NHL 2018-19

ldconcepts

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flames don't need black, imo. If they had another name, sure.... but the only purpose for black that I can see is to anchor it and keep it from being too bright and warm. But if any team is gonna be bright and warm,  it's a team named Flames.

I don't even mind if the yellow and white bleed together. That just gives them the same aesthetic as Detroit with red and white, only the color in between the red and white makes it more fiery, even if it starts to bleed together.

If that makes sense.

The Flames original set is so overrated.  Besides the obvious contrast issue you have generic striping that doesn't even match from road to home on the hem.

41 minutes ago, insert name said:

Black just works better for the Flames. It helps balance everything. 

Related image

Exactly.  That uniform looks so good I don't even mind the dated-horse on the shoulders.

Contrast in and of itself isn't important. It is only important when it serves the purpose it's going for. Having blue and red touch for a team that doesn't have much use for purple is ugly....

But the blur between the red, yellow, and white in Calgary furthers the look by looking more fiery. Same goes for the color bleeding of the old Navy Oilers uniforms. The stripes weren't orange. They were copper with a thin red outline. Those colors bled, but it created an effect that isn't dissimilar to an overly sharpened jpeg or and HDR photograph. It subtly changed the tone of the stripe with color placement, to create a specific visual effect.

That's what the flames did, imo. Intentionally or not, it worked. The yellow doesn't NEED to contrast because it isn't the star. The whole purpose of it is to add warmth and highlight to the primary red color.

Not every color transition has to be stark and contrasted. Some can be gradual and subtle, if it achieves the aesthetic you desire. My 2 cents.

13 minutes ago, ColeJ said:

Contrast in and of itself isn't important. It is only important when it serves the purpose it's going for. Having blue and red touch for a team that doesn't have much use for purple is ugly....

But the blur between the red, yellow, and white in Calgary furthers the look by looking more fiery. Same goes for the color bleeding of the old Navy Oilers uniforms. The stripes weren't orange. They were copper with a thin red outline. Those colors bled, but it created an effect that isn't dissimilar to an overly sharpened jpeg or and HDR photograph. It subtly changed the tone of the stripe with color placement, to create a specific visual effect.

That's what the flames did, imo. Intentionally or not, it worked. The yellow doesn't NEED to contrast because it isn't the star. The whole purpose of it is to add warmth and highlight to the primary red color.

Not every color transition has to be stark and contrasted. Some can be gradual and subtle, if it achieves the aesthetic you desire. My 2 cents.

This is a really good point. Black, as it relates to “flames” (to me) carries the connotation of being charred or burnt (or even just a dark background for the flame itself, like a campfire in the woods), but I don’t necessarily get the feeling of any of those things from the way they currently utilize black.

However, the way yellow was used as the middle value between red and white on those old jerseys (particularly the red ones), I got the feeling of the glow, the heat, and the flames. To me, it’s a great example of the simple power that design can wield.

There’s a way that they can really make black work for them; I just don’t know that they’ve quite found it, yet.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I would give the Flames the bare minimum of black. I think the first set where they added black had almost the right color balance, but I prefer the yellow C on the red jersey. I would save the "white hot" jersey-- red jersey, no black, white C-- for an alt. Is the shade of red brighter on the throwback? The most recent throwback has a look to it that I really like; it's blindingly bright. Watching it on an HDTV is like staring into Marsellus Wallace's briefcase. It works for a team called the Flames, but I don't know if I could take it for 41 games a year. It reminds me of how the Ravens' purple-on-black sounds bad because the purple can disappear, but works because it mimics the iridescence of a real raven.

8 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

I would give the Flames the bare minimum of black. I think the first set where they added black had almost the right color balance, but I prefer the yellow C on the red jersey. I would save the "white hot" jersey-- red jersey, no black, white C-- for an alt. Is the shade of red brighter on the throwback? The most recent throwback has a look to it that I really like; it's blindingly bright. Watching it on an HDTV is like staring into Marsellus Wallace's briefcase. It works for a team called the Flames, but I don't know if I could take it for 41 games a year. It reminds me of how the Ravens' purple-on-black sounds bad because the purple can disappear, but works because it mimics the iridescence of a real raven.

Red pants, helmets, and gloves, with heavy use of yellow and white and black accents and you’ve got it. Basically like what you said about them when they first added black. 

4 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Hasn’t the C always been black or white on the red jersey? I don’t recall a yellow one (or maybe you just meant to type black?).

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

27 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Hasn’t the C always been black or white on the red jersey? I don’t recall a yellow one (or maybe you just meant to type black?).

Huh. Apparently, that's just one of those things that I made up. Like I was saying, I think a yellow C would look good on the red jersey.

On 4/19/2018 at 10:02 AM, Morgo said:

The Flames original set is so overrated.  Besides the obvious contrast issue you have generic striping that doesn't even match from road to home on the hem.

Exactly.  That uniform looks so good I don't even mind the dated-horse on the shoulders.

I really dislike the flames away uniforms. Such an ugly colour scheme IMO. Never enjoyed looking at them. The home isn't so bad, but ugh, away is unflattering. 

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

On 4/19/2018 at 5:55 AM, bleuet said:

Those stripes should be back permanently. Too cool.

What's so cool about a striping configuration used by countless other teams?  If they had one that was distinctly their own I could see the praise but theirs was as cookie-cutter as it gets.

22 minutes ago, Bayne said:

I really dislike the flames away uniforms. Such an ugly colour scheme IMO. Never enjoyed looking at them. The home isn't so bad, but ugh, away is unflattering. 

Red, yellow and black is an ugly colour scheme?  Maybe if you include all the colours on the Alberta-clash-patch but otherwise I just don't see it.

The Flames using black or not never bothered me. They've had great looks with both. I can see why people don't like black, and they want the cleaner, more "white hot" look of just red, yellow and white. I can also understand the case for black, adding some weight to the uniform and being reminiscent of smoke, charcoal, (oil? ;)), and such.

What is way more important is fixing the awful design of their uniforms. Get rid of the flag patches, fix the awkward paneling, etc. They made it halfway by ditching the piping with the Adidas switch over, It's not hard to finish the job.

calgary-flames-lanny-mcdonald.jpg

I think these have the same problem as the more recent Sabres’ Winter Classic jersey: it needs white between the red and yellow stripes. To me, the pants stripes are bold, clean, striking, etc. The stripes on the sleeves, waist, and socks are a kind of muddy, orangey mess.

38 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

calgary-flames-lanny-mcdonald.jpg

I think these have the same problem as the more recent Sabres’ Winter Classic jersey: it needs white between the red and yellow stripes. To me, the pants stripes are bold, clean, striking, etc. The stripes on the sleeves, waist, and socks are a kind of muddy, orangey mess.

You’re right. Looking deeply at it, I think I would drop the outer red trim on the jersey and sock stripes to match the coloration of the C and maintain that red/yellow/white “gradient” of color. Then I’d follow suit on the other elements, flipping the pant stripe so that it matches the coloration of the C as it appeared on the red jersey, and finally, matching the striping style of the red jerseys to match the white one.

16 hours ago, Morgo said:

What's so cool about a striping configuration used by countless other teams?  If they had one that was distinctly their own I could see the praise but theirs was as cookie-cutter as it gets.

Red, yellow and black is an ugly colour scheme?  Maybe if you include all the colours on the Alberta-clash-patch but otherwise I just don't see it.

The Flames were the first team to wear those jersey stripes to my knowledge.

They went somewhere else in the Reebok redo. You ask what I think? Those stripes are way  too cool they should have keep it.

Archived