NHL 2018-19

ldconcepts

23 hours ago, monkeypower said:

9993560-nhl-tampa-bay-lightning-at-bosto

I like this because it provides a balance, for lack of a better term, with the yoke. The black socks make the yellow shoulders seem very out of place and make the whole uniform bottom-heavy, IMO. Previously, the "color blocking" (not including helmet, because I never really notice/care about them on hockey) was yellow-black-black-yellow, while it is now yellow-black-black-black. I may be the only person who dislikes it for a reason other than "tradition", but that is my reasoning.

NINJA EDIT: Seems like most people actually agree with this reasoning, huh. Should've looked at the other replies first.

I'd say both the Bruins black socks and Blues white numbers look worse than the "regular" versions of each uniform. For the Blues, I don't have much reasoning, other than just "I think the yellow numbers looked better".

ExJworW.png

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

I'd definitely say the Blues numbers bother me more. Firstly, a jersey is the focal point of a hockey uniform, so it's a much more noticeable & jarring change. Jerseys are a fashion item, so if you're a Blues fan and get the opportunity to have a Stanley Cup Finals patch on your jersey you either have to get one with white numbers, or wear a historically inaccurate yellow-numbered jersey with a patch on it (but I guess you could get a blank one also).

Secondly, it seems to be an unpopular opinion around here, but I was never a huge fan of the Bruins' gold socks. The original gold socks at least matched the gold-black-white-black-gold pattern from the jersey stripes (see below). 

I honestly barely notice the Bruins socks now.

spacer.png

If we are talking about stripes Montreal needs to be said about. How to fix Montreal's away jersey: Put the sock stripes on the sleeves. like the NHL 100 jersey only less silver. Keep every other element but add the stripes to the sleeves. 

zyyMk1d.png

As a Bruins fan the sock change angered me at first. I’m really used to it now though and doesn’t bother me at all.  Its actually a little jarring when I look back at the edge set. Maybe I’m just too present-focused.

I never liked the gold socks with the 80s/90s era because it was so unbalanced. Needed the gold yoke for the balance. 

I remember reading in 07 with the Edge launch the decision they made with the socks was keeping gold for tradition, and having the stripes go white-black-white to balance out the black of the rest of the uniform.  It was something that updated that look that called back to the 70s style. It’s funny I was just thinking today how the Bruins have kept this style for quite a while and there’s no reason to change anything major in my mind. 

A new third is where they can do something different and I won’t care as much 

On 5/7/2019 at 1:08 AM, Mingjai said:

Battle of the nitpicks:

I recognize we’re a long way from a Cup matchup, but which change-for-change’s-sake would bother you more to become “canonized”—the Bruins winning the Stanley Cup in black socks or the Blues winning the Stanley Cup with white numbers?

spacer.png

It's tough to argue against a historical precedence that spans over 40 years but something about white numbers on this particular design results in an improvement.  If the Blues were going to be a strictly blue-yellow-and-white team I'd say absolutely use the yellow numbers.  But on the current two-tone uniforms, the white numbers look cleaner and less loud.

On 5/7/2019 at 1:08 AM, Mingjai said:

I recognize we’re a long way from a Cup matchup, but which change-for-change’s-sake would bother you more to become “canonized”—the Bruins winning the Stanley Cup in black socks or the Blues winning the Stanley Cup with white numbers?

Both bother me equally, if it wasn't for Carolina being the other Eastern team I'd prefer seeing both Boston and St. Louis lose forever, until they hit the undo button.

The Bruins black socks look great with the current uniform. The yellow socks have absolutely zero continuity with any design aspect of the current uniforms and the only way they work is if they used a previous (or new) design. You can cling to nostalgia all you want, but just because something is old doesn't automatically mean it's good.

The Bruins had the right idea to match their sock stripes to their uniform stripes. The white socks got it right and the black socks are technically right, but they should have brought back the socks from the Bourque/Neely era.

spacer.png

I don't know about matching the socks to the shoulder yokes with the Bruins template. My university's team does that and it doesn't look right to me.

Luke-Philp-1040x572.jpg

luke-philp.jpg

And if you're keeping score at home, GUBA (the name of the mascot) appears eight times on the white set and seven on the green. One on each sock, one on the pants, two on the helmet and three on the white jersey, two on the green. Just a bit overkill.

IEI5Tg1.png

1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

I don't know about matching the socks to the shoulder yokes with the Bruins template. My university's team does that and it doesn't look right to me.

Luke-Philp-1040x572.jpg

luke-philp.jpg

And if you're keeping score at home, GUBA (the name of the mascot) appears eight times on the white set and seven on the green. One on each sock, one on the pants, two on the helmet and three on the white jersey, two on the green. Just a bit overkill.

I miss the days when the Golden Bears wore the same multi-stripe socks with both the home and away sweaters.

I can haz sig?

Yeah that mock-up of the Bruins socks matching the time looks awful. It looks like a junior team that forgot to buy new socks for their alternate or new set or something...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

13 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Luke-Philp-1040x572.jpg

luke-philp.jpg

Colour balance wise those look absolutely fine. The logos are whats a bit much

What about the current black socks with the current striping plus yellow on the knees above the stripes (Ducks style)?

Or the same thing but with yellow below the stripes? 

That would give the Bruins a sock pattern that has stripes that match the jerseys and enough yellow to balance out the shoulders. 

19 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

How about the Bruins should wear gold socks because that’s part of their aesthetic tradition and it helps separate them from the other team with the same colour scheme? 

So does the jersey style and the large B logo on the chest.  Black socks look better than gold regardless of their aesthetic tradition.

1 hour ago, Ark said:

Why do the Bruins shoulders have to be "balanced" ?

Examples of "unbalanced" hockey uniforms that look good:

ea8444b1c965e0bbe0c10eece54453d0--eric-l

Peter_Forsberg_in_a_Colorado_Avalanche_j

Mario_Lemieux_1992.jpg

YwOGBd8.jpg

And...

GFGXAVHKRUI6RPD5BQSHW3SE3Q.jpg

Each of these other than the bruins have elements such as contrasting breezers or stripes that that keep the looks from being overly bottom heavy. Gold socks helps the balance of the colors.

Archived