NHL 2018-19

ldconcepts

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Worse than these?

090413_sabresjersey.jpg

I never saw it before (maybe this is the first time I’ve been brave enough to confront the Turd Burger jersey), but if only they had made that whole front panel navy to match the back...

9 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I disagree on the Lady Liberty jersey. It’s popular, but i don’t think it’s not all that creative. If most of these are low-hanging fruit on the idea tree, then the Statue of Liberty is fruit that’s already fallen to the ground and decomposed into the earth. 

How?  The Liberty jersey resulted in a brand new logo set, colour scheme and striping configuration.  All the 'digital six' jersey did was enlarge a portion of the primary logo and haphazardly stretch it across a uniform.  You might not like the Liberty jersey but at least it looks like some thought went into the design. 

13 hours ago, Morgo said:

How?  The Liberty jersey resulted in a brand new logo set, colour scheme and striping configuration.  All the 'digital six' jersey did was enlarge a portion of the primary logo and haphazardly stretch it across a uniform.  You might not like the Liberty jersey but at least it looks like some thought went into the design. 

Sure, it takes thought to end up at the Statue of Liberty; about one second of it. That’s my point. It’s not a bad thing. It’s just not that creative. It’s cliché. Likewise, the uniform design looked like several other jerseys from the era with the angled sleeve stripes that were so popular back then.

My personal favorite idea for the Rangers was an Art Deco motif (also a bit cliché if you ask me), given that New York is home to so many benchmark examples of the movement, and the Rangers’ most successful period was the late 1920s to the early 1940s.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

With the new Thirds coming out I need to say this about Adidas's tenure in the NHL.

I FORKING HATE THE NEW TEMPLATE

The collar design never looks good unless its entirely one solid colour which is bad news for 90% of NHL teams. The cut of the jersey with the hem stripes lining up with the rounded hem also looks God awful. Especially since the rear hem is somehow more curved than the front hem. Moreover, the jerseys being sold in stores use the worst possible fabrics. The stripes on my Blackhawks have looked really off since the switch, especially on the white sweater.

The stripes should be essentially 5, equal blocks of alternating color: black-white-red-white-black. But comparing the old and the new the white portions seem wider and the color portions narrower which throws the balance way off compared to the Edge template. 

927245542.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&w=400 EP-150609502.jpg&updated=201506032329&Ma

Add to that the way the new collar template is almost entirely red/white which throws off the balance. Since going to a two colour collar in the 60's, the ratio between the two collar colours has always been about 50-50. This new system is joke and yes I blame it for the end of the Blackhawks dynasty.

*END RANT

32 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Sure, it takes thought to end up at the Statue of Liberty; about one second of it. That’s my point. It’s not a bad thing. It’s just not that creative. It’s cliché.

There is an intersection of what designers want to do and what fans like and for some reason designers think it's best to completely avoid it.

Statue of Liberty is so cliche that no other New York team in the Big 5 uses it. And dressing the Brooklyn Nets up as the Dodgers or putting the Bridge on the uniforms seems ridiculously cliche...yet...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

43 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Sure, it takes thought to end up at the Statue of Liberty; about one second of it. That’s my point. It’s not a bad thing. It’s just not that creative. It’s cliché. Likewise, the uniform design looked like several other jerseys from the era with the angled sleeve stripes that were so popular back then.

My personal favorite idea for the Rangers was an Art Deco motif (also a bit cliché if you ask me), given that New York is home to so many benchmark examples of the movement, and the Rangers’ most successful period was the late 1920s to the early 1940s.

What takes one second of thought is blowing up a portion of your primary logo, stretching it across a uniform and calling it a new design.  Lets just say, for arguments sake, that using the statue of liberty is cliched.  They still had to design a new logo around it.  They had to combine the statue, wordmark and shield into a brand new logo that matched the updated primary they used on the shoulders.  Cliched or not, that still seems way more creative than what they did for their 'digital six' design.

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

45 minutes ago, Morgo said:

What takes one second of thought is blowing up a portion of your primary logo, stretching it across a uniform and calling it a new design.  Lets just say, for arguments sake, that using the statue of liberty is cliched.  They still had to design a new logo around it.  They had to combine the statue, wordmark and shield into a brand new logo that matched the updated primary they used on the shoulders.  Cliched or not, that still seems way more creative than what they did for their 'digital six' design.

Wasn't the Statue of Liberty logo design based at least in part on Mike Richter's helmet? Richter had just won the Stanley Cup in 1994, was the MVP of the World Cup of Hockey in 1996, and therefore would have been at the height of his popularity when the alternates were introduced during the 1996-97 season. Maybe the Statue of Liberty is cliched, but the logo was already a part of Rangers lore even if it was first used as a part of the goalie's mask, so the new alternate logo was brilliant in that it was a design the fans would immediately gravitate to.

Mike_Richter_10297262_0_0.JPG

cropped_REUA_507956.jpg

wayne-gretzky-e1531509849163.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

16 hours ago, ldconcepts said:

Praise the lord...

EDIT: I'm not 100% convinced either, but a guy can hope...

I hope theres some validity to this, even if it means this was a prototype or if this means they're targeting 2019-2020 season.

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

There is an intersection of what designers want to do and what fans like and for some reason designers think it's best to completely avoid it.

Statue of Liberty is so cliche that no other New York team in the Big 5 uses it. And dressing the Brooklyn Nets up as the Dodgers or putting the Bridge on the uniforms seems ridiculously cliche...yet...

19 minutes ago, Mingjai said:

Wasn't the Statue of Liberty logo design based at least in part on Mike Richter's helmet? Richter had just won the Stanley Cup in 1994, was the MVP of the World Cup of Hockey in 1996, and therefore would have been at the height of his popularity when the alternates were introduced during the 1996-97 season. Maybe the Statue of Liberty is cliched, but the logo was already a part of Rangers lore even if it was first used as a part of the goalie's mask, so the new alternate logo was brilliant in that it was a design the fans would immediately gravitate to.

Mike_Richter_10297262_0_0.JPG

cropped_REUA_507956.jpg

wayne-gretzky-e1531509849163.jpg

Which is why I prefaced my original point with the caveat that the Lady Liberty jersey was/is wildly popular. Just because it’s popular, however, doesn’t mean it’s creative or not a cliché choice of imagery.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 hour ago, Morgo said:

It certainly took more time to execute all the different pieces, but that doesn’t necessarily make the idea any deeper or more creative than one that takes very little time to execute. They’re independent characteristics that have little (if any) correlation.

Again, there’s no denying that the Rangers’ design is a simplistic idea, but so is the Statue of Liberty. Two ideas can both be equally simplistic. It’s not a ranking. What I will say for this design vs. the Lady Liberty design is that as simplistic as the “shield-to-jersey” idea is, I don’t think cliché is the right word to describe it because, to my knowledge, it’s never been done before (at least in hockey). It’s completely novel and also unique to the Rangers’ identity.

Of course (before someone tries to counter with this), that in no way means “this is an objectively great hockey uniform” or “if you don’t like it, you just don’t get it.” Stuff this polarizing is meant to be just that, and that’s a big reason why it lives strictly on the digital platform. It’s a great outlet to brain-dump the craziest ideas that won’t ever see the ice.

Archived