NHL 2018-19

ldconcepts

8 hours ago, Morgo said:

Could this mean a white version is on the way?  I hope not.

For the Hurricanes? I think it's all but confirmed. Dundon was trying to get them wearing red on the road this year when he could, because he hates the whites so much.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/5/2019 at 4:41 PM, Scratcher said:

According to the Daily Hive,

Canucks will be making changes to their home and away jerseys, will have a new 3rd jersey, and will also bring back the spaghetti-skate black jersey for next season (this one is not new, since it won a survey previously)

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-jersey-changes-2019

Bit late to the party on this one

With the 2018-19 regular season finished, I thought it would be good to have a playoff uniform discussion. Here is what the first round is going to look like in the West:

Calgary vs. Colorado

spacer.png

Since we haven't seen the Flames' throwback 3rd against the Avs' current white, we'll have to use our imagination for the games in Calgary.

San Jose Sharks vs. Vegas Golden Knights

spacer.png 

spacer.png

Nashville Predators vs. Dallas Stars

spacer.png

spacer.png

Winnipeg Jets vs. St. Louis Blues

spacer.png

spacer.png

Here are the East matchups:

Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Columbus Blue Jackets

spacer.png

spacer.png

Boston Bruins vs. Toronto Maple Leafs

spacer.png

spacer.png

Washington Capitals vs. Carolina Hurricanes

spacer.png

spacer.png

Pittsburgh Penguins vs. New York Islanders

spacer.png

spacer.png

Anytime there's an all-Original 6 matchup, it's pretty safe to say it'll be the best looking one, but I'm also a big fan of Nashville-Dallas, and Pittsburgh-NYI.

Some dream Finals matchups, aesthetically speaking, would include one of Dallas, Vegas, or St. Louis from the West, and one of Boston, Toronto, or New York from the East.

Sharks’ teal vs. Knights’ white is really, really nice. Stars/Predators, Leafs/Bruins, and Islanders/Penguins look great as well. 

As far as the Cup Final aesthetically, Stars/Islanders is one I’d love to see. Oilers/Stars looked fantastic when Edmonton was in royal blue, and I think the Islanders in similar colors will look just as great filling in on that one. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I thought I'd rank all the match-ups from worst to best...

08) Washington Capitals vs Carolina Hurricanes
Carolina took an already mismatched set and made it worse by going with their laughably bad alternate.  Capitals jerseys are passable at best in spite of a championship title.

07) Calgary Flames vs Colorado Avalanche
If the Flames used the retros full-time, this would be ranked much higher.  Both home jerseys are significantly superior to their road counterparts so we never see both teams in their best look together.

06) Tampa Bay Lightning vs Columbus Blue Jackets

Two of the most boring sets in the league square off.  I will never like Tampa's maple-leaf-knockoffs nor will I ever appreciate Columbus' overused colour scheme and razor-thin piping.

05 San Jose Sharks vs Vegas Golden Knights

Seeing it last year knocks off a bit of luster but it's still a solid match-up.

04 Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs
I don't think this one takes the top spot simply for being an original six match-up but there's nothing to fault here.  Two classic designs that compliment each-other well.

03 New York Islanders vs Pittsburgh Penguins

Looks every bit as classy and aesthetically pleasing as the original six match-up but gets points for not being seen since the early 90's.

02 Winnipeg Jets vs St Louis Blues
Two modern classics face off in a match-up we've yet to see in the playoffs.  It's perfection really.

01 Nashville Predators vs Dallas Stars
This one is just too unique to not take the top spot.  When have we ever seen a predominantly yellow team face off against a predominantly green one.  The only way this gets better is if they went colour vs colour.

Winnipeg should be in white at home and away, whether it's the road white or the throwback. Do we know that they're not going to wear their dopey medium-blue alternate?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, Morgo said:

03 New York Islanders vs Pittsburgh Penguins

Looks every bit as good as the original six match-up but gets points for not being seen since the early 90's.

(Except they played in 2013. Unless you meant the jersey match-up specifically, then yes.)

Most of these are fine, really. We've got traditional enough striping on everybody except Calgary road, Colorado, Columbus, Washington and Carolina home, and Colorado and Columbus are good and simple in their own ways.

Honestly, the only travesty of this playoffs is Carolina going with the black alternate. Like, why? Because you know you're only going to be here for a short time and you wanna sell some extra sweaters? It's objectively their worst jersey and in the bottom tier of the league as a whole. It's your first playoff berth in forever, and you're trotting out in that?

So, I looked it up, and Carolina was 11-2-2 when wearing the jersey. I can only imagine that's the reason the players would choose it (assuming it was the player's choice and not for selling sweaters). Still, I've always been of the opinion that you choose your best look in the playoffs. You could potentially be headed for glory. You don't want to do it in some clown suit.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I think the NSH-DAL series is rated a little too high by people here... Nashville on the road is awful. I think the games in Nashville will look the best, despite IMO the Stars best jersey being their home. 

My rankings

8. Carolina vs. Washington 

Carolina’s road is pretty weak compared to their home, (although not as bad as their owner makes it out to be) and unfortunately, the Canes have decided to wear their black uniforms. (Hopefully the Canes will have some bad luck in the black, and then decide to change to red.) Washington’s are dated and haven’t translated too well to the Adizero template. But with the Cup last year, they’ll be here a while. 

7. Colorado vs. Calgary

The home team will always be the better looking team... While the current Calgary set, minus the throwback is a hot mess, the Avs road just needs a little more blue. A blue mountain outline, like the original set would be better. And this probably would be the best if Calgary would have been wearing either their 80's white, or their white from their last cup run. 

6. Columbus vs. Tampa Bay

I do really like Columbus's road look. It's fantastic! But the home counterpart isn't great. Add the boring blue-and-white Lightning, and it's a mediocre match up...

5. Dallas vs. Nashville

These two different shades are very stunning a vivid, however, the Preds road sweater brings this down. Like above, the games in NSH will be better.

4. San Jose vs. Vegas

This would be the best, if the games were all played in San Jose. The colors all just pop there. Less so in Vegas. The Sharks road needs some more teal, and Vegas's home is a little dark. 

3. Toronto vs. Boston

Another really solid match up, but one that needs a few tweaks. Bad collars bring the Leafs down, while the lack of yellow socks at home make the Bruins not look like the Bruins... You still can't go wrong with an Original 6 match-up.

2. New York vs. Pittsburgh

This would be number one if it weren't for the bad collars on both teams. The Islanders have one of the worst collars in the league, (second only to Buffalo), and Pittsburgh ain't so hot either. The colors are great however, no matter where the games are played. The royal blue and orange vs the black and Pittsburgh gold will be a great look. And this should be an exciting series as well. 

1. St. Louis vs. Winnipeg

The best match-up is the one with the least amount of problems. The Blues have great looks both home and away, with the road being one of my favorites in the league. While the Jets home is also one of the best in the league. The weird collar patch for the Jets brings them down, but the rest of the look is spot on. The Blues look great, even with white numbers at home...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Archived