NHL 2018-19

ldconcepts

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/4/2019 at 3:23 PM, Still MIGHTY said:

Ducks are showing off their second to last (they'll wear the movie jerseys next month) and most recent jersey tribute tonight - the Orange Mighty Alternates from just two seasons ago.

As there have been with all the reproduced jerseys for this 25th anniversary thing, there are some discrepancies, but these ones are the smallest and one might be the most interesting difference yet.

The "bad" differences are the sleeve stripes being sublimated rather than separate pieces like the originals, the black hem area is also larger than the original, the laces on the collar are clearly just in a three-hole template and they didn't thread them through the bottom set of holes instead of just making a two-hole template so the whole collar area looks off, and the "Anaheim" on the collar is sewn into the collar instead of a heat-pressed graphic like the original. You might actually say that last one is an improvement, much like the last big difference is.

The logo. On the original third, it was a flat patch, not unlike you'll find on most Mighty Ducks replicas of any age. But on this reproduction, they're using the puffy raised crest like the original Mighty Ducks uniforms and the current 25th anniversary uniform. It definitely gives the crest more weight, but it does look a little off. Probably because the stripes are all sublimated so this is the only "heavy" element on the jersey.

Original crest:

cut.jpg

Reproduction crest:

DwGVI_mUYAIjt_q.jpg

Again, it's strange that a jersey they literally still had authentics available to purchase in the team store over the summer has these inconsistencies now. But it does give me a little hope of if/when this alternate returns next season, they could go with the superior puffy/raised crest like they didn't do the first time.

Anaheim Please! Please! Please! just go back to this look!  I don't care if you pair it with Orange, eggplant or black/teal jerseys just bring back that awesome logo!

45 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

There is no "pride" in purple for the Kings. It's the color worn during the franchise's years of irrelevance. It may be good from a point of "color diversity," but not for the Kings. 

Going to have to disagree with you here. The Kings may not have had playoff success with purple other than the "Miracle on Manchester" in '82, but they had relevence with one of the greatest lines in hockey history, "The Triple Crown Line" led by the great Marcel Dionne. Purple is to the Kings like royal blue is to the Canucks, Sabres and Islanders. Unlike a team like the Penguins, who got it wrong from the beginning with powder/sky blue, the Kings got it right the first time with their colours.

There is no other current nor future team that can wear purple and that includes Seattle. What the Kings currently have is cheap and boring garbage starting with their home plate logo.

2 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Going to have to disagree with you here. The Kings may not have had playoff success with purple other than the "Miracle on Manchester" in '82, but they had relevence with one of the greatest lines in hockey history, "The Triple Crown Line" led by the great Marcel Dionne. Purple is to the Kings like royal blue is to the Canucks, Sabres and Islanders. Unlike a team like the Penguins, who got it wrong from the beginning with powder/sky blue, the Kings got it right the first time with their colours.

There is no other current nor future team that can wear purple and that includes Seattle. What the Kings currently have is cheap and boring garbage starting with their home plate logo.

Yeah, no. “The Triple Crown Line” pales in comparison to a team winning two Stanley Cups. The Canucks went to a Stanley Cup Finals in royal, while the Sabres wore royal for two decades and the Islanders had an amazing dynasty in royal/orange. The Kings had none of that in purple.

Black and silver IS the Kings, like it or not. While the current logo isn’t all that fantastic (I’d prefer an enlarged version of the Gretzky-era crown) and the home jersey could use a hem stripe, I still like them. They've got a nice dose of glitz to them, while still honoring the few periods of success this team had.

Maybe purple just doesn’t fit for any NHL team, from both historical and aesthetic perspectives. I’d love it if the Kings won a Cup in purple/yellow, but I’m not going to argue with history. Heck, the Ducks had more success in purple (“eggplant”) than the Kings. 

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Yeah, no. “The Triple Crown Line” pales in comparison to a team winning two Stanley Cups. The Canucks went to a Stanley Cup Finals in royal, while the Sabres wore royal for two decades and the Islanders had an amazing dynasty in royal/orange. The Kings had none of that in purple.

Black and silver IS the Kings, like it or not. While the current logo isn’t all that fantastic (I’d prefer an enlarged version of the Gretzky-era crown) and the home jersey could use a hem stripe, I still like them. They've got a nice dose of glitz to them, while still honoring the few periods of success this team had.

Maybe purple just doesn’t fit for any NHL team, from both historical and aesthetic perspectives. I’d love it if the Kings won a Cup in purple/yellow, but I’m not going to argue with history. Heck, the Ducks had more success in purple (“eggplant”) than the Kings. 

I'm staying with my argument and that's final. Kings are "NFL Raiders on Ice" to you and "Royalty on Ice" to me. 

Like the Utah Jazz, everything the Kings have ever done has been derivative of someone else, whether the Lakers, Raiders, or Sacramento. I'd say they should go strictly purple and white with no other colors, but then they'd be a mix of the Red Wings and Maple Leafs.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

13 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

I'm staying with my argument and that's final. Kings are "NFL Raiders on Ice" to you and "Royalty on Ice" to me. 

Sure, I prefer “Urban take on royalty” (metallic colors still convey royalty, in the context) to “Lakers on Ice.”

It may be derivative of the Raiders, but the Kings made it their own. The Raiders don’t use nearly as much white as the Kings.

2 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Like the Utah Jazz, everything the Kings have ever done has been derivative of someone else, whether the Lakers, Raiders, or Sacramento. I'd say they should go strictly purple and white with no other colors, but then they'd be a mix of the Red Wings and Maple Leafs.

Oh, you get no disagreement from me. Purple/white would be nice, but I’m not sure how they’d handle their template in a way that wouldn’t be derivative of the other one-color teams. Maybe sublimating a pattern onto the stripes?

Still, avoiding purple is a must for the Kings, as it’s the color of their irrelevance. 

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

That's why I love the idea of going back to the Gretzky-era template but replace the black with purple. Go back to the Chevy-style logo but use the classic crown solely as the sweater crest. 

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

Purple, metallic gold and white would look good, and differentiate themselves from the Lakers just enough.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

It would have to be a very deep and dark purple rather than the "Forum blue" of the Lakers. Basically a more saturated version of the Ducks' old eggplant: #40002B if you're hex-scoring at home.

EDIT: but wait, that's just a dark-n-fade, and everyone but the Brewers organization themselves is already tired of the dark-n-fade. It's not 18 years ago, we don't need sports teams to wear khaki and "deep plum"

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

8 hours ago, Beantown77 said:

In other news, per an email I got from the Bruins this morning, they will be wearing their Winter Classic set at home against Montreal on Monday 1/14

Now this is something I like to read. The jersey is absolutely beautiful and hoping it latches on as an alternate.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I love the Gretzky set to be honest. It’s the best the team ever looked. 

And given the success and notoriety the team has had in black and silver? I really think that’s what they should embrace. No other Kings colourscheme’s been affiliated with mainstream pop culture like black and silver has been. 

Just now, mcj882000 said:

I do like the old silver & black, the Raiders look, but I really don't like their current unis; they're a cheap imitation that uses too much white and not enough silver IMO.

Yeah, I don’t care for the current look, but I would want any change to be in the direction of the Gretzky look over anything with purple. The Kings are always forgettable when they wear purple. 

If only the Kings won one of their championships on the road.  This jersey is a nice contemporary update to the Gretzky era look and, by contrast, the home version looks empty.  From the piping masquerading as hem-stripes to the non-contrasting logo (Reversing the black and white would go a long way).

axTim3Y.pngQ2v8wOg.jpg

19 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Kings are always forgettable when they wear purple. 

See, this is what I don't get - why does it matter? Past results don't guarantee future performance; and besides, you're making it sound like wearing purple is why they were forgettable, and obviously it's not - I'll remind you that they were pretty forgotten in the late-90s as well, after Bruce McNall went to prison, the team went bankrupt and had to trade Gretzky & co., all of which happened while they were still wearing the black & silver. They're looking pretty forgettable right now and going forward as well, I'll point out. 

I do like the silver & black, but I also like the gold & purple Forum Blue and black, silver & purple as well; which I like most tends to change depending on my mood. Presently I'm really feeling the black, silver & purple set; I own one myself, and the deep purple they used and the way the crest & letters shine looks so good to me. It's a vastly underrated uniform IMO, overshadowed by its predecessors. 
WVyTsyN.jpg

The Kings are a team that's had some stupendous downturns with a pair of high points, both of which just happened to occur while they were basically copying the Raiders. That their Dork Ages have mostly been while purple was one of their team colours is coincidental. I won't mind if they keep the silver & black going forward - though, again, I'd prefer more silver myself, especially on the home - but if they do decide to keep purple off their uniforms in the future it should be because they don't think it's their strongest brand, not because they just happened to be lousy while wearing it.

14 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

I didn't think it looked good on the Edge templates with no hem colouring though.

Yeah, Edgification really sucked the life out of them, the way it did to just about everyone's uniforms.

Archived