NHL 2018-19

ldconcepts

Logopinion: Detroit Red Wings Memorial Patches

March 7, 2019 - 20:03 PM

When the Detroit Red Wings take to the ice at Little Caesars Arena tonight, hosting the New York Rangers, it won’t just be a matchup between two classic Original Six rivals.  It will be Detroit’s first home game since the […]

Read More...

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree with the author. The Red Wings logo patches have been understated, simple, and in the Wings classic red and white. It's exactly what a traditional organization should do with its memorial patches.

I honestly have never had a problem with the Hurricanes look. Apart from their 3rd jerseys which I have never liked all that much, especially their latest effort. I've never understood the criticism that you can't tell it's a puck in the middle and that the perspective is weird. You're looking up at it, on an angle. It's a Hurricane. It would be in the air. It makes total sense. I like it.

The logo works well. Sure it's maybe a little bit generic I suppose, but it looks strong and sits well on a jersey. The supporting warning flag pattern is fantastic to go with it. That's all you need. To me that's a solid identity that has nothing wrong with it. I'd put the Hurricane logo around 20th in the league. Far from the weakest logo out there.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

3 hours ago, Bayne said:

The logo works well. Sure it's maybe a little bit generic I suppose, but it looks strong and sits well on a jersey. The supporting warning flag pattern is fantastic to go with it. That's all you need. To me that's a solid identity that has nothing wrong with it. I'd put the Hurricane logo around 20th in the league. Far from the weakest logo out there.

They should have never changed their 1997-to-2007 look, though the current home is certainly close enough.  Hopefully the new road is just a white version and they don't try anything cute.

12 hours ago, Morgo said:

They should have never changed their 1997-to-2007 look, though the current home is certainly close enough.  Hopefully the new road is just a white version and they don't try anything cute.

The thing is, the only thing distinguishing the white from the red is the warning flag pattern. Other than that, it IS the white version. If Dundon “hates” the road jersey, it seems like a detail practically invisible from far away isn’t enough to fix it. I’m excited to see what they can come up with, but I have a bad feeling they’ll throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

58 minutes ago, ldconcepts said:

The thing is, the only thing distinguishing the white from the red is the warning flag pattern. Other than that, it IS the white version. If Dundon “hates” the road jersey, it seems like a detail practically invisible from far away isn’t enough to fix it. I’m excited to see what they can come up with, but I have a bad feeling they’ll throw the baby out with the bathwater.

They're "similar" in a sense I guess, but it's definitely not a white version of the home. The Hurricanes owner at the time, IIRC, said as much when they were unveiled.

cut-2.jpg

1085730678.jpeg&c=sc&w=850&h=560

IbjBaeE.png

17 hours ago, Bayne said:

I honestly have never had a problem with the Hurricanes look. Apart from their 3rd jerseys which I have never liked all that much, especially their latest effort. I've never understood the criticism that you can't tell it's a puck in the middle and that the perspective is weird. You're looking up at it, on an angle. It's a Hurricane. It would be in the air. It makes total sense. I like it.

Seeing a puck from below is rare. Seeing a hurricane from below is impossible. You can be *in* the storm, at ground level, and maybe see the edge of the eyewall, but the only way to view a hurricane and see the form is from above, at satellite (or maybe aircraft) level.

The way the puck is colored also makes it look like a tuna roll. 🤷‍♂️

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

2 hours ago, monkeypower said:

They're "similar" in a sense I guess, but it's definitely not a white version of the home. The Hurricanes owner at the time, IIRC, said as much when they were unveiled.

cut-2.jpg

1085730678.jpeg&c=sc&w=850&h=560

What would a white version look like? I can see that there’s no black cuffs or hems, but IMO that’s necessary to maintain colour balance.

I’d say this concept by @B-mer is more faithful to the home jersey, but disrupts the colour hierarchy too much.

595276e76216f_HurricanesAdidas2.png.7e8f

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

22 minutes ago, ldconcepts said:

What would a white version look like? I can see that there’s no black cuffs or hems, but IMO that’s necessary to maintain colour balance.

I’d say this concept by @B-mer is more faithful to the home jersey, but disrupts the colour hierarchy too much.

I think the black and red could be flipped on the white, à la the Flames.

IbjBaeE.png

23 hours ago, msu said:

I disagree with the author. The Red Wings logo patches have been understated, simple, and in the Wings classic red and white. It's exactly what a traditional organization should do with its memorial patches.

The only other thing I might do is make the outline black instead of white. But I like how understated it is, just like when the Yankees place the number above the black armband.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The 9 and 7 patches are fine but boring. I do like Clark’s idea of using the “diamond C” from the old sweater... it’s just as simple and it shows more thought than the number-in-box, which is the whole point of the memorial patch - to show you’re thinking and remembering the player and their family.

However, that “Mr. I” patch is an embarrassment. I’d rather have the Little Caeser’s mascot in a Wings sweater reclining on top of four Stanley Cups while having grapes dipped into his mouth off the vine. At least that would have shown some thought and intention.

On 3/7/2019 at 11:14 PM, Bayne said:

I've never understood the criticism that you can't tell it's a puck in the middle and that the perspective is weird.

Didn't think it looked much like a puck myself (although I can see how it was either designed as one or could be seen that way), but I always interpreted it as the eye of the storm.

Either way, the Canes logo is fine.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

6 hours ago, ldconcepts said:

I see nothing wrong with this, especially with the return of the shoulder patches.  Getting rid of them was a particularly boneheaded decision.

2 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

Didn't think it looked much like a puck myself (although I can see how it was either designed as one or could be seen that way), but I always interpreted it as the eye of the storm.

Because elements in a logo can never have double meanings...

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

The funny thing is if you look at my concept next to their original jerseys they are very close and the color balance isn’t all that different.  I don’t recall many complaints about it on the originals. 

The red numbers, letters, pants, and gloves help well enough I think. 

11 hours ago, ldconcepts said:

The shoulder patch will be their new alternate jersey logo most likely, even though I like this as a patch a lot more. By the way, nice concept B-mer! 

Islanders Wear WAT Patches for Former GM Bill Torrey

March 10, 2019 - 02:26 AM

The New York Islanders are paying tribute to former general manager William A. Torrey this Saturday night by way of two jersey patches. The patch matches the same design used as their patch honouring former team owner Charles B. Wang […]

Read More...

Retro Stinger Logo Returns on New Blue Jackets Goalie Mask

March 11, 2019 - 15:43 PM

Hey kids, remember “Stinger”? No, not the mascot, the logo. When the Columbus Blue Jackets first announced their name in 1998, two years prior to their inaugural season in the NHL, the team also unveiled a logo. This logo featured a yellowjacket wearing a union […]

Read More...

Archived