NHL 2018-19

ldconcepts

The 90s Panthers were nice, but I don't think it's a crime against sports aesthetics that they don't wear it anymore. If someone thinks it is, that's fine, too. Let's all just be glad they ditched their Edge look.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, LETSGOBLUEBEATMSU said:

Does anyone think Adidas will make throwback NHL jerseys with the Adidas Originals logo like they did with the NBA?

I never considered that but now I really hope they do!

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

17 hours ago, ColeJ said:

Diagonal stripes: Whalers.

Triangular yokes: Canucks.

Remotely Similar Color Scheme: Rockies.

I can't speak to use of metallic threads or metallic twill in the 80s, but I know at least Minnesota used it before Florida, albeit not in the 80s.

The Whalers diagonal stripes went the other way, the Canucks had double-stroked V's on the shoulder (hardly a yoke) and the Rockies used Royal Blue with red and yellow accents, not Red with navy, yellow, gold, and white accents.

The Panthers' look was, more or less, a 1980s Whalers/Canucks/Rockies hybrid

Come on man :rolleyes:.  That is so far from what the Panthers looked like it's ridiculous.  And how could any new jersey design not be a hybrid of some kind anyways?  Only so many things you can do.

17 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I also never said the current look was groundbreaking, only that their original one wasn't. Chill out and have fun. B)

Whose not having fun, I'm enjoying this ;) .  The term 'modern classic' gets thrown around a lot on these boards but the uniform below is, in my opinion, a sterling example. 

ppnX94P.jpg

As someone who grew up with this set I just cannot get behind the way the team looks now.  The logos have their charms and I'm glad they referenced the original aesthetic but the striping is just lazy.  The way the chest stripes inexplicably stop at the side and how the ones on the sleeves seem to be trying to line up with it while falling just short of doing so irks me to no end.  Then there's the lack of proper hem-stripes (can make or break a uniform) aside from a completely unnecessary navy strip at the bottom.  If the pants are already navy, why is this even necessary?  I would love to hear andrewharringtron's justification for this decision and hope it fairs better than his one for the new collars.

18 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

I need a Chrome extension that turns every Morgo post in this thread into the dril corncob tweet.

I don't know what that is but I'm sure it's some dig.  Not sure why.  I have backed up every one of my arguments with facts and presented them in a concise manner.

3 minutes ago, Morgo said:

C5IUxn6WQAEmI66.jpg

I think you make a lot of good points here, but I suspect the reason people like the old Panthers sweaters so much is that they weren't that groundbreaking, that they were a Miami team fresh on the scene but still working within the constraints of conventional hockey design.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Again.... those old panthers jerseys are awesome.

It's just that how awesome those jerseys were is literally completely unrelated to how nice their current uniforms are, in my mind. They're both good. It's like hating Luongo because you really liked Beezer growing up. Why can't they both be good? What does one have to do with the other's value?

2 hours ago, LETSGOBLUEBEATMSU said:

Does anyone think Adidas will make throwback NHL jerseys with the Adidas Originals logo like they did with the NBA?

If more teams wore throwbacks occasionally, that would be awesome. It was nice seeing the Coyotes suit up in the Kachina jerseys, the Devils' retro jerseys always look good and it's an absolute shame that the Ducks broke out the eggplant and jade jerseys for only one night. I'm not, of course, suggesting that the league go full retro, but seeing those older jerseys revived once or twice a year would be cool. There's a lot to draw from. The Canadiens could wear the 1940s white chest stripe jerseys, the Rangers could wear the Lady Liberty jerseys, the Islanders could (please don't kill me Islanders fans) wear the fisherman jerseys, the Panthers could bring back their inaugural jerseys, the Kings could bring back the Chevy jerseys, etc. etc. It'd look great.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

1 hour ago, Morgo said:

The Whalers diagonal stripes went the other way, the Canucks had double-stroked V's on the shoulder (hardly a yoke) and the Rockies used Royal Blue with red and yellow accents, not Red with navy, yellow, gold, and white accents.

Come on man :rolleyes:.  That is so far from what the Panthers looked like it's ridiculous.  And how could any new jersey design not be a hybrid of some kind anyways?  Only so many things you can do.

Whose not having fun, I'm enjoying this ;) .  The term 'modern classic' gets thrown around a lot on these boards but the uniform below is, in my opinion, a sterling example. 

ppnX94P.jpg

As someone who grew up with this set I just cannot get behind the way the team looks now.  The logos have their charms and I'm glad they referenced the original aesthetic but the striping is just lazy.  The way the chest stripes inexplicably stop at the side and how the ones on the sleeves seem to be trying to line up with it while falling just short of doing so irks me to no end.  Then there's the lack of proper hem-stripes (can make or break a uniform) aside from a completely unnecessary navy strip at the bottom.  If the pants are already navy, why is this even necessary?  I would love to hear andrewharringtron's justification for this decision and hope it fairs better than his one for the new collars.

I don't know what that is but I'm sure it's some dig.  Not sure why.  I have backed up every one of my arguments with facts and presented them in a concise manner.

Read between the lines. You're like that kid who starts every new sentence with, "Well, TECHNICALLY..." :rolleyes:

More or less, yes, it's what they looked like. No one is claiming they looked *exactly* like these 1980s teams, only that you can see the roots of the Panthers' look in classic 1980s hockey design, which is a fact. That the stripes might have gone up instead of down or it was royal instead of navy is semantics. The lineage is clear, and the fact that it was classically grounded is a big reason why it was a good uniform (and I dislike most 1980s *and* 1990s looks).

Again, I didn't say other jersey designs aren't hybrids of previous eras. You're trying to insert a straw man so you have a battle to win. I stated that this specific one we are talking about was, in fact, not far removed from the look of the previous decade, just like the Lightning and Sharks were.

This, also, is absolutely a "triangular shoulder yoke." Unequivocally. It connects to the collar at the front and to itself at the back.

80s-van-rw-tony-tanti.jpgweeks.jpgPavel-Bure-Florida-Panthers-.jpg

Without knowing the intent, I would say the trim at the bottom of their current jersey grounds the hem of the jersey when it's worn without the rest of the uniform, like on a player at a non-game event or on a fan. It blends in cleanly with the pant on the ice as if it's not there, but provides a finial element at the hem and balances the collar when worn casually. It's a nice way to cap off the hem, though I wish it was a little heavier. I don't think a jersey with a chest stripe needs a full, proper hem stripe, so it works for that purpose. Even Montréal has a similarly sized stripe down below, though theirs is decidedly more vintage-looking (in keeping with their look).

Florida and Montréal are a good example of two similar layouts that can look quite different with a few simple changes.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

10 hours ago, LETSGOBLUEBEATMSU said:

I'm kinda surprised that more teams haven't jumped on the vintage uniform band wagon and actually worn them in the game and not just for the warm ups, especially for these past 2 seasons, even with the no alternate rule for this year.  Then, I remembered that some teams are kinda cheap and don't want to fork out for the extras like making sure the helmet and pants match the jersey.  

On 12/28/2017 at 1:06 PM, Morgo said:

I have backed up every one of my arguments with facts and presented them in a concise manner.

I’ve seen you claim clear falsehoods (“no one in the 80s wore diagonal stripes/had triangle shoulder yokes!”). 

I don’t say this to claim you’re deliberately trying to lie because I don’t think you’re doing that. I think you’re passionate about what you like, and in your haste you tried to upsell how “fresh” the Panthers’ innagural set was. 

You forgot about some earlier 80s looks, and then you tried to backpeddle without admitting you goofed. 

I say this to echo what andrewharrington and ColeJ have each said. Stop approaching every. G-ddamned. Thread. Looking. For. A. Fight. Stop assuming everyone who likes the Sabres in royal and gold or the Senators’ Heritage logo is out to personally wage war against what you like. 

I mean come on, man. This was a Panthers discussion and when enough people said they didn’t agree with you on that team’s look? You brought the Sabres and Sens’ retro looks into it, spewing barely restrained contempt at anyone who dared like both those retro looks along with the current Panthers set. 

Or how an unrelated discussion about the Blackhawks’ throwback logos turned into you chiding andrewharrington for not liking a known con-artist’s Sabres concept from over ten years ago?

Good G-d man. Just stop. Stop making every discussion a confrontation. 

I mean it. Long time forum members know I had a habit of doing that before. I still get drawn into that habit now and then, but you know why I make a conscious effort to keep it in check? It’s exhausting and it alienates everyone. So take it from someone who’s been there. No one’s your “uniform enemy” here. 

Here’s a not-really secret. I like the Panthers’ innagural set. I like the logos, the colours work. It’s a good looking uniform. 

That said? I also like what they wear now. You seem to think it’s a “one or the other” thing and it’s not. Both looks work. It doesn’t lessen my opinion of one to say the other looks good. 

To ColeJ’s bigger point? It’s not like the Panthers said “we’re dropping the Edge look, it’s either this new design or the innagural set.” 

In all likelihood? The innagural set was never considered. From day one they knew what they wanted and worked with Reebok/Adidas accordingly. And what they wanted wasn’t the innagural look.

So why bother trying to make this “current look vs innagural look” when that was never a choice the team was making? 

10 hours ago, M4One said:

I'm kinda surprised that more teams haven't jumped on the vintage uniform band wagon and actually worn them in the game and not just for the warm ups, especially for these past 2 seasons, even with the no alternate rule for this year.  Then, I remembered that some teams are kinda cheap and don't want to fork out for the extras like making sure the helmet and pants match the jersey.  

The crazier thing is Tampa Bay has worn retros in two different games for warm-ups and the Stars have something planned soon against the Wild for a pre-game skate as well, if I remember correctly

11 hours ago, M4One said:

I think it might be a league mandate, because outside of winter classic and stadium series, it seems like all teams wear those special throwbacks pregame only.

The Canucks wore these throwbacks a couple years ago

10732304.jpg?quality=70&strip=all&w=720&

I think the Coyotes and Ducks need to work their 90's throwbacks in the rotation a little more often moving forward. Of course the issue this season is that there's no alternates for anybody, but I suspect next year we'll start to see teams play around a little more. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

The Canucks wore these throwbacks a couple years ago

10732304.jpg?quality=70&strip=all&w=720&

I think the Coyotes and Ducks need to work their 90's throwbacks in the rotation a little more often moving forward. Of course the issue this season is that there's no alternates for anybody, but I suspect next year we'll start to see teams play around a little more. 

Well with the Ducks and Panthers both having their 25th anniversary seasons next year, we very well could see something.

I would love love to see the Ducks have a set of "throwback" games next season.  While on the Ducks, the rumour still going around from friends of mine out in Anaheim are speculating on Orange being used full time.  This is one of the big issues I have with the Ducks franchise.  They seem to change looks every five seasons or so.  Makes things a little out of whack for me.  

However if the move to orange means losing the webbed foot logo, I am all for it.  Just as long as it a return to the classic logo but in the current team colours.

So what actual confirmation do we have, if any, that the Ducks are changing their jerseys next year? I’m not saying this in a disbelieving or disparaging tone, I’m just actually wondering.

There was that article from an Oilers newspaper guy during last year’s playoffs where the Ducks GM said something about new jerseys and how the owners like the orange.

But is there anything else I’m not remembering?

IEI5Tg1.png

2 hours ago, tohasbo said:

This is one of the big issues I have with the Ducks franchise.  They seem to change looks every five seasons or so.  Makes things a little out of whack for me.

When they rebranded, that set was around for eight years before they swapped it out for the current uniform. That's now coming up to four years which is arguably too soon to change, but the sooner they get rid of this set the better, really.

I once loved it when it was a third because it was so vivid and colourful and interesting compared to the wordmark uniforms. Now I look at it and the side panels really kill it for me. Frankly, the white version is even worse.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

3 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

When they rebranded, that set was around for eight years before they swapped it out for the current uniform. That's now coming up to four years which is arguably too soon to change, but the sooner they get rid of this set the better, really.

I once loved it when it was a third because it was so vivid and colourful and interesting compared to the wordmark uniforms. Now I look at it and the side panels really kill it for me. Frankly, the white version is even worse.

The white version is bad too but I’d still put it ahead because at the very least it has a real shoulder yoke, not a phantom piping one

Archived