ldconcepts

NHL 2018-19

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

 

Black and silver: Gretzky changing the course of hockey, two championships in three years

Purple and yellow: moribund laughingstock franchise, that one time Daryl Evans singlehandedly knocked off the Oilers

Purple and black: [SCENE MISSING]

The Love Guru? 

Image result for the love guru hockey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mcj882000 said:

I absolutely agree that the Kings have never really had a bad identity. The Forum Blue purple & gold looked fantastic, as did the silver & black of the 90s, and even the purple & black of the 00s looked great until the Edge makeover. Really the only Kings identity that I don't particularly like is their current set, the black & silver white V2, but even it isn't awful, just kinda "meh". Part of me does wish they'd use a little colour again, but at the same time their old black jerseys looked so good as well... 

EDIT: Having said that I think the 00s look dipped a bit when they switched logos in 2002, because I thought the coat-of-arms was much better than the crown:
106.png

Is the Lion wearing sunglasses? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, insert name said:

Is the Lion wearing sunglasses? 

I believe it is, yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoping the Bruins Winter Classic uniform stays in rotation. If it’s not going to be their upcoming thirds then keep it for a throwback against original 6 teams. 

 

I was origianlly a little let down by it expecting something else, but it’s really blown that away and is probably one of the best WC jerseys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ducks are showing off their second to last (they'll wear the movie jerseys next month) and most recent jersey tribute tonight - the Orange Mighty Alternates from just two seasons ago.

 

 

As there have been with all the reproduced jerseys for this 25th anniversary thing, there are some discrepancies, but these ones are the smallest and one might be the most interesting difference yet.

 

The "bad" differences are the sleeve stripes being sublimated rather than separate pieces like the originals, the black hem area is also larger than the original, the laces on the collar are clearly just in a three-hole template and they didn't thread them through the bottom set of holes instead of just making a two-hole template so the whole collar area looks off, and the "Anaheim" on the collar is sewn into the collar instead of a heat-pressed graphic like the original. You might actually say that last one is an improvement, much like the last big difference is.

 

The logo. On the original third, it was a flat patch, not unlike you'll find on most Mighty Ducks replicas of any age. But on this reproduction, they're using the puffy raised crest like the original Mighty Ducks uniforms and the current 25th anniversary uniform. It definitely gives the crest more weight, but it does look a little off. Probably because the stripes are all sublimated so this is the only "heavy" element on the jersey.

 

Original crest:

 

cut.jpg

 

Reproduction crest:

 

DwGVI_mUYAIjt_q.jpg

 

Again, it's strange that a jersey they literally still had authentics available to purchase in the team store over the summer has these inconsistencies now. But it does give me a little hope of if/when this alternate returns next season, they could go with the superior puffy/raised crest like they didn't do the first time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just think it’s fascinating that a jersey that is what, 2 years old, gets done so poorly where they can’t just reproduce the actual ones?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Ducks trying to shoehorn their Brian Burke-era colors into a fresh, new uni is just silly.

 

Orange works both for developing a look built around a duck and for representing Orange County.

 

Black...fine, I guess? But that khaki/ "Vegas" gold looks washed out on that uniform.

 

I get it; they had an orange stripe in those Cup-era uniforms and now they're emphasizing that color, but you have the right to re-imagine the look entirely. That's kinda the point of a third jersey. It's nice and tidy when teams end up swapping color B for color A, but you don't have to. Really, you don't . It's completely fine that the Jets whipped out the classic uni, which doesn't feature the navy/ "aviator blue" scheme they have currently.

 

How about "evolving" their original colors from eggplant to black (since black is cool!!!) and from jade to a medium green (between the Stars and the Wild)? Or keep the orange and black and meld in the green. Instantly you're unique and a lot more vibrant. Just not getting that khaki here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, NYYNYR said:

The Ducks trying to shoehorn their Brian Burke-era colors into a fresh, new uni is just silly.

 

Orange works both for developing a look built around a duck and for representing Orange County.

 

Black...fine, I guess? But that khaki/ "Vegas" gold looks washed out on that uniform.

 

I get it; they had an orange stripe in those Cup-era uniforms and now they're emphasizing that color, but you have the right to re-imagine the look entirely. That's kinda the point of a third jersey. It's nice and tidy when teams end up swapping color B for color A, but you don't have to. Really, you don't . It's completely fine that the Jets whipped out the classic uni, which doesn't feature the navy/ "aviator blue" scheme they have currently.

 

How about "evolving" their original colors from eggplant to black (since black is cool!!!) and from jade to a medium green (between the Stars and the Wild)? Or keep the orange and black and meld in the green. Instantly you're unique and a lot more vibrant. Just not getting that khaki here.

Would love to see orange helmets with those orange jerseys. Would be the first team to do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Ducks are showing off their second to last (they'll wear the movie jerseys next month) and most recent jersey tribute tonight - the Orange Mighty Alternates from just two seasons ago.

 

 

As there have been with all the reproduced jerseys for this 25th anniversary thing, there are some discrepancies, but these ones are the smallest and one might be the most interesting difference yet.

 

The "bad" differences are the sleeve stripes being sublimated rather than separate pieces like the originals, the black hem area is also larger than the original, the laces on the collar are clearly just in a three-hole template and they didn't thread them through the bottom set of holes instead of just making a two-hole template so the whole collar area looks off, and the "Anaheim" on the collar is sewn into the collar instead of a heat-pressed graphic like the original. You might actually say that last one is an improvement, much like the last big difference is.

 

The logo. On the original third, it was a flat patch, not unlike you'll find on most Mighty Ducks replicas of any age. But on this reproduction, they're using the puffy raised crest like the original Mighty Ducks uniforms and the current 25th anniversary uniform. It definitely gives the crest more weight, but it does look a little off. Probably because the stripes are all sublimated so this is the only "heavy" element on the jersey.

 

Original crest:

 

 

 

Reproduction crest:

 

 

 

Again, it's strange that a jersey they literally still had authentics available to purchase in the team store over the summer has these inconsistencies now. But it does give me a little hope of if/when this alternate returns next season, they could go with the superior puffy/raised crest like they didn't do the first time.

 

The orange jersey is easily the best jersey they've worn in the current color scheme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, now in my seat watching warmups wearing my orange Alternate.... the color is off. It’s a shade or two too light. It’s definitely brighter than is should be.

 

Again. They wore these two seasons ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NYYNYR said:

The Ducks trying to shoehorn their Brian Burke-era colors into a fresh, new uni is just silly.

 

Orange works both for developing a look built around a duck and for representing Orange County.

 

Black...fine, I guess? But that khaki/ "Vegas" gold looks washed out on that uniform.

 

I get it; they had an orange stripe in those Cup-era uniforms and now they're emphasizing that color, but you have the right to re-imagine the look entirely. That's kinda the point of a third jersey. It's nice and tidy when teams end up swapping color B for color A, but you don't have to. Really, you don't . It's completely fine that the Jets whipped out the classic uni, which doesn't feature the navy/ "aviator blue" scheme they have currently.

 

How about "evolving" their original colors from eggplant to black (since black is cool!!!) and from jade to a medium green (between the Stars and the Wild)? Or keep the orange and black and meld in the green. Instantly you're unique and a lot more vibrant. Just not getting that khaki here.

 

Um... these are old uniforms, my dude. These aren’t new.

 

And as far as “evolving” the eggplant to black and the jade to more green... well... boy howdy... you’re in luck:

 

AR-301019911.jpg&MaxW=1200&Q=66

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

 

Um... these are old uniforms, my dude. These aren’t new.

 

And as far as “evolving” the eggplant to black and the jade to more green... well... boy howdy... you’re in luck:

 

AR-301019911.jpg&MaxW=1200&Q=66

Larger point being I don't get the orange on khaki. In the uni you showed, they changed eggplant to black and KEPT the jade. I'm aware. 

 

I'm talking about doing a new orange uni (i'm aware the other one is old) with a true green and black. No khaki. I don't get why they are beholden to the Cup era jersey and swapping black for orange and keeping the khaki. Why not mix and match or re-imagine the entire thing?

 

The current third's a nice change of pace, but clearly they want to push the orange color, which is cool. I just don't get relegating it to a third-jersey status...again (since you've established it in your repertoire once before) and then keeping black/ khaki/ orange as your color scheme for some odd reason.) Going forward, IMHO, they should tinker with that orange sweater to incorporate some different tones. The khaki just doesn't work. It made sense on a mostly black sweater...and then you had the orange swoosh to give it some punch. But a mostly orange sweater with khaki just doesn't work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

DwGVI_mUYAIjt_q.jpg

 

I don't understand why they can't use Reebok jerseys? Adidas and reebok are the same company, so they could eaisly rip-off reebok logo, cover it by adidas logo and any reprouduction wouldn't be needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I LOVED the coat of arms, but I think it's better served as a shoulder patch. The Kings look best with a big crown on the front of their unis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NYYNYR said:

Larger point being I don't get the orange on khaki. In the uni you showed, they changed eggplant to black and KEPT the jade. I'm aware. 

 

I'm talking about doing a new orange uni (i'm aware the other one is old) with a true green and black. No khaki. I don't get why they are beholden to the Cup era jersey and swapping black for orange and keeping the khaki. Why not mix and match or re-imagine the entire thing?

 

The current third's a nice change of pace, but clearly they want to push the orange color, which is cool. I just don't get relegating it to a third-jersey status...again (since you've established it in your repertoire once before) and then keeping black/ khaki/ orange as your color scheme for some odd reason.) Going forward, IMHO, they should tinker with that orange sweater to incorporate some different tones. The khaki just doesn't work. It made sense on a mostly black sweater...and then you had the orange swoosh to give it some punch. But a mostly orange sweater with khaki just doesn't work.

 

I don't think I understand what you are trying to get at. Just to clear it up, the Ducks alternate this season is the black and jade 25th anniversary jersey with the common thought being the team will go back to the orange alternate with the Mighty Ducks logo next season.

 

So are you saying the Ducks should recolour everything and become a black/orange/green team or just introduce a new jersey with black/orange/green? And they aren't beholden to the Cup era jersey, that's just still their current colour scheme. That's where I think I get confused, you say they want to push orange and then are confused as to why they kept their current colour scheme?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pepis21 said:

 

I don't understand why they can't use Reebok jerseys? Adidas and reebok are the same company, so they could eaisly rip-off reebok logo, cover it by adidas logo and any reprouduction wouldn't be needed.

 

Honest question: Why would there be thousands of old Reebok jerseys sitting in a warehouse just in case someone might want to use them someday? Dead inventory is one of the worst things for a business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

Honest question: Why would there be thousands of old Reebok jerseys sitting in a warehouse just in case someone might want to use them someday? Dead inventory is one of the worst things for a business.

 

I'm not saying about thousands, but I'm pretty sure few jerseys are still sitting in warehouse just for case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I'm watching the Bruins game right now and feel like I just noticed something that, for whatever reason, I've never noticed before.

 

The numbers and names on the back of the B's black jerseys. Why does the yellow look different than the yellow on the shoulder yokes? It seems...brighter. Are my eyes just playing tricks on me, or is it something about the application of material on the jersey, or the lighting at the Garden or...what? 

 

I'll post a screenshot during the intermission. 

 

EDIT:

 

kMmNDjM.jpg

 

That's the best resolution I could get. The yoke and numbers/NoB definitely look different to my eyes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The gold on the name and numbers is dye sublimated onto white twill with decorative stitching around the edges of the gold parts. I think it appears a shade lighter with that application instead of true gold twill sewn on top of a separate layer of white twill.

 

3822b_lg.jpeg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wally1912 said:

The gold on the name and numbers is dye sublimated onto white twill with decorative stitching around the edges of the gold parts. I think it appears a shade lighter with that application instead of true gold twill sewn on top of a separate layer of white twill.

 

3822b_lg.jpeg

 

 

It’s not sublimated. It’s standard gold twill (the yarn is dyed before it’s woven into a fabric). The issue is the twill that teams use for names and numbers generally has a slight sheen to it, which can make it appear brighter compared to the body fabric (which is knit and doesn’t have any sheen to it). If you look at this photo, the dark, “shadowed” parts of the letters and numbers match the body fabric fairly well, but the parts of the letters and numbers that catch the light, because of the sheen on the twill, appear lighter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.