NHL 2018-19

ldconcepts

On 12/26/2018 at 1:29 PM, Morgo said:

The Orca is a part of their history now, they've used it for over 20 seasons and I don't see it going anywhere. 

The easiest fix for the Canucks would be take the logos from their previous alternate and apply them to the current template.  Sadly, I don't see them being this competent.  We're likely to see a fix of the collars with maybe the word-mark removed.

stKV6A1.jpg

The competency thing hits the nail on the head. I hate the Orca, but they finally got the colours and striping right and I’m okay with them leaving the uniforms as-is because I don’t trust them not to make a massive downgrade, especially considering this is the same group that botched the Vancouver Warriors rebrand.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, mr.negative15 said:

Didn't they make the change in the same year that they signed Messier? 

I think that's the reason people people make that connection. 

Sure but Messier had nothing to do with the logo/uniform.  The jerseys were worn for ten years, only 3 of which overlap with Messier's tenure.

5 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Linden was only toeing the Orca Bay corporate line. Like it or not, those were the Orca Bay Canucks' unis, and original 'Orca Bay' captain and corporate suckup was Messier - A "Messy" era.

Citation needed.

"Initially Lynch had resisted the urge to incorporate the image of the killer whale, knowing their would be the inevitable rumblings of the connection to Orca Bay."

"Trevor probably had the strongest influence on a number of aspects of the logo."

16 hours ago, Morgo said:

Sure but Messier had nothing to do with the logo/uniform.  The jerseys were worn for ten years, only 3 of which overlap with Messier's tenure.

The team made the change when he arrived. He obviously didn't tell the team to make that change and the Canucks would have probably made the change if he came or not but those are the significant events in that year and as a result people link them together in their memory. 

To your point; yes, the West coast Express did have more success in those uniforms and wore them longer (you don't need me to agree of course, lol, it's a fact). I'd even argue that Canucks fans would agree with you in saying that but that's not the general public. 

Look I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, different people remember different things about that uniform. I often find myself forgetting Messier even played in Vancouver. I also only remember Burtuzzi as the guy who was the involved in the "incident" with Steve Moore which I admit probably isn't fair for a guy who played over 1,100 NHL games and scored almost 800 points (admittedly I had to look that up). 

I'm just saying that significant events are why people make associations. That's all. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

1 hour ago, mr.negative15 said:

I'm just saying that significant events are why people make associations. That's all. 

ron-artest-attacks-fans-detroit.png

The Pacers went to the NBA Finals in those uniforms. However, all they’re really remembered for is the Malice at the Palace. 

I get why people would brand the West Coast Express uniform set as the “Messier look.” It’s inaccurate, but understandable.

18 hours ago, Morgo said:

Citation needed.

"Initially Lynch had resisted the urge to incorporate the image of the killer whale, knowing their would be the inevitable rumblings of the connection to Orca Bay."

"Trevor probably had the strongest influence on a number of aspects of the logo."

Don’t you just love it when historical evidence makes the difference in an argument? Now let’s see the same tired points again and again, ignorant of the evidence presented here.

Again, I’m not even that big a fan of the Orca. A serious Johnny Canuck (updated 2D centurion-styled) would be perfect. 

On 12/27/2018 at 4:51 PM, VancouverFan69 said:

Linden was only toeing the Orca Bay corporate line. Like it or not, those were the Orca Bay Canucks' unis, and original 'Orca Bay' captain and corporate suckup was Messier - A "Messy" era.

Even with the influence on the orca logo, I probably associate Linden with the flying skate logo

I saw, I came, I left.

11 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I get why people would brand the West Coast Express uniform set as the “Messier look.” It’s inaccurate, but understandable.

They changed to those uniforms the year Messier came in. It isn’t inaccurate at all. You may not personally associate them with Messier, I don’t either, but it isn’t like there is no basis for it.

Could Vancouver, or any team, go back to having a yellow away jersey with Nashville having a home yellow?

I’m not saying they should nor do I want them to and it would take some planning for whenever they visited Nashville, but is there any rule designating yellow as a “home colour” because of Nashville?

IbjBaeE.png

13 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Could Vancouver, or any team, go back to having a yellow away jersey with Nashville having a home yellow?

I’m not saying they should nor do I want them to and it would take some planning for whenever they visited Nashville, but is there any rule designating yellow as a “home colour” because of Nashville?

I'm speaking only on a practical level. 

Nashville can change and wear white at home, whenever a yellow jersey team comes. That, or wear a possible future third jersey. 

It's been done before for less reason, teams wearing white at home. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

2 hours ago, monkeypower said:

This has me thinking of the mid-2000s NBA when non-Laker yellow alternates were designated as dark uniforms (the Lakers were grandfathered in), thus forcing lots of unsightly white/yellow matchups. Ah, for the days when white against yellow was our biggest problem with NBA jersey matchups. 

Still not sold on the necessity of the Predators even having a white uniform at this point, but then I'm hardly even sold on the necessity of the Predators.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

21 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

How about a 2D version of this:

66011376_2ba815c457.jpg.cf.jpg.494f1dd6b2bc8c853a3cc9ce103de7bc.jpg

If they're going to incorporate a letter into their primary logo, I would rather it be a V. You've already got Montreal, Calgary, and Columbus with "C" primary logos, plus Colorado and Chicago have C's on their shoulders. Besides, I generally prefer teams using their city/state initial rather than their nickname.

On 12/29/2018 at 9:28 AM, spartacat_12 said:

If they're going to incorporate a letter into their primary logo, I would rather it be a V. You've already got Montreal, Calgary, and Columbus with "C" primary logos, plus Colorado and Chicago have C's on their shoulders. Besides, I generally prefer teams using their city/state initial rather than their nickname.

Agreed. In addition, having a letter and a graphical depiction of what the letter is meant to represent just seems redundant.

2 hours ago, B-mer said:

I watched that video again and really only one sketch caught my eye. Not that I think it’s perfect as is (lose leaf and wordmarks) but could have been an interesting start for a fairly badass Johnny Canuck. 

6l5U5mO.png

I immediately thought about the Ottawa Rough Riders final logo.

220px-Ottawa_Rough_Riders_1995-1996_Logo

On 12/29/2018 at 9:11 AM, DiePerske said:

I'm speaking only on a practical level. 

Nashville can change and wear white at home, whenever a yellow jersey team comes. That, or wear a possible future third jersey. 

It's been done before for less reason, teams wearing white at home. 

Or the team can always bring the non-yellow set on the Nashville road swing.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Something so "wrong" about seeing teams based out of sunny LA and Vegas battling it out in shades of grey (with other colors mixed in). 

cut.JPG

Then go up the coast and play the Sharks in their all-black unis on Thursday nights.

Please, Seattle, go bright and bold with your unis! And it wouldn't hurt to be unique! That's my jersey wish for 2019.

Happy 2019, you guys! Thanks for making this a great site and discussion group. I love it. Props to the admins, too.

Archived