NHL 2018-19

ldconcepts

On 6/13/2018 at 12:52 PM, spartacat_12 said:

Then the Sens should technically say Kanata, ON.

Kanata was absorbed by the City of Ottawa in 2000 (along with most of the rest of the Regional Municipality of Ottawa-Carleton).  It is no longer a separate city and hasn't been such for 18 years.  Kanata is now nothing more than a region inside the city.  In the lifetime of the Senators organization, Kanata has been part of Ottawa for more than twice as long as it wasn't.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Yes, I'm aware of the amalgamation, but the address of the CTC is still Kanata, ON. Brooklyn isn't a city either, but they still used it on the Islanders hat. 

Even the CTC website lists the address as: 1000 Palladium Dr. Ottawa, Ontario, K2V 1A5 Canada.

On 6/12/2018 at 2:23 PM, monkeypower said:

I don't think the Blackhawks red template is good for the inverted colours. Here's a quick concept of the red and black switching (spoilered for space) and I don't think it really works because I don't like the look of the red and white together on the hem.

Hide contents

FT6Oj6N.png

The solution for the hem could be just to mirror the sleeve stripe and remove the bottom white and red stripe and make the hem black. 

That would ensure a nice dovetail between the Home and away striping patterns.

You keep the tri-stripe from the away, and the Home striping style means the red and white stripes stand out better when touching. With the separated tri-stripe pattern, the red would get washed out against the black of the uniform. 

On 6/13/2018 at 2:04 PM, Griffinmarlins said:

Yes they are getting a new alt. You can see that on this leak of the teams getting new alternates in 2018-19. 

8jBtf2g.jpg

A bit off topic, but it's interesting to me that all the teams are listed just by the team name except for the Avs.  They're listed as "Colorado Avalanche".  I noticed this when Adidas took over and came out with team t-shirts.  Most shirts had a graphic that read "[TEAM NAME] HOCKEY", while the Avs reads "Colorado Avalanche".

ff_2863281alt1_full.jpg&w=600ff_2881195alt1_full.jpg&w=600

It's clear that they want to be branded by their full name.  I wonder why.  They have a unique team name that won't be confused with another team.  Not to say that it's wrong to want to be known by their full name, but they seem to be largely alone in that compared to the rest of the league.

We talked about this a few pages ago, there are a few teams that have to go by their full names for copyright/trademark reasons. I don't remember the others. :(

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

yes I designed the above graphic and have dealt with these rules for years, the Nashville Predators / Colorado Avalanche need their state/city name with their mascot name when used on apparel. It must always appear at 50% size of the mascot name.

For "Center Ice" apparel the Panthers prefer to have it read: "Florida Panthers" but on regular "fan" merchandise "Florida" is not needed.

The Kings now require their apparel to read: "LA Kings" not "Los Angeles Kings" however for apparel that uses vintage logos it can read "Los Angeles Kings"

Vegas used to require it to read: "Vegas Golden Knights" but now can read "Golden Knights"

Winnipeg was the same until recently, had to have Winnipeg along with Jets, now "Jets" can be used alone but must have the logo in the same sight line.

A lot of the defunct teams have these rules as well.

I can see why it's an issue for the Jets, Panthers, and Kings. What are the conflicts with the Avs and Preds? Predator as in Alien versus?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

35 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I can see why it's an issue for the Jets, Panthers, and Kings. What are the conflicts with the Avs and Preds? Predator as in Alien versus?

I bet it's just some kind of a branding thing. I don't think it's all that big of an issue, to be honest.

The Avs have had that rule in place forever. There were these faux-jersey t-shirts that were popular in 1995, and they featured the team's name vertically arched on the back, like a nameplate. The Avs were the only one to have the location and team name stacked atop each other.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

On 6/14/2018 at 2:04 PM, Sabres7200 said:

ff_2881195alt1_full.jpg&w=600

That logo looks surprisingly good on a Navy background.  Most are predicting a return of the previous alternate but I'm holding out hope we'll see something similar but with this logo in place of the Rockies recolour.

On 6/14/2018 at 7:15 PM, MEANS said:

yes I designed the above graphic and have dealt with these rules for years, the Nashville Predators / Colorado Avalanche need their state/city name with their mascot name when used on apparel. It must always appear at 50% size of the mascot name.

For "Center Ice" apparel the Panthers prefer to have it read: "Florida Panthers" but on regular "fan" merchandise "Florida" is not needed.

The Kings now require their apparel to read: "LA Kings" not "Los Angeles Kings" however for apparel that uses vintage logos it can read "Los Angeles Kings"

Vegas used to require it to read: "Vegas Golden Knights" but now can read "Golden Knights"

Winnipeg was the same until recently, had to have Winnipeg along with Jets, now "Jets" can be used alone but must have the logo in the same sight line.

A lot of the defunct teams have these rules as well.

That's really interesting.  Thanks for responding.  Were those Adidas shirts an exception to the state name must be 50% size of mascot name rule for the Avs, or how did that one wind up with the words being similar sizes?

8 hours ago, Sabres7200 said:

That's really interesting.  Thanks for responding.  Were those Adidas shirts an exception to the state name must be 50% size of mascot name rule for the Avs, or how did that one wind up with the words being similar sizes?

I'm guessing the word "least" was left out of the original post as I have seen multiple items where the state name was the same size as the mascot name.

Yes, I should have said “at least”. For this design the intent was to keep both lines of text the same size. I broke up the league into 3 groups for sizing depending on the length of their name. “Hockey” was 12”/11”/10” wide depending on the length of the team name. If the team couldn’t use hockey and required the location name, I kept them the same size.

Icethetics has an update on the Ducks third jersey.

Sadly if this is accurate, then the orange thirds will not be returning, and they'll instead be going with another black jersey. On the plus side, the Mighty Ducks crest is returning. But apparently this new third will also make use of some retro colours. I hope whatever they come up with isn't some forced mess - the regular set is already bad enough.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

1 hour ago, wildwing64 said:

Sadly if this is accurate, then the orange thirds will not be returning, and they'll instead be going with another black jersey. On the plus side, the Mighty Ducks crest is returning. But apparently this new third will also make use of some retro colours. I hope whatever they come up with isn't some forced mess - the regular set is already bad enough.

It's weird that their source says it "may include" retro colors. Seems like a good source would know about that definitively.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, wildwing64 said:

On the plus side, a mighty ducks jersey in black might become popular enough to supplant the current webbed D jerseys. 

2 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

So maybe I’m in the minority but I don’t think an orange/teal/eggplant “rainbow” look on black would be that bad. 

Part of me wished the Mighty Ducks nostalgia wave faded away. It was novel a couple of years ago, but I’ve kind of soured on the logo. It just isn’t all that good.

The purple/dark greenish teal is ok, but there are better options (dark green/orange). I just want the team to create an ornithologically-correct/stylized portrait of a mallard duck or another breed with dark plumage. Think Quad City Mallards, but with some modifications.

6 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I just want the team to create an ornithologically-correct/stylized portrait of a mallard duck or another breed with dark plumage. T

This is a great idea.  Their namesake is loaded with potential and it's safe to say they haven't reached it. 

I’ve kind of soured on the logo. It just isn’t all that good.

This is exactly how I feel about their current primary.  I liked it at first, because it was such an improvement over the script, but now it seems as dated as their swooshing side panels.

Archived