NHL 2018-19

ldconcepts

4 hours ago, MEANS said:

Huh? There's literally a simplified Jet flying through the "T" 

Didn't realize that.  It's too subtle that if it's not pointed out, it's too easily missed.  I was talking something more clear like in the logo the jersey is being based off of.  In the end, it's still just a script logo with a slight nod to a jet and it's good for a script, but bad as a logo on the front of a jersey.

1200px-Winnipeg_Jets_Logo.svg.png

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Small thing I noticed while I wait for official Jets reveal: 

the new logo is on the home helmet as well, and pants are now logo-less with brand logo on back. 

I honestly don’t get the whole brand on the back thing. Just looks weird to me. 

6 hours ago, M4One said:

Didn't realize that.  It's too subtle that if it's not pointed out, it's too easily missed.  I was talking something more clear like in the logo the jersey is being based off of.  In the end, it's still just a script logo with a slight nod to a jet and it's good for a script, but bad as a logo on the front of a jersey.

1200px-Winnipeg_Jets_Logo.svg.png

6 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

I also did not see the jet inside the t until it was pointed out

Ya know, a lot of people used to say that about this, too... ?

il_340x270.922940628_b0ni.jpg?version=1

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

10 hours ago, LETSGOBLUEBEATMSU said:

Yes that is true that design will always be synonymous with the New York Rangers but it's often replicated. A ton of teams wether it's NHL, College, and High School have donned that design and it will always be remembered as a Rangers but it's also a Classic hockey jersey design. Just like the Michigan football helmet will always be recognized as Michigan's Helmet but it's also a classic football helmet design that is replicated all the time. When the Avalanche entered the league their Home & Away sets were perfect it was a modern yet traditional set kind of like the Denver Broncos set was modern at the time now we call it a Modern but traditional look. Anyway I thought the Avalanche's sets were perfect and that they were a team that did not need a 3rd Jersey. However when they unveiled the Burgundy "Colorado" Alternates it was a different design then the Home & Away but it still had that classic hockey sweater look and I thought it fit well with the team. Maybe my love for this jersey is because my grand parents gifted me one for Christmas when it came out idk but I know a lot of people  loved those and I know a lot of people love these current ones and I get your points and where you're coming from and what the Avs are trying to do. Maybe after sometime these will grow on me. 

So, you’re defending using a stair step by countering that it’s generic, universal, and teams of all levels replicate it, not to mention the fact that the only reason it’s considered a classic hockey look in the first place is *because* the Rangers have been using it since the 1920s? ?

How is that better than riffing on an actual icon that represents Colorado hockey?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

10 hours ago, GFB said:

Like I said in the other thread, if the Avs wanted to step outside of their brand and do a "Colorado Pride/Rockies" inspired jersey, then they should commit to it and use the colors that apply to that inspiration (blue/red/yellow) rather than bastardizing it all and having the result be unrecognizable from both the actual team and the inspiration they were trying to capture. 

You’ll get no argument from me there (though I actually prefer the burgundy/dark blue/white color scheme to their actual burgundy/sea blue/silver/white/black? color scheme). I love using a new color palette to tell a story with a third. The Jazz and Heat proved how successful it can be when done right.

10 hours ago, jdavidev said:

I really don't agree with that assessment in principle nor practice in this case. The Avs have a unique color scheme that includes 4 colors plus white. There are many different directions they can go with the Jersey to make it an extension of their brand without changing/adding a new color. A color that is between two of their current colors of black and light blue. 

On top of that, the implementation is poor with a very dark color combined with another dark color and then white yoke with no outline? It looks like the cheap CCM practice jerseys you get for roller hockey cause you don't care.

I actually really like the look of the jersey. It’s completely unique and thus, an ownable look that I find very appealing. I actually like it more than their current jersey, though I’d love to see the mountain hem stripe on the bottom of this one). The dark colors are used in an unexpected way, but I find it very effective, providing some depth in the backdrop for the simple white shapes to pop. If you don’t believe me, just think about how much more blah this jersey would be if it were all burgundy or all blue.

But again, all that’s opinion, and regardless of how well you or I think the team executed their plan to tell this story, it doesn’t change thd fact that the third jersey is the most appropriate avenue to do so. I’d challenge you to come up with a better place to experiment that fans will actually care about or pay attention to.

39 minutes ago, NYYNYR said:

SO, roughly 2.5 weeks to go before the season, and we still are looking for confirmation about third jerseys from:

1. Islanders

2. Flames

3. Lightning

4. Caps

5. CBJ (???)

6. Kings

7. Pens

8. Sharks

9. Leafs

Is that right?

Talked at length with the manager at Pro Image and he said the Leafs 3rd is just going to be the St. Pats & we won’t see it in action til March. Shannahan lobbied for it as a full time third, but maybe Lou (still in charge at that point denied it). That’s allegedly from the Adidas rep, but whether true or not we’ll see. 

untitled-6.jpg

2 hours ago, NYYNYR said:

SO, roughly 2.5 weeks to go before the season, and we still are looking for confirmation about third jerseys from:

1. Islanders

2. Flames

3. Lightning

4. Caps

5. CBJ (???)

6. Kings

7. Pens

8. Sharks

9. Leafs

Is that right?

* NYI- leak has been confirmed to be real just need them to actually release it

* CAL- going back to the retro 3rd from few years ago?

* TB- Told to expect Black but no BOLTS lettering this time

* WAS- Believe the retro is coming back as 3rd

* CBJ- already shown, cannon coming back

* LA- Grey jersey similar to the anniv look

* PIT- Maybe we get lucky and get the yellow version of current look

* SJ- leaks are real

* TOR- St Pats

3 hours ago, youcan'tseeme said:

Talked at length with the manager at Pro Image and he said the Leafs 3rd is just going to be the St. Pats & we won’t see it in action til March. Shannahan lobbied for it as a full time third, but maybe Lou (still in charge at that point denied it). That’s allegedly from the Adidas rep, but whether true or not we’ll see. 

I can see that. Guess Lou got to the Island just too late to stop them from wearing the new thirds. Maybe that's what's delaying the process if he's lobbying against them or something. Just thinking "outloud."

13 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

But again, all that’s opinion, and regardless of how well you or I think the team executed their plan to tell this story, it doesn’t change thd fact that the third jersey is the most appropriate avenue to do so. I’d challenge you to come up with a better place to experiment that fans will actually care about or pay attention to.

Well, sure. No one can argue that. However, I think it's always a fail when the third/alt is so jarringly different from the main set, as with my previous examples. If I can't recognize the team rather quickly... failure. I can't watch college football anymore because I don't know who is playing on any given Saturday.

At least with the Islanders all black, the NY logo was front and center. Buffalo's turdburger at least used all the colors. When the rangers go Navy blue, the past two alts at least still have the basic design of their main jerseys. I don't like the Columbus Cannon's because it has nothing to do with the rest of their brand (well, it does now that the number font is consistent across all jerseys, but that's very loose connection).

2 hours ago, bowld said:

* NYI- leak has been confirmed to be real just need them to actually release it

* CAL- going back to the retro 3rd from few years ago?

* TB- Told to expect Black but no BOLTS lettering this time

* WAS- Believe the retro is coming back as 3rd

* CBJ- already shown, cannon coming back

* LA- Grey jersey similar to the anniv look

* PIT- Maybe we get lucky and get the yellow version of current look

* SJ- leaks are real

* TOR- St Pats

What a missed opportunity for the Kings to reincorporate purple into their color scheme and start "owning" that color. Pretty soon, we're going to be fairly removed from their "championship years," and a new crop of talent will emerge. I see no reason to not bring purple back in, especially at a time when one of your newest rivals, the Knights, have a grey-dominant uni.

Archived