NHL 2018-19

ldconcepts

It should only be done if there’s still a team in the market or if enough years have passed. Neither has been the case for Hartford/Carolina.

This is also why the Nationals should never be invited to the Blue Jays’ Spring Training games in Montréal and should never wear Expos throwbacks. It’s tossing a plentiful helping of sodium chloride on the still-open wounds.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

It should only be done if there’s still a team in the market or if enough years have passed. Neither has been the case for Hartford/Carolina.

??  It seems to me that both of these conditions of yours are met here.  The Whalers moved 22 years ago.  And all of New England counts as part of Boston's home area.

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

This is also why the Nationals should never be invited to the Blue Jays’ Spring Training games in Montréal and should never wear Expos throwbacks. It’s tossing a plentiful helping of sodium chloride on the still-open wounds.

If your previous comment elicited a "??", this one gets a "???".   Breaking out the Expos uniforms would be a tribute to the team, a kind of olive branch.  The Nationals' act of honouring of Andre Dawson and Rusty Staub Gary Carter at the stadium was a good start in that direction; a further appropriate move would be for the team to respect the Expos' retired numbers. 

With 2019 being the 50th anniversary of the franchise's founding, and with the recent passing of Frank Robinson, who spans both of the franchise's cities, this is the perfect moment to celebrate the entire history.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

This is still terrible.
Was when it was announced.
Was when they did it earlier.
Will be when they do this tonight.

The Whalers are popular? then move the team back to Hartford.
Otherwise? Leave the name, logo, and jersey alone.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

1 minute ago, Ark said:

Why do the traditionalists get so mad at this?

Great gesture/marketing move and even better uniforms.

When the majority of folks this "great gesture" is supposedly "honoring" are cursing it up and down and super pissed about it, i don't think it qualifies as a "great gesture"... 

It's like saying "The 'Redskins' name honors native americans".... does it? Hmmm... many people don't think so...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

On 3/3/2019 at 5:04 PM, B-mer said:

The Flames’ best was the pre-edge set. Once the red version came out that was it. Still a jersey I’d love to get and I haven’t gotten an out of town team in many years. 

The only thing I’d like to see outside of a return of those is something new. I made a concept that blended a couple eras and moved black to just an accent with white more predominant and can really see it working in real life. But regardless, not sure the throwbacks are the way to go for a primary. 

I like that a lot, but I’d make black the prominent secondary colour on the red home jersey. I think the black C is more iconic for Flames’ fans, plus it looks cool.

26 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

??  It seems to me that both of these conditions of yours are met here.  The Whalers moved 22 years ago.  And all of New England counts as part of Boston's home area.

For some, “out of living memory” would be the qualifier. Also, how many Whalers fans really embraced the Bruins?

This has just struck me as a shallow cash grab designed to bank off of the popularity of retro merchandise (after the NHL was finally allowed to produce Whalers merch). The Canes wouldn’t be doing it if they were actually a popular team. 

If your previous comment elicited a "??", this one gets a "???".   Breaking out the Expos uniforms would be a tribute to the team, a kind of olive branch.  The Nationals' act of honouring of Andre Dawson and Rusty Staub at the stadium was a good start in that direction; a further appropriate move would be for the team to respect the Expos' retired numbers. 

You say olive branch, I say middle finger. The Nats’ existence is dependent on MLB actively sabotaging the Montréal market during the Loria and post-Loria conservatorship of the team. Parading around in Expos throwbacks is a way of saying: “Ha ha, we have a team because you don’t! We stole Nos Amours and you’re not getting them back!” 

Also, while the Nationals did honor Gary Carter (not Staub) and Andre Dawson at Nationals Park, they haven’t retired their numbers. The team did nothing for Raines, Pedro Martinez, and Guerrero’s Hall of Fame inductions, and I don’t see that changing soon. Most of the Nationals fans I’ve encounter get downright agitated when you suggest that the team should do more to acknowledge the Expos. I assume the reverse is true in Montréal.

With 2019 being the 50th anniversary of the franchise's founding, and with the recent passing of Frank Robinson, who spans both of the franchise's cities, this is the perfect moment to celebrate the entire history.

There will only be one perfect moment, which is when a replacement team arrives in Montréal.

Also, the Whalers are throwing back to the wrong uniform. This is a much better look.

spacer.png

I'm not even a fan of throwbacks of your own team, so I dislike throwbacks for a team who doesn't even exist and never played where you now play.

You are the Carolina Hurricanes and you play in red, white and black. Stick to that. Build a legacy around that identity and create something awesome. None of this faux-nostalgia, retro, remeber-the-days, hey-look-we're-wearing-those-cool-whalers-jerseys-now, bright-green-when-really-we-should-be-red BS.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Red Wings Honour Ted Lindsay With #7 Patch

March 7, 2019 - 15:37 PM

The Detroit Red Wings are honouring the life of former captain Ted Lindsay with a memorial patch on their jersey for the remainder of the 2018-19 season. The patch follows the Red Wings typical memorial patch style used recently for […]

Read More...

Archived