ldconcepts

NHL 2018-19

Recommended Posts

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 5:01 PM, spartacat_12 said:

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I saw today that a movie is being made about the life of Terry Sawchuk. I got excited, because if there is one former player who's life could make a great movie, it's Sawchuk.

 

Unfortunately the trailer left me disappointed:

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L-cN9sSpo4

 

Pretty sad that a movie like The Love Guru gets the NHL license for logos/uniforms, but a movie about one of the greatest players of all time gets stuck with this in lieu of the classic Red Wings logo:

 

Terry%20Sawchuk%20goalie%20trailer_15494

 

This movie looks like it'll be hit-or-miss. Either it'll be a perfect, virtually unknown, critic-approved cult classic, or it'll be another total flop that tries too hard to be taken seriously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Zeus89725 said:

This movie looks like it'll be hit-or-miss. Either it'll be a perfect, virtually unknown, critic-approved cult classic, or it'll be another total flop that tries too hard to be taken seriously.

 

My guess is that it will be something like the Maurice Richard biopic "The Rocket" (although they were able to actually use the Habs logo). Better than most when it comes to Canadian-produced films. 

 

Obviously if the movie is good, general audiences won't think twice about the licensing, but to me (and I'm sure to a lot of people that frequent these boards), the inaccuracy will be distracting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So on today in things jersey/logo fans might only notice, the season finale of A Million Little Things features a scene set in 2011 and then it bait and switches into a scene from 2001.

 

This one character manages to have an Adidas/Fanatics Bruins jersey in 2011 and 2001, despite Adidas not taking over until 2017 and the Bruins not even wearing the style in 2001.

 

2011 scene

A-million-Little-things-1x17-season-fina

 

And then 2001

 

A-million-Little-things-1x17-season-fina

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

So on today in things jersey/logo fans might only notice, the season finale of A Million Little Things features a scene set in 2011 and then it bait and switches into a scene from 2001.

 

This one character manages to have an Adidas/Fanatics Bruins jersey in 2011 and 2001, despite Adidas not taking over until 2017 and the Bruins not even wearing the style in 2001.

 

2011 scene

A-million-Little-things-1x17-season-fina

 

And then 2001

 

A-million-Little-things-1x17-season-fina

I know they dont find this important so they don’t pay attention to things like that but god, those type of scenes always drive me NUTS!!! Nobody could’ve ordered a CCM replica on eBay or something? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, insert name said:

I know they dont find this important so they don’t pay attention to things like that but god, those type of scenes always drive me NUTS!!! Nobody could’ve ordered a CCM replica on eBay or something? 

 

Same here.

 

Came across something on twitter not too long ago one of those like murder mysteries or mob biopic or whatever shows that does cheesy re-enactments had something that was supposed to be set in the early 90s and the guy had an on Vikings Christian Ponder jersey, don't remember if it was teh 2011 reebok or 2012 Nike, but it either way it was bad and pissed me off and I wasn't even watching the show, Paul Lukas or someone just happened to retweet it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, insert name said:

I know they dont find this important so they don’t pay attention to things like that but god, those type of scenes always drive me NUTS!!! Nobody could’ve ordered a CCM replica on eBay or something? 

 

The real travesty is that this show is shot in Vancouver and they turned the Pacific Coliseum, the Canucks old home, into the Bruins' arena.  Talk about rubbing salt into an old wound.

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I think of Iginla, I remember his time during the Flames heyday out there on the ice with McDonald and Peplinski, squaring off against Gretzky and the Oilers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, M4One said:

 

The real travesty is that this show is shot in Vancouver and they turned the Pacific Coliseum, the Canucks old home, into the Bruins' arena.  Talk about rubbing salt into an old wound.

 

spacer.png

 

I would hardly call that rubbing salt into an old wound. It's for a TV show, it's not permanent, it's at a different rink, and no one is forcing anyone to know about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2019 at 4:31 PM, insert name said:

I know they dont find this important so they don’t pay attention to things like that but god, those type of scenes always drive me NUTS!!! Nobody could’ve ordered a CCM replica on eBay or something? 

 

I still recall some episode of That 70's Show where they are eating a bag of M&M's with the urrent packaging at the time (early 2000s)

Like is it really that hard to be time accurate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, monkeypower said:

When I think of Iginla, I remember his time during the Flames heyday out there on the ice with McDonald and Peplinski, squaring off against Gretzky and the Oilers.

 

D0s4fsgWsAAPOBB.jpg

 

(This is what I mean)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bayne said:

 

I would hardly call that rubbing salt into an old wound. It's for a TV show, it's not permanent, it's at a different rink, and no one is forcing anyone to know about it.

 

Can't a guy still be bitter about something that happened 8 years ago?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given the fact that Iginla only wore retro colours as a third jersey for a few years of his career, could that banner be a sign of the direction the Flames want to be taking their visual brand?

 

EDIT: I feel like the popularity of a possible white version for the Heritage Classic would seal the deal for 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ldconcepts said:

Given the fact that Iginla only wore retro colours as a third jersey for a few years of his career, could that banner be a sign of the direction the Flames want to be taking their visual brand?

 

EDIT: I feel like the popularity of a possible white version for the Heritage Classic would seal the deal for 2020.

I noticed during the tribute video that almost all of the moments shown were in the red throwback, so that's another thing that could be hinting at a promotion for the alts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m still amazed that Flames held out for as long as they did with the black C AND that the Edge template lasted through the Adidas rebrand.

 

Other 70s/80s teams mostly wear normal looking uniforms. Like Buffalo at least uses their classic template with new colours.

 

The Avs have shown Adidas can adapt to their 90s mountain design. Nothing stopping the Flames from using the pre-07 set.

 

And with the Caps’ Edge set, their identity is tied to the template and specifically to the Ovechkin era. What is the Flames’ current jersey attached to? Iginla’s decline? Making the playoffs 40% of the time?

 

The Flames actively thought all they needed to do was to lose the piping and straighten the numbers. I think the Canucks using a compromised identity and the Oilers wearing orange is less offensive than what the Flames continue to do.

 

I actually do like the black C and remain lukewarm on the 80s set but why we do have to continue looking at this side paneled, shoulder flag mess?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, M4One said:

Can't a guy still be bitter about something that happened 8 years ago?  


Well, considering at Iginla's ceremony fans chanted "it was in" about something that didn't actually happen 15 years ago...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NoE38 said:

I noticed during the tribute video that almost all of the moments shown were in the red throwback, so that's another thing that could be hinting at a promotion for the alts.

 

Is this the video with Lanny McDonald narrating because while there were bits of him in the throwback, there was just as many, if not more, in the red and black.  I wouldn't use a tribute video as a sign of things to come.  The banner being in the vintage colours, maybe.  They also swapped out Veron's and McDonald's to match Iginla's. 

 

I would keep the black.  It's been part of their colour scheme longer than it hasn't.  I consider their red, pre-edge jersey a modern day classic and this is coming from a Canucks fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Flames’ best was the pre-edge set. Once the red version came out that was it. Still a jersey I’d love to get and I haven’t gotten an out of town team in many years. 

 

The only thing I’d like to see outside of a return of those is something new. I made a concept that blended a couple eras and moved black to just an accent with white more predominant and can really see it working in real life. But regardless, not sure the throwbacks are the way to go for a primary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Canes to Wear Hartford Whalers Uniforms Tonight in Boston

March 5, 2019 - 17:48 PM

Psst. The Hartford Whalers return to New England tonight. Wrapping up their two-game return to the NHL, the Whalers uniforms live on to see one final day in 2019 as the Carolina Hurricanes take their green, white, and blue throwbacks on […]

Read More...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations to the NHL for keeping franchise continuity alive. I absolutely love seeing things like this, such as in the NFL when AFL's history was celebrated by the Titans and Chiefs wearing uniforms of the Houston Oilers and the Dallas Texans, respectively, and in the NBA when the Clippers wore Buffalo Braves uniforms. 

In Major League Baseball, the Orioles, Rangers, and Brewers have worn the uniforms of their former identities the St. Louis Browns, the Washington Senators, and the Seattle Pilots.  But the best analogue to this NHL Hartford thing would be if the Nationals wore Expos uniforms.  The Blue Jays play a preseason game in Montreal every year; the Nationals should be their opponents, dressed in Expos uniforms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.