ldconcepts

NHL 2018-19

5 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

[citation needed]

WG01_1024x1024.JPG?v=1511560116 

1. (Gretzky, Wayne. The Edmonton Oilers, 198iunno.)

hqdefault.jpg 

2. (Messier, Mark. Apparently The Only Hockey Game That Ever Happened, 1994 yes that's right 1994 one more time for the people in the back 1994.) 

20 minutes ago, the admiral said:

1. (Gretzky, Wayne. The Edmonton Oilers, 198iunno.)

2. (Messier, Mark. Apparently The Only Hockey Game That Ever Happened, 1994 yes that's right 1994 one more time for the people in the back 1994.)

I can also cite the Devils playing the trap from the white at home era. You know, the thing that made the game barely watchable? And of course I can cite the greats of the O6 era to highlight that there was a lot of good before the white at home era too.

I don't know. Between the fact that alternates are here to stay and the fact that you aren't reliant on the home team wearing white to see everyone else's colours? I don't see the point to white at home beyond nostalgia. One that will fade the more years we tack on to the current dark at home era.

I prefer the white-at-home team blending into the home setting while the road team often sticks out like a sore thumb. Let's say the Flyers are playing the Stars: do the Stars look more out of their element amidst the white, orange, and black of their surroundings in a lot of white with a little green, or a lot of green with a little white? I've always set the Habs aside as the Cowboyesque exception to the rule, because their dark sweater is so classic that it deserves to be worn for the full schedule, but for the most part, I think leaning hard on colors that aren't necessarily in the surroundings makes the visiting team look much more, ah, visitlier. 

18 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I prefer the white-at-home team blending into the home setting while the road team often sticks out like a sore thumb. Let's say the Flyers are playing the Stars: do the Stars look more out of their element amidst the white, orange, and black of their surroundings in a lot of white with a little green, or a lot of green with a little white? I've always set the Habs aside as the Cowboyesque exception to the rule, because their dark sweater is so classic that it deserves to be worn for the full schedule, but for the most part, I think leaning hard on colors that aren't necessarily in the surroundings makes the visiting team look much more, ah, visitlier. 

So what you are saying is the road team wearing white actually makes the game look better, because they don’t stick out like a sore thumb....

This is the greatest sports photo of all time. Imagine if the Bruins were in white, Bobby Orr would've blended into the background and the picture would invariably be worse. Spurious, cherry picking argument complete.  Checkmate.orr_bobby_gal.jpg

Props to Mike Smith for wearing red pads

usa_today_12517807.jpg

51 minutes ago, dont care said:

So what you are saying is the road team wearing white actually makes the game look better, because they don’t stick out like a sore thumb....

Nooooooo, the sticking out is what looks better. They don't belong.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

I think leaning hard on colors that aren't necessarily in the surroundings makes the visiting team look much more, ah, visitlier. 

Yes much visitlier I agree.

47 minutes ago, Ark said:

Props to Mike Smith for wearing red pads

usa_today_12517807.jpg

I wonder if they will potentially ruin these next season by sticking a dumb looking shoulder patch on it.

Other than that, these are nice. If anything, it's just nice to see them wearing something new instead of that played, overly complex home sweater they've had for so long.

12 hours ago, Lafarge said:

This is the greatest sports photo of all time. Imagine if the Bruins were in white, Bobby Orr would've blended into the background and the picture would invariably be worse.

Spurious, cherry picking argument completeCheckmate

orr_bobby_gal.jpg

I never understand a phenomenon of this photo. It wasn't a "Flying goal", because he jumped after goal. "Flying celebration" ok, "Flying goal" no way. Btw, he didn't even have a reason to jump, because goalie stick wasn't in his range, so he didn't have to avoid it.

1 hour ago, pepis21 said:

I never understand a phenomenon of this photo. It wasn't a "Flying goal", because he jumped after goal. "Flying celebration" ok, "Flying goal" no way. Btw, he didn't even have a reason to jump, because goalie stick wasn't in his range, so he didn't have to avoid it.

He was tripped up by a defensemen and this was the game winning goal that won the Stanley Cup. Yeah, there was a reason to jump. 

1 hour ago, insert name said:

He was tripped up by a defensemen and this was the game winning goal that won the Stanley Cup. Yeah, there was a reason to jump. 

It wasn't even like it was a normal trip either, his damn foot was nearly head height!

MlN2xMc.png

I don’t have the quote, but I’m fairly certain that Bobby Orr said he jumped up more like that, because he knew he had won the Cup... And I know I would have done the same

Yep, watching again, he jumped to celebrate, probably didn't notice defence stick on his left leg and this why he fall down. Case closed.

21 hours ago, Lafarge said:

This is the greatest sports photo of all time. Imagine if the Bruins were in white, Bobby Orr would've blended into the background and the picture would invariably be worse. Spurious, cherry picking argument complete.  Checkmate.orr_bobby_gal.jpg

So you're saying the Bruins should wear black every game, because they might win the Cup on the road.😀

On 4/13/2019 at 3:09 PM, VancouverFan69 said:

Yellow can work as a white in hockey just like in basketball(LA Lakers).

While yellow can work as the light coloured jersey in hockey like how the Canucks and Kings use to be, I don't think any team will go that route.  Nashville would be the only choice, but considering they fully embraced yellow/gold at home a few years ago, I can't see them only wearing them on the road.

30 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

So you're saying the Bruins should wear black every game, because they might win the Cup on the road.😀

I certainly wouldn't be opposed.

3 hours ago, M4One said:

While yellow can work as the light coloured jersey in hockey like how the Canucks and Kings use to be, I don't think any team will go that route.  Nashville would be the only choice, but considering they fully embraced yellow/gold at home a few years ago, I can't see them only wearing them on the road.

It would be groundbreaking though. I would love to see a yellow vs blue matchup with the Canucks for example. 

Are shoulder patches put on by team's individual equipment managers? I ask because of the upside down shoulder patch on Necas's jersey. How does this kind of thing happen?

spacer.png