ldconcepts

NHL 2018-19

I really don't like to see these goalies freestyling on their masks. The goalie's helmet and mask should be standard, just like every other player's helmet.

14 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I really don't like to see these goalies freestyling on their masks. The goalie's helmet and mask should be standard, just like every other player's helmet.

spacer.png

7 minutes ago, Survival79 said:

spacer.png

Totally serious.

In football the quarterback doesn't get to design his own helmet.  No one on a baseball team gets to wear his own style cap or helmet (even though Joe Mauer recently stretched the point).  

Everybody on a hockey team should wear the same colour helmet.

45 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Totally serious.

In football the quarterback doesn't get to design his own helmet.  No one on a baseball team gets to wear his own style cap or helmet (even though Joe Mauer recently stretched the point).  

You know this has been going on for almost as long as goaltenders have been wearing masks? A quarterback doesn't wear equipment that separates him from his teammates and in football a player wearing a different article of clothing would actually be a detriment, especially for offensive players where you don't want to make it any easier for the defense to key in on a specific player. In baseball several catchers have actually taken to decorating their hockey style masks. Though nobody's really gone to the lengths of hockey goaltenders, it has happened. They're also wearing decorated equipment, but when they're at the plate and look like everyone else they wear the standard equipment. Joe Maurer didn't wear his custom helmet when he wasn't in his catcher's gear. 

All of the skaters who need to appear uniform do wear the same helmet while the goaltender is the only player on the team wearing large pads, a glove, and a mask and stationed in his one spot on the ice so he's naturally going to appear different from his teammates. I see no reason why his headgear needs to match the rest of his team's when so much else about his equipment and the position is so visually and technically different than the sport his teammates play around him. 

I like Kinkaid's mask design. I hope he actually gets to wear it in a game. I'm pretty sure he's not the first guy to use Stinger on a mask since the team stopped using that logo full-time, but I'll have to check. 

32 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Totally serious.

In soccer, goalies wear an entire different color uniform to distinguish themselves from the rest of the team. In Volleyball, the libero(specialized defensive player) must wear a contrasting jersey color from his or her teammates. 

Different sports have different standards for uniforms and equipment. Hockey's custom goalie helmets are great!

To be fair, “because it’s always been done that way” and “other people do it, too” are two of the weakest arguments one can make in support of something.

On this particular issue, I’m split. I appreciate the fun and the creative side of the practice (though it has led to a few instances of artwork being stolen), but I also understand that it kind of puts the goaltender even more out on an island than he or she already is, and I think it’s completely valid to want the goaltender to wear equipment decorated like his/her teammates’ gear. I also like the look of the plain helmet. It looks professional, like the goalkeeper is there to do a job. 🙂 I remember several seasons ago the Flames’ goaltender wore a plain black mask and it looked so much tougher than the boardwalk airbrush style many goaltenders gravitate toward.

35 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

To be fair, “because it’s always been done that way” and “other people do it, too” are two of the weakest arguments one can make in support of something.

On this particular issue, I’m split. I appreciate the fun and the creative side of the practice (though it has led to a few instances of artwork being stolen), but I also understand that it kind of puts the goaltender even more out on an island than he or she already is, and I think it’s completely valid to want the goaltender to wear equipment decorated like his/her teammates’ gear. I also like the look of the plain helmet. It looks professional, like the goalkeeper is there to do a job. 🙂 I remember several seasons ago the Flames’ goaltender wore a plain black mask and it looked so much tougher than the boardwalk airbrush style many goaltenders gravitate toward.

I would like to see a goalie mask that has a neck protector with a smart tie painted on it. That would look professional as :censored:. Maybe make the blocker function as a clipboard and have goalies keep stats while the puck is on the other side of the ice.

Maybe “because it’s always been done that way” and “other people do it, too” are weak arguments, but I would say that defining what looks professional can be based on those two same elements. Why does a suit and tie look professional? "because, generally, businesspeople have always dressed that way."

I think many would say that a suit and tie looks "more professional" than a pair of jeans and a t shirt, but if an office dress code is casual, that doesn't make the guy in cargo shorts' sartorial choices any less valid than the gentleman in the sport coat. I say the same applies to hockey, the league has always allowed for custom painted goalie helmets and the historical precedent of that is a valid metric as to what looks professional.

20 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Sorry, I can’t agree with any of this. 

As someone who has been a goalie? You very much ARE out there on an island. It’s a very lonely position, and it attracts a unique sort of person. I don’t wanna say “loner” but kind of? Hell, even most locker rooms will separate goalie benches from everyone else. 

Offensive players work as a three-man operation and defensive players work as tandem. You though? You’re on your own. You’re often credited with the victory or you’re the reason you lost. It’s a position of self-imposed isolation. 

Hockey is a team game but the goalie is always...a bit apart. They’ve got different drills in practice, play separately, they are somewhat separated in the locker room, and the only other teammate they have any sense of solidarity with in terms of going through the same stuff? They do the same thing and they don’t even get to play together. If one guy’s out? The other guy’s on the bench. And if they’re on the bench? They’re separated from the rest of the team, to the side, rarely if ever taking part in bench banter. 

And that’s why you see goalie masks designed like they are. Isolation is part of the culture of being a goalie and that leads to an individualistic streak that is, perhaps paradoxically, an essential part of the team game. 

So because of that, and not “just because other people do it,” you’ll never get rid of customized masks. They’re an engrained part of goaltender culture and a sign of individualism in a position that quite frankly earns it. 

NOW 

If you want to criticize the recent-ish trend of moving away from clear and cool bold designs in favour of airbrushed designs that look dorky? Then that’s a conversation worth having. That boils down to aesthetic preference, however.

If your solution to deal with the air brushed fad is “no more custom masks” then I’m afraid you’ve both overreacted and fundamentally misjudged the position of goaltender and the people to opt to play it. 

9 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

As someone who has been a goalie? You very much ARE out there on an island. It’s a very lonely position, and it attracts a unique sort of person. I don’t wanna say “loner” but kind of? Hell, even most locker rooms will separate goalie benches from everyone else. 

Offensive players work as a three-man operation and defensive players work as tandem. You though? You’re on your own. You’re often credited with the victory or you’re the reason you lost. It’s a position of self-imposed isolation. 

Hockey is a team game but the goalie is always...a bit apart. They’ve got different drills in practice, play separately, they are somewhat separated in the locker room, and the only other teammate they have any sense of solidarity with in terms of going through the same stuff? They do the same thing and they don’t even get to play together. If one guy’s out? The other guy’s on the bench. And if they’re on the bench? They’re separated from the rest of the team, to the side, rarely if ever taking part in bench banter. 

And that’s why you see goalie masks designed like they are. Isolation is part of the culture of being a goalie and that leads to an individualistic streak that is, perhaps paradoxically, an essential part of the team game. 

So because of that, and not “just because other people do it,” you’ll never get rid of customized masks. They’re an engrained part of goaltender culture and a sign of individualism in a position that quite frankly earns it. 

NOW 

If you want to criticize the recent-ish trend of moving away from clear and cool bold designs in favour of airbrushed designs that look dorky? Then that’s a conversation worth having. That boils down to aesthetic preference, however.

If your solution to deal with the air brushed fad is “no more custom masks” then I’m afraid you’ve both overreacted and fundamentally misjudged the position of goaltender and the people to opt to play it. 

I think that’s valid. Again, there are points on both sides of the argument that are valid, and that’s why I’m split on it. As an outsider to the situation, neither option is better or worse in my eyes, so I’d defer to letting the players do what they want. If it were to be standardized, I’d probably opt for sock stripe designs on the pads and a team decal on the helmet, maybe a bit larger than the ones the skaters wear because there’s more real estate on a goaltending helmet.

I do, however, think a suit looks professional for reasons other than “it’s always been done that way,” but I also think there are many ways to look professional without wearing a suit, and conversely, there are many ways to wear a suit and look like garbage. It’s much more about the aesthetics than the conventions for me.

1 hour ago, aild87 said:

In soccer, goalies wear an entire different color uniform to distinguish themselves from the rest of the team. In Volleyball, the libero(specialized defensive player) must wear a contrasting jersey color from his or her teammates. 

Those occur for good reasons, namely, so that the officials can easily identify the differently-dressed player..

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

In baseball several catchers have actually taken to decorating their hockey style masks. 

Also not good.  This should not be allowed.

34 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Every point that you made there applies to the quarterback in football.  The sport even has rules that apply only to the quarterback.  Yet not even the quarterback, who is inarguably the most important person on the team, is allowed to wear a custom-designed helmet.

34 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Egad, man.  No one has impugned the valour of goaltenders. 

But there is no good reason that they need to look different from the rest of the players on the team; in this respect a hockey goaltender is not analogous to the goalkeeper in soccer.  To say that every player's helmet should look the same, just as every player's sweater looks the same, should not be treated as some sort of radical position.

I like painted masks that tie into the city or the team name more than the goalie's favorite show or music or what not.

Blank masks just look rec league...even when Hasek wore his plain mask, it just looked cheap. 

I don't need the goalie looking like everyone else...he's completely different than the other players. There is no good reason as to why a goalie can't paint his mask if he wants. 

Not even in baseball does everyone "look exactly the same" (which has a weird heavy-handed-clone-army-overtone to it). Baseball players wear socks or armbands or protection or gloves that show a personal preference. 

25 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Those occur for good reasons, namely, so that the officials can easily identify the differently-dressed player..

Every point that you made there applies to the quarterback in football.  The sport even has rules that apply only to the quarterback.  Yet not even the quarterback, who is inarguably the most important person on the team, is allowed to wear a custom-designed helmet.

Egad, man.  No one has impugned the valour of goaltenders. 

But there is no good reason that they need to look different from the rest of the players on the team; in this respect a hockey goaltender is not analogous to the goalkeeper in soccer.  To say that every player's helmet should look the same, just as every player's sweater looks the same, should not be treated as some sort of radical position.

A fair point on the officials needing to identify the players.

As a general question and not a gotcha! moment; Would you extend your position on the helmet looking the same to the goalie's leg pads? as the leg pads cover the majority of the leg, the striping pattern on the socks is obscured from most angles. Would you be in favor of a requirement for leg pads to be decorated with the same striping motif present on the socks to better match the rest of the team?

I personally think that it could be a great look.

Or, since the leg pads are a unique piece of equipment to the goalie, and not a shared one like the helmet (albeit a completely different style), are they an exemption? 

I could see the argument that leg pads are akin to gloves or skates, in that they won't ever perfectly match since different manufacturers will have different design elements and colorations available to players, but I think they also could warrant additional consideration since they do cover more of the uniform than a glove or skate ever would.

In baseball several catchers have actually taken to decorating their hockey style masks

27 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I believe MLB barred this modification a few years ago, so catchters pretty much wear standard color masks.

As for my opinion on goalies, who cares?  This isnt the military.  

13 minutes ago, aild87 said:

As a general question and not a gotcha! moment; Would you extend your position on the helmet looking the same to the goalie's leg pads? as the leg pads cover the majority of the leg, the striping pattern on the socks is obscured from most angles. Would you be in favor of a requirement for leg pads to be decorated with the same striping motif present on the socks to better match the rest of the team?

Or, since the leg pads are a unique piece of equipment to the goalie, and not a shared one like the helmet (albeit a completely different style), are they an exemption? 

I could see the argument that leg pads are akin to gloves or skates, in that they won't ever match since different manufacturers will have different design elements and colorations available to players, but I think they also could warrant additional consideration since they do cover more of the uniform than a glove or skate ever would.

Tim Thomas did that with the Panthers and Stars

Tim+Thomas+Dallas+Stars+v+Phoenix+Coyote

and I don't think he had a separate green pair so for home games he was mismatched from the team

Tim+Thomas+Columbus+Blue+Jackets+v+Dalla

I thought it looked silly, like the leg pad equivalent of Brett's hair helmet

e2616de3b72cbd06e2adc8075a258782.jpg

It looked especially goofy when he was first traded and still using his Panthers gear. 

cropped_USPW_183776.jpg?ts=1395181073

8 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

and I don't think he had a separate green pair so for home games he was mismatched from the team

Tim+Thomas+Columbus+Blue+Jackets+v+Dalla

I thought it looked silly, like the leg pad equivalent of Brett's hair helmet

e2616de3b72cbd06e2adc8075a258782.jpg

I do agree that looks a bit goofy, I think the top portion matching his pants is what throws it off for me. If that was taken away, the striping was brought up higher, and made a little bigger to better fit the proportions of the pad, it would be an improvement. I gotta say I love that hair helmet though, can't help but laugh even thinking about it.

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

NOW 

Hockey is the most fun sport we've ever invented - where the participants get to fly, shoot, and hit. And you weirdos have chosen to forego all of that so you can stand in one place, wear the heaviest and most expensive equipment, get hit with shots, and shoulder most of the responsibility and blame. I'm 100% okay with goalies getting to design their masks to appear differently from the rest of the team. It never occurred to me that someone would be against the practice. 

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

If it were to be standardized, I’d probably opt for... a team decal on the helmet, maybe a bit larger than the ones the skaters wear because there’s more real estate on a goaltending helmet.

It would totally end up looking like this...

spacer.png

😭

1 hour ago, aild87 said:

That is a tremendous idea!  New rule: all goalies have to do this!  It makes the players look even more uniform.

And this guy gets extra points for wearing a solid black helmet, just like the rest of his teammates.  This is my new hero.  He is the hockey equivalent of a baseball player who wears stirrups.  Well done, sir!

29 minutes ago, Survival79 said:
1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

f it were to be standardized, I’d probably opt for... a team decal on the helmet, maybe a bit larger than the ones the skaters wear because there’s more real estate on a goaltending helmet.

It would totally end up looking like this...

spacer.png

I would prefer a logo the size of the logos on MLL helmets.

new-york-lizards-paul-rabil-pretty-instant.jpg

14 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

That is a tremendous idea!  New rule: all goalies have to do this!  It makes the players look even more uniform.

And this guy gets extra points for wearing a solid black helmet, just like the rest of his teammates.  This is my new hero.  He is the hockey equivalent of a baseball player who wears stirrups.  Well done, sir!

The rest of his teammates wore white helmets in that game.