NHL 2018-19

ldconcepts

There were parts of the blue-bronze-black Caps that, in hindsight, could’ve been better. I didn’t like the black uniform so much even from the start and would’ve preferred the blue one stay instead, and they could’ve tried a different number font too. But I dug the colors a lot (a much more federal color scheme than it’s given credit for, and not a cliche American color scheme) and loved the eagle. Those were very great things going for it that, despite the overall identity’s flaws, help carry it over thier other identities for me.

The reason I prefer that identity over any other Caps one is that the inaugural grew too gaudy and still looks so (plus I HATE the “capiLals” wordmark), and the current iteration looks very “modern dated” in the same way the Atlanta Falcons or Arizona Cardinals do. It should’ve left with the other Edge piping messes. And, though improved some, the modern wordmark still looks like “capiLals” to me. The initial idea was a typographic disaster and it shouldn’t have been returned to.

I’m usually a pretty classic/throwback oriented guy and usually sway towards a team’s former look before ones in which they may have chased a trend. The Caps are one of those exceptions, however, because I just don’t think what they started with was all that good.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, daniel75 said:

Oh but it was. Not only did it have an intresting and unique color scheme, but more importantly that jersey actually had a primary logo.

To me it’s just a trendy 90s design. Black and teal was all the rage so they tried black and “slate blue” hoping it would catch on. 

And then they made it less interesting by promoting the drab black alternate to primary status. 

After seeing some of the debate going on online about the Canes wearing the Whalers' throwbacks, I've realized there seems to be a double standard when it comes to situations like these.

For teams who have relocated, but kept the same name, no one seems to think twice about them throwing back to their former city's uniforms. We've never had heated opinions like this when the Dodgers, Lakers, A's or Braves have played Brooklyn/Minneapolis/Kansas City/Milwaukee dress up. Yet somehow, to some people, Carolina wearing Whalers jerseys is a slap to the face of every citizen of Hartford.

I wonder how the reaction would've been if they had kept the Whaler identity when they moved instead of becoming the Hurricanes.

29 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

After seeing some of the debate going on online about the Canes wearing the Whalers' throwbacks, I've realized there seems to be a double standard when it comes to situations like these.

For teams who have relocated, but kept the same name, no one seems to think twice about them throwing back to their former city's uniforms. We've never had heated opinions like this when the Dodgers, Lakers, A's or Braves have played Brooklyn/Minneapolis/Kansas City/Milwaukee dress up. Yet somehow, to some people, Carolina wearing Whalers jerseys is a slap to the face of every citizen of Hartford.

I wonder how the reaction would've been if they had kept the Whaler identity when they moved instead of becoming the Hurricanes.

The Whalers are one of those weird teams that has a cult fanbase (even if only for the logo and BrassBonanza), and were beloved in Hartford.  I'd be willing to bet that the Lakers in MN and A's in KC weren't as big a part of their city's identity as the Whale was in CT.  Maybe Braves in Milwaukee, not sure.  Dodgers (and even Braves) are so far removed that not many people posting on the internet were around to see them in their former homes and bitch about it.  Also, to your point, all they're doing is swapping caps.

I think Carolina wearing Whalers uniforms is awful.  Sure, it's nice that they're acknowledging their history, but that's still not that long ago that they left, and there's still a lot of hurt feelings over it and to me it seems like (unintentionally) rubbing in the face of the fans in CT.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 12/22/2018 at 4:24 PM, Ice_Cap said:

To me it’s just a trendy 90s design. Black and teal was all the rage so they tried black and “slate blue” hoping it would catch on. 

And then they made it less interesting by promoting the drab black alternate to primary status. 

I disagree a lot with the first line.  Their RWB uniforms had been around for a while, and looked like a product of the 70s/80s.  They also matched the Bullets, who also changed that year (or within one year) to a similar - if not the exact same - scheme.  I'm sure that had a lot to do with it too.

While I grew up with the original RWB set, I did like the blue/black/gold set. For one, they had an actual logo, which worked much better in most applications.  For another, the colors weren't teal.  They looked more... "mature" (for lack of a better term) than teal.  They also kindasorta shared colors with a lot of official US imagery, which is blue/gold and black.

Seal_of_the_United_States_Congress.svg

As for your second point - that alt blew, and it was a dark day in the uni-verse when it was promoted.  It was just fine as an occasional alt, but man did it suck as a primary.

I'd take the blue/black/gold set over what they're wearing now any day of the week.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

I think some of the negative reaction might have to do with the belief that hockey doesn't belong in Raleigh, being a non-traditional market.  Even with the Stanley Cup win, the team seems to have struggled to attract fans.  Doesn't help that they haven't been any good for a while.  Except for the Dodgers in Brooklyn, other teams have set up shop in Minny/KC/Mil.  There's no reason for people of those cities to be angry.

11 minutes ago, M4One said:

I think some of the negative reaction might have to do with the belief that hockey doesn't belong in Raleigh, being a non-traditional market.  Even with the Stanley Cup win, the team seems to have struggled to attract fans.  Doesn't help that they haven't been any good for a while.  Except for the Dodgers in Brooklyn, other teams have set up shop in Minny/KC/Mil.  There's no reason for people of those cities to be angry.

Sure there is!  Those fans had investments in the teams that left.  In many cases, it was handed down from generation to generation (or at least one generation) and the lineage has a lot to do with it.  While I don't have any first-hand experience, I'd imagine that even if anotehr team moves there, it will never be the same - probalby not even close - for the people that were lifers with the previous team.  

21 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Sure there is!  Those fans had investments in the teams that left.  In many cases, it was handed down from generation to generation (or at least one generation) and the lineage has a lot to do with it.  While I don't have any first-hand experience, I'd imagine that even if anotehr team moves there, it will never be the same - probalby not even close - for the people that were lifers with the previous team.  

Sure, for the older generation, they might still be angry and having a new team wouldn't exactly be the same.  I would imagine their kids would have moved on pretty quickly to the new team, especially if they never actually saw/remember seeing the team.  The examples given, all the teams have long moved out.  Hard to believe there is still any resentment for those teams these days.  If it were only a few years, sure, but 20+ years, it's time to move on.

36 minutes ago, bowld said:

Icethetics reports that my Canucks will have new home/road uni's next year. Wonder if its them simply removing the Vancouver wordmark or going with a new logo altogether 

I think if they remove the wordmark, it would be a good jersey. I don't like it's with the wordmark. The wordmark is out of place.

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

Here's the Icethetics Jersey Watch with 2019 updates

https://www.icethetics.co/jerseywatch/

I was pleased to see the Lightning alt is still on the table for this season, and likely releasing sometime in January 2019.  I really hope that its not the leaked sweatshirt looking design and that the Lightning FO was honest in saying the design wasn't complete.

1 hour ago, AstroBull21 said:

I was pleased to see the Lightning alt is still on the table for this season, and likely releasing sometime in January 2019.  I really hope that its not the leaked sweatshirt looking design and that the Lightning FO was honest in saying the design wasn't complete.

If the "new home and road" for the Blackhawks isn't just a collar correction, I will lead the riot. 

2 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

I guess Chicago only will chaning shields color to match them with the rest of the collar. I wouldn't expect tie-down since adidas version of it looks ugly as hell.

What I'd like to see -except collar- is a sleeves stripes matched with hem stripes in home jersey, just like they had back in 50's.

Vancouver? I guess they drop a wordmark and that's it.

Canes I hope they're matching their away shirt to home.

I'm afraid of Buffalo alternate, they could go too much outside the box like at last time.

4r2eer.png

3 hours ago, bowld said:

Icethetics reports that my Canucks will have new home/road uni's next year. Wonder if its them simply removing the Vancouver wordmark or going with a new logo altogether 

Hopefully, it's the latter. It's long overdue to ditch the bad luck and corporate orca logo, the cluttering VANCOUVER wordmark and the weak Agency font.

Johnny Canuck or the original Stick in Rink and a return to traditional block font with green bordering.

This news overall has made my Christmas even better.🎅💙💚😃

6a5726e4b2c252db481cb69c065e8219.jpg_cf.jpg.0ba2a53ab3b439f1fc3bfc576fb75843.jpgVLLkXHd.png_cf.png.60b91fbfddc36d6f73b93e640a22d720.png

Johnny Canuck is an overrated logo. Sorry.

I don't mind the orca. If they got rid of the wordmark, it would improve their current jerseys immensely.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived