially, be the stand-in for the goalie your teammates will face on gameday. You're not working to establish trust and timing with your teammates. You're just a body in net for them to run drills on. And that's perfectly fine, because they provide practice for you too.

Do you guys practice behind-the-net timing and chemistry, or distributing the puck to teammates from back there?

I ask because I saw a brutal behind-the-net miscommunication that led to a goal last time I went to a hockey game. Seems like a thing that should be practiced.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

3 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Do you guys practice behind-the-net timing and chemistry, or distributing the puck to teammates from back there?

I ask because I saw a brutal behind-the-net miscommunication that led to a goal last time I went to a hockey game. Seems like a thing that should be practiced.

It's a specialized skill set that's going to be emphasized or deemphasized depending on the goalie you have. Some goalies, even great ones, jst

It's REALLY not a core thing though. The most you need to know as a goalie is to know how to stop a puck wrapping around the boards and get a pass off. Or just leave it for your teammate to pick up.

I mean it's not exactly on the level as getting in sync with your fellow d-man or your wingers :POr a QB getting timing down with his backs or recievers, to go back to that earlier comparison.

This seems like such a weird take, and yes I know who it's originally coming from, to want standardized goalie masks. Why can't they paint the masks? In terms of equipment and uniform looks, the players are the players and the goalies are the goalies, they don't need to look like the rest of the team because they can't.

Painted masks are just a part of being a goalie and can become the signature of the goalie. Are Curtis Joseph and Ed Belfour still Cujo and Eddie the Eagle if they were forced to wear blank masks?

Standardizing the pads is another dumb ball of wax because I would assume that would also involve going to the manufacturers and telling them to only make certain templates of pads which would have an effect on probably all the way down to youth hockey.

IEI5Tg1.png

13 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Standardizing the pads is another dumb ball of wax because I would assume that would also involve going to the manufacturers and telling them to only make certain templates of pads which would have an effect on probably all the way down to youth hockey.

Obviously kids can just wear blank pads. They don't get designs until they make it to the Juniors. That's part of paying your dues and looking professional, young man.

Tongue planted firmly in cheek of course, but come on. Since when was there an uprising against the notion of goalies having a bit of fun with their look? This kinda came out of nowhere. 

13 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Are Curtis Joseph and Ed Belfour still Cujo and Eddie the Eagle if they were forced to wear blank masks?

And not just them! Olaf Kölzig was "Zilla," and even inspired the one custom painted mask I ever had.

Beyond the elite though...if anyone still remembers Brian Heyward it's probably because he had the greatest San Jose Sharks goalie mask of all time. Or Trevor Kidd. Would anyone remember him if it weren't for his crazy checker board pad design? I mean Trevor Kidd didn't accomplish much of note in the NHL, but those pads were part of his look and he left an impression. So much so that Leafs goalie prospect Garret Sparks paid homage to him. Trevor :censored: ing Kidd, guys! That's the power of a unique look for a goalie :P

And people saying goalie pads should be plainer...would Artus Irbe's legendary dirty plain pads look, created over the years as he wore the same white pads from team to team, have become as notable if everyone else around him was forced to tone it down in the name of suffocating fun?

I absolutely love the unique hockey masks. It adds a bit of flair and personality to the team. It's a great tradition. Sure some helmets can look naff, but that's all part of it.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

On 3/11/2019 at 2:40 PM, ProfessorBigShots said:

I don't understand the idea that everyone has to look the same. Uniforms (and hats for baseball) can all be the same but equipment, shoes, goalie helmets, etc should all be different or else everyone looks like a clone

Exactly. What's next? Everyone's stick and gloves have to look the same too?

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

On 3/11/2019 at 2:36 PM, McCarthy said:

The rest of his teammates wore white helmets in that game. 

He was only off by 100 points on the hue-saturation-value scale, lay off

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

In a sport where fun and individuality are dirty words, the fact that special goalie masks have survived all these years is basically a miracle. They must be preserved.

On 3/11/2019 at 9:20 PM, Ice_Cap said:

Not really, no.

Granted, I've never been a QB, but I've followed football long enough to know a QB needs to practice with his receivers and backs to form a connection of sorts. If you're a QB? You and your receivers and backs need to get your timing right. Your receivers need to know where to be. They need to know where you're going to put the ball on any one route. And likewise you need to know how fast they are, what their reach is, where you need to put the ball to give them the best chance at catching it.

With backs? Timing needs to likewise be perfect with the backs both to get a handoff off as seamlessly as possible but also to perfectly sell the trick play.

In short? The QB works with his receivers and backs both in the game as a unit (much like a three man offensive line in hockey) and in practice to form a sense of timing...a repartee if you will. Again, I would liken a QB to a hockey centre, working with his line mates.

With a goaltender? You're on your own. In practice? You have your own drills, often separate from the rest of the team. When you are involved with the team? You're there to, essentially, be the stand-in for the goalie your teammates will face on gameday. You're not working to establish trust and timing with your teammates. You're just a body in net for them to run drills on. And that's perfectly fine, because they provide practice for you too. They're stand-ins for the players you're going to face on gameday. A hockey drill that involves the whole team is a unique thing, because the skaters and goalies are sort of in their own bubbles. Fine-tuning their skills in opposition. Only skaters have their wingmen or D partners to rely on and work with. You've just got yourself as a goalie.

You'd think there's be more interplay between goaltenders and defenders, but there isn't, really. You don't spend practices getting to know each others' strengths. Defencemen work with their partners on D. You? You just sort of trust them to do their job and they trust you to do your job. It's, as I said, isolated. Far more so than a QB ever could be.

I never said anyone impugned the valour of goaltenders. I do think, however, that the idea that goalie helmets be plain and unassuming comes from a place of ignorance about both the position and the sort of people who gravitate towards it. There's a reason why custom mask design has been a thing as long as there have been masks. The very nature of the position invites individualism in a way no other position in sports really does.

See to me that just kind of seems wild. Like...goalie pads having the design of a sock was actually a joke we had back when we were kids because that would be wacky, right?

Hell, I credit the look of Felix Potvin's pads and mask for me wanting to be a goalie in the first place.That look influenced me so much that when Louisville came out with this style of pad that hankered back to Potvin's design? I saved up allowance, pay from my part-time job, and birthday cheques for a few years just to get a pair. I was so enamoured with those things I even used the model name as my handle on some site where nerds go on about sock stripes or some crap :P I still have them too!

I would even say that it's a bad thing that pad design has devolved to "everyone wears white pads with shards of colour" because back when I was a kid? Roy, Brodeur, Potvin, CuJo, Hasek, Belfour, Kölzig...they all had signature "looks." Not just the masks, but the pads.

I remember it being a legitimate conversation with other goalies at my local rink when Roy traded in his old Koho pads for a new look. And again when CCM bought out Heaton and suddenly Kölzig and Brodeur went from their custom Heaton looks to this weird CCM co-branding. It was mind-boggling because CCM didn't make goalie gear! Only now they did and CCM was now taking over Heaton's stuff? And then this happened. So now Heaton, which was a huge player in the goalie gear world, was just gone! What did that mean? As kids? We all flocked to the pro shop to see the new stuff in the catalogues every time something like this happened. What were the new designs? What did the colour combinations look like? What NHL goalie would be wearing what come next season? 

/IceCapReminiscing

Now most pads, across all manufacturers, are a bit same-y. At least masks are still unique though. Which is good, because it's so central to the individualistic streak goaltenders have by necessity.

Great post. Related - it's wild to look at how pads have evolved since then. 

Roy's pads in 93 

46202.jpg

compared to pads now. 

1058839704.jpeg&c=sc&w=850&h=560

They were so much more rounded and softer looking. 

9 hours ago, the admiral said:

He was only off by 100 points on the hue-saturation-value scale, lay off

also I'm pretty sure he only wore the all-black mask because he was a deadline deal and certain he wasn't going to be with the Stars after the season, which he wasn't, so painting his mask plain black had nothing to do with wanting to look like his teammates and everything to do with not wanting to get a new custom mask decorated for 8 games. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 3/13/2019 at 7:28 AM, Mingjai said:

Exactly. What's next? Everyone's stick and gloves have to look the same too?

Nah. Just get rid of the logos on the jerseys and replace them with numbers. Then move the sleeve numbers to the shoulders. I mean, hockey shouldn't have its own unique esthetic -- the uniforms should look just like football uniforms. The same should be done for baseball... and soccer. 

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

Goalie masks have a soft spot for me, I'm a goalie myself and designing masks was actually what got me into designing in general. I have over 100 different mask designs from back when I was in elementary and middle school. So to hear that there are actually people who don't like the whole custom goalie helmet tradition is just impossible for me to grasp. I understand where it's coming from, team uniformity. But I think it is one of the most unique traditions in sport, it lets goalies show their personalities and interests. And I don't really see why that needs to be changed, it's not hurting the game, and you can still always tell who's team their on (they don't even leave their half of the ice). Overall, I just love seeing what these goalies come up with and seeing it on the ice and I hope it never changes.

Flames Going Retro in Stanley Cup Playoffs

March 19, 2019 - 19:10 PM

The Calgary Flames are back in the Stanley Cup Playoffs and are planning to do so while wearing their retro third uniform. It will just be the Flames third appearance in the Stanley Cup Playoffs since 2009. According to a […]

Read More...

Archived