NHL 2018-19

ldconcepts

10 hours ago, SenatorJake said:

Umm hi guys, we have a re-instatement certificate signed by Joyn Ziegler himself, so if you could kindly all quit it with your manufactured outrage about where banners are being placed, that'd be super great. We're having a rough enough time as it is lately. Thanks in advance :)

Wow, you can change history by signing a piece of paper? Someone get Uncle Gary on the phone, I have a business decision to discuss with him about retroactively giving the Vancouver Millionaires cup to the Canucks.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Chromatic said:

Wow, you can change history by signing a piece of paper? Someone get Uncle Gary on the phone, I have a business decision to discuss with him about retroactively giving the Vancouver Millionaires cup to the Canucks.

Exactly. Also the story didn’t go down like is being claimed. 

I know Ziegler said the Sens were a “reactivation,” but the NHL keeps the original Senators and new Senators’ records separate. And they’ve refused the team’s requests to merge them at least twice. 

That said? I have no problem with the current Senators hanging banners for the original Senators’ Cups. Just keep the Roman logos off of them. It’s all I ask, and a fair compromise between people wanting to honour that important history and continuity nerds like myself :P 

1 hour ago, Chromatic said:

You joke, buuuuut isn't there a persuasive argument that the NHL Canucks are a continuation of the PCHL Canucks? I remember Wikipedia (yeah I know) had the Canucks' establishment year down as 1948 for a long time.

EDIT: 1945 and they still do

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

15 minutes ago, the admiral said:

You joke, buuuuut isn't there a persuasive argument that the NHL Canucks are a continuation of the PCHL Canucks? I remember Wikipedia (yeah I know) had the Canucks' establishment year down as 1948 for a long time.

Could almost make the argument that what happened to the WHL Canucks during the offseason of 1970 (where the team was no longer with the WHL and there was a new NHL expansion with the same roster) is similar to the "promotion" aspect of USL teams moving up to MLS.  Looks like it happened with the Seals from the WHL as well in 1967 during that initial expansion.

But it's not some wackiness like the Senators being on a six decade hiatus.  There's no direct lineage there as compared to the Seals (WHL)->Seals (NHL)->Barons->North Stars->Sharks where there are documented mergers and splits in ownerships and such.

22 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The way it’s sort of treated is as if the 1945 Canucks were ‘promoted’ to the NHL sort of like how NASL teams moved to the MLS, or leveled up in a video game.

They’ll honour some of that history, like with how they’ll treat Orland Kurtenbach’s tenure with both teams, but for the most part it’s treated as if the slate was wiped clean when they were ‘inducted’ into the NHL. There aren’t any banners hanging or anything like that from the WHL days and most things you’ll find say the team was founded in 1970 with “roots”, for lack of a better term with the old team.

6 hours ago, M4One said:

There are now ads behind the goal line on both sides of the trapezoid.  Fine as long as they keep them off he jerseys.

The NHL looks like a junior league now.  So stupid.  

The aesthetics of the league are getting ruined for a couple million bucks.  Just keep the cap the same and remove the ads.  Hideous...

The ads on the boards bother me more, to be honest. As long as it's not full minor league/Europe, it's pretty easy for me to tune out the ads on the ice. When the action gets moving quickly, the board ads become an incomprehensible, cluttered mess of letters and colors. I was watching Olympic highlights the other day, and it struck me how much cleaner the game looked with a single cohesive design on the boards.

The absolute worst is the CGI ads superimposed on the glass behind the goal, though.

I'm leaning towards retro too based on the picture.

DndlendV4AIYk-E.jpg

Most of the replies to the tweet reference the snorting horse jersey, which in my experience is a decently well received jersey by Flames fans and personally don't hate it myself, but I doubt that will get brought back. I would also like to see the horse as a shoulder patch instead of the flags, but that's a whole nother story.

IbjBaeE.png

given the amount of contrast between the ring of the collar and the rest, i'd say it's either white or yellow/gold.  i could see them doing what everyone else has with the thirds and heritage jerseys this season and making the throwbacks again.  

35 minutes ago, GFB said:

I don't really care for ASG logo or inspiration, but it's so completely lifeless, corporate, and on-brand for the Sharks organization, it's an absolute masterpiece.

It looks like a phone app...which would be a bad thing if it weren’t San Jose.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, monkeypower said:

I'm leaning towards retro too based on the picture.

How? That doesn't match the pattern of the striping on the retro collar. The retro collar is red-gold-red.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

5 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

How? That doesn't match the pattern of the striping on the retro collar. The retro collar is red-gold-red.

It might be a solid red base, with a gold top piece. (With Adidas, it's hardly striping) They might have gone with that route, because it will look better than a half and half collar with the correct stripes in the back. 

That being said, I think teasing it with a black gradient, and a black "C" make me think that it's going to be a black jersey. Or at least have black in it. I have a feeling we're going to be seeing something new... (That or the Flaming snot horse...)

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

53 minutes ago, Prince Harry said:

What about a black jersey with a red C and red shoulders? That would be uncharted territory for a Flames jersey but it would also looker probably nicer than any of their recent thirds. 

You mean something like this?

axwuIxg.jpg

Archived