kimball

1 hour ago, buzzcut said:

The Thunder...sell out:

To bring these conversations full circle - the Thunder set grew on me as well. But now, it's absolute garbage lol.

I don't mind sponsors, but ones like this clash so much it drags the whole jersey down

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

To bring these conversations full circle - the Thunder set grew on me as well. But now, it's absolute garbage lol.

I don't mind sponsors, but ones like this clash so much it drags the whole jersey down

oh stop it. They look fine

39 minutes ago, fnz said:

I just noticed the Celebrity game uniforms are the same template that the University of Buffalo wears at home. Now it's lame.

Image result for nick perkins buffalo

my alma mata...go Bulls 

also, its "University AT Buffalo"

Big fan of the OKC word mark or THUNDER on pretty much any color combo. Those Twitter reposts are lovely. Best set in the league. But now the loves ad patch? Wow. Couldn’t they have done team colors?

The drawn out city name on their jerseys is dated for sure. 

Id like to see a blue with white OKC and white numbers

———-

I saw Houston hosted Charlotte and wore red the other day. Charlotte wore black. I feel bad for their fans. For an entire two month span, Toyota center saw just three different colors. When silver is the most unique look, you know something's up. Charlottes teal would've looked great vs all the red in the stands. Toyota center will not have hosted a team that wears any shade of green or aqua. 4-5 times it's a Dallas or Detroit blue, Memphis' baby blue. Other than that, it's been rare. Yellows a few times. But also, no purple.  Their first home true white vs color happened January 27th, white vs magic blue. 

Houston will have worn white at home 3 other times, 2 white vs black/ 1 white vs Navy. 

It's pretty astonishing how terrible variety has been for the majority of home fans. Houston may have had it the worst.  They wore white on the road 14 times.  

I love GSW in yellow at home vs navy or other non black color combos. Doesn’t happen often. 

1 hour ago, andregunts said:

my alma mata...go Bulls 

also, its "University AT Buffalo"

I'll never forget when both the football and basketball programs wore "The State University of New York at Buffalo" across their chest.

Back on topic, the Love's patch doesn't look bad with the Icon and Association uniforms because of the yellow trim. Looks out of place on the Statement, City and Earned sets, though, which is unfortunate since those are OKC's best-looking uniforms.

4 hours ago, buzzcut said:

The Thunder...sell out:

Easily the worst and most invasive ad patch in the NBA. Gross.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

So let’s look at the whole league. 

Other than Harley Davidson, it looks like all the other teams have tonal logos. Or ones that truly match colors. 

GE went reverse coloring and away from blue/white. Initially the King’s blue diamond ad was standardized blue and white. Now it’s more tonal and white. The warriors white Rakuten stands out but it’s one color and rather small. The other jerseys have a different tonal color. 

Maybe its just for initial photos? It has to be to tonal in some regard, right?

Utah' s ad patch is still the best in terms of uniform integration. And believe me, I'd rather not see jersey ads, but if we have to "accept" them as the norm, the Jazz are among the least offensive aesthetically. In fact, 5 for the Fight almost doubles as a team slogan for them.

It only seems that way because nobody knows what ‘5 for the Fight’ is.

There are a lot of advertisements that makes sense and aren’t particularly intrusive, including — by not limited to — Memphis (FedEx) and Orlando (Disney). I think Cleveland’s Goodyear patch is aesthetically pleasing, too, and should one day lead to the Cavaliers wearing an Akron Wingfoots jersey. 

There are certainly some cases where the advertisement feel out of place, but I’m generally okay with it if they match the team’s color pallete and/or promote/advertise for a local-owned business.

4 hours ago, andregunts said:

oh stop it. They look fine

Unpopular opinions is a separate thread

1 hour ago, MattMill said:

So let’s look at the whole league. 

Other than Harley Davidson, it looks like all the other teams have tonal logos. Or ones that truly match colors. 

GE went reverse coloring and away from blue/white. Initially the King’s blue diamond ad was standardized blue and white. Now it’s more tonal and white. The warriors white Rakuten stands out but it’s one color and rather small. The other jerseys have a different tonal color. 

Maybe its just for initial photos? It has to be to tonal in some regard, right?

That's what's so jarring about it. The colors don't really sync up that well, it's big and bulky, and the logo is so outdated. They've done nothing to try to work with the jersey, which makes me think they've paid a LOT of money

1 hour ago, ScubaSteve said:

Unpopular opinions is a separate thread

That's what's so jarring about it. The colors don't really sync up that well, it's big and bulky, and the logo is so outdated. They've done nothing to try to work with the jersey, which makes me think they've paid a LOT of money

Its truly a game changing logo. I look at Ultimate Software and Miami. Their logo and identity is lime green. Frost Bank uses blue a lot. Blue diamond is now a white logo. GE is known as a blue and white dominant logo. Infor is red and white. ZENNI uses aqua and white. So many of their ad patch logos are white/black and still look ugly.  Orlando’s Disney logo is laughable small now 

Absolutely game changing. 

Next year we’ll see 5-6 others go with colored logos. I sense it. 

It it reminds me of the introductory photos of the Nets. We saw the red and that changed 

http://news.sportslogos.net/2017/02/08/brooklyn-nets-announce-infor-as-jersey-sponsor-for-2017-18/

If the Thunder don’t end up changing it, I sense more teams will go back to huge contrasts. 

7 minutes ago, MattMill said:

Its truly a game changing logo. I look at Ultimate Software and Miami. Their logo and identity is lime green. Frost Bank uses blue a lot. Blue diamond is now a white logo. GE is known as a blue and white dominant logo. Infor is red and white. ZENNI uses aqua and white. So many of their ad patch logos are white/black and still look ugly.  Orlando’s Disney logo is laughable small now 

Absolutely game changing. 

Next year we’ll see 5-6 others go with colored logos. I sense it. 

It it reminds me of the introductory photos of the Nets. We saw the red and that changed 

http://news.sportslogos.net/2017/02/08/brooklyn-nets-announce-infor-as-jersey-sponsor-for-2017-18/

If the Thunder don’t end up changing it, I sense more teams will go back to huge contrasts. 

I see the NBA ads in the same vein as ads on soccer jerseys. Some of them look good because the logo is a wordmark and most times the wordmark is usually rendered in black/white/nuetral/team color:

Barcelona's Rakuten ad isn't bad, mainly because it's white, it does attract the eye to it but otherwise I would say it isn't very intrusive.

spacer.png

Now like Juventus' Jeep & Atletico Madrid's ads are what I would say are obtrusive, because they break the flow of the design:

spacer.png

The ad is slapped on, and it becomes the part of the uniform that grabs your attention. It's strange though because Juventus' away/third has the wordmark and not a "sticker" and works better. So at times it definitely seems like the brand plays a bigger role and the team goes along with it.

spacer.png

I don't personally have a huge issue with teams having ads, as long as the ad doesn't command the uniform in the way where they don't drag all of the attention away.

2 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

It only seems that way because nobody knows what ‘5 for the Fight’ is.

There are a lot of advertisements that makes sense and aren’t particularly intrusive, including — by not limited to — Memphis (FedEx) and Orlando (Disney). I think Cleveland’s Goodyear patch is aesthetically pleasing, too, and should one day lead to the Cavaliers wearing an Akron Wingfoots jersey. 

There are certainly some cases where the advertisement feel out of place, but I’m generally okay with it if they match the team’s color pallete and/or promote/advertise for a local-owned business.

Cleveland's Goodyear patch is right up there too.

Just looking at even Memphis and fedex

spacer.png

Only one jersey features their full colored logo. I think the main issue is that a lot of these patches are two colors MAX. Now Love’s jumps into the fray with three colors. 

To top top it off, many have Ad patches that are just a tad bigger than the nike swoosh, so there’s some balance. This patch has to be twice the size of others and no color balance. I hope they’re getting double what the other teams are getting. 

You’d think the last team to get a patch would ‘get it’. But they went above and beyond in the very worst way.  I’ll try PSing a smaller tonal loves logo here in a sec. 

That Love’s patch is even worse considering that it’s a brand new logo that was designed specifically for the purpose of being a jersey patch

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26262269/okc-jersey-patch-deal-completes-sponsorship-all-30-teams?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Could have easily just put the Love’s wordmark with the hearts apostrophe and  it would have looked 100000x better

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Archived