ldconcepts

NHL 2018-19

Recommended Posts

It should only be done if there’s still a team in the market or if enough years have passed. Neither has been the case for Hartford/Carolina.

 

This is also why the Nationals should never be invited to the Blue Jays’ Spring Training games in Montréal and should never wear Expos throwbacks. It’s tossing a plentiful helping of sodium chloride on the still-open wounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

It should only be done if there’s still a team in the market or if enough years have passed. Neither has been the case for Hartford/Carolina.

 

??  It seems to me that both of these conditions of yours are met here.  The Whalers moved 22 years ago.  And all of New England counts as part of Boston's home area.

 

 

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

This is also why the Nationals should never be invited to the Blue Jays’ Spring Training games in Montréal and should never wear Expos throwbacks. It’s tossing a plentiful helping of sodium chloride on the still-open wounds.


If your previous comment elicited a "??", this one gets a "???".   Breaking out the Expos uniforms would be a tribute to the team, a kind of olive branch.  The Nationals' act of honouring of Andre Dawson and Rusty Staub Gary Carter at the stadium was a good start in that direction; a further appropriate move would be for the team to respect the Expos' retired numbers. 

With 2019 being the 50th anniversary of the franchise's founding, and with the recent passing of Frank Robinson, who spans both of the franchise's cities, this is the perfect moment to celebrate the entire history.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is still terrible.
Was when it was announced.
Was when they did it earlier.
Will be when they do this tonight.

The Whalers are popular? then move the team back to Hartford.
Otherwise? Leave the name, logo, and jersey alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do the traditionalists get so mad at this?

 

Great gesture/marketing move and even better uniforms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ark said:

Why do the traditionalists get so mad at this?

 

Great gesture/marketing move and even better uniforms.


When the majority of folks this "great gesture" is supposedly "honoring" are cursing it up and down and super pissed about it, i don't think it qualifies as a "great gesture"... 

It's like saying "The 'Redskins' name honors native americans".... does it? Hmmm... many people don't think so...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2019 at 5:04 PM, B-mer said:

The Flames’ best was the pre-edge set. Once the red version came out that was it. Still a jersey I’d love to get and I haven’t gotten an out of town team in many years. 

 

The only thing I’d like to see outside of a return of those is something new. I made a concept that blended a couple eras and moved black to just an accent with white more predominant and can really see it working in real life. But regardless, not sure the throwbacks are the way to go for a primary. 

I like that a lot, but I’d make black the prominent secondary colour on the red home jersey. I think the black C is more iconic for Flames’ fans, plus it looks cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

 

??  It seems to me that both of these conditions of yours are met here.  The Whalers moved 22 years ago.  And all of New England counts as part of Boston's home area.

 

 

For some, “out of living memory” would be the qualifier. Also, how many Whalers fans really embraced the Bruins?

 

This has just struck me as a shallow cash grab designed to bank off of the popularity of retro merchandise (after the NHL was finally allowed to produce Whalers merch). The Canes wouldn’t be doing it if they were actually a popular team. 

 

26 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:


If your previous comment elicited a "??", this one gets a "???".   Breaking out the Expos uniforms would be a tribute to the team, a kind of olive branch.  The Nationals' act of honouring of Andre Dawson and Rusty Staub at the stadium was a good start in that direction; a further appropriate move would be for the team to respect the Expos' retired numbers. 

 

You say olive branch, I say middle finger. The Nats’ existence is dependent on MLB actively sabotaging the Montréal market during the Loria and post-Loria conservatorship of the team. Parading around in Expos throwbacks is a way of saying: “Ha ha, we have a team because you don’t! We stole Nos Amours and you’re not getting them back!” 

 

Also, while the Nationals did honor Gary Carter (not Staub) and Andre Dawson at Nationals Park, they haven’t retired their numbers. The team did nothing for Raines, Pedro Martinez, and Guerrero’s Hall of Fame inductions, and I don’t see that changing soon. Most of the Nationals fans I’ve encounter get downright agitated when you suggest that the team should do more to acknowledge the Expos. I assume the reverse is true in Montréal.

 

26 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:


With 2019 being the 50th anniversary of the franchise's founding, and with the recent passing of Frank Robinson, who spans both of the franchise's cities, this is the perfect moment to celebrate the entire history.

 

 

There will only be one perfect moment, which is when a replacement team arrives in Montréal.

 

Also, the Whalers are throwing back to the wrong uniform. This is a much better look.

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

 

Also, the Whalers are throwing back to the wrong uniform. This is a much better look.

 

spacer.png

 

No.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

And all of New England counts as part of Boston's home area.

 

Well, with the exception of Fairfield County, Connecticut... aka "The Sixth Borough". 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No photo description available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JQK said:

No photo description available.

But the Hurricanes have been one of the hottest teams since the new year and are in the middle of a 5 game winning streak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not even a fan of throwbacks of your own team, so I dislike throwbacks for a team who doesn't even exist and never played where you now play.

 

You are the Carolina Hurricanes and you play in red, white and black. Stick to that. Build a legacy around that identity and create something awesome. None of this faux-nostalgia, retro, remeber-the-days, hey-look-we're-wearing-those-cool-whalers-jerseys-now, bright-green-when-really-we-should-be-red BS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the Whalers jerseys, but it's a bit odd to dress up in an identity the franchise choose to kill when it moved. Just seems like a money grab. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe they should become the Carolina Whalers

 

On2zucZ.png

 

Just make the C better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

Maybe they could remember the real “good times” of the franchise.

 

spacer.png

It's easy to forget that the Carolina Hurricanes reached the Cup Final TWICE. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, B-mer said:

wow.  i did actually forget they made it in 2002.  

 

How could you forget Arturs Irbe?

 

IrbeHurricansSCF.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2019 at 1:08 PM, JQK said:

No photo description available.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.