kimball

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think others have said it, but I still find it weird that the Heat are using the Pink/Blue/Black. It looks good, and makes sense for an alternate. But now they literally have an entire uniform set with that color scheme. A white, black, and pink jersey. Even the court is those colors. Its like the Heat have 2 completely separate looks at this point.

2 hours ago, njdevs7 said:

I think others have said it, but I still find it weird that the Heat are using the Pink/Blue/Black. It looks good, and makes sense for an alternate. But now they literally have an entire uniform set with that color scheme. A white, black, and pink jersey. Even the court is those colors. Its like the Heat have 2 completely separate looks at this point.

Well, they're not wearing the white jerseys this year, those were last year's city jerseys ... but, I think it works. And, I like it. Especially now that they have a matching court. And, apparently this won't be the end of the Miami Vice jerseys ... we'll probably see a blue one and then pink, white, blue and black version of different designs. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

4 hours ago, Froob said:

The Heat pink jersey is a bit too wild, but fun for just a few games. Bucks earned sucks, bring back the creme jerseys.

I actually like the Earned Jerseys better than this year's City Jerseys. Is it odd? Heavens yes. But, it works as a limited use alternate. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

7 hours ago, kimball said:

I actually like the Earned Jerseys better than this year's City Jerseys. Is it odd? Heavens yes. But, it works as a limited use alternate. 

They should at least swap out the Bucks statement jersey with their city creme jersey.

When I have a bit more time I can add MIN, SAS, NOP, OKC, CLE & WAS. I think it’s pretty interesting to consider the cohesiveness of uniforms/branding/color schemes. Also, taking into account teams in the NBA who have purposefully used Nike’s addition of uniforms to introduce one-off color schemes. The Heat for example having a very sound identity across their three main uniforms, and then almost creating a separate identity using Vice colors (but a design that throws back to their 90’s striping/font). The Blazers seeming to have the most cohesive identity, which may be off their diagonal shash alone, but coming together through their solid black/red/white look (albeit introducing gray to the mix).

I’m really interested in other people’s streams on consciousness when it comes to these identities. How do you think looking at these uniform packages as a whole help inform where a team should go with their identity moving forward? If (when) Nike chooses to continue dishing out Statement/City/Earned jerseys (I know, so many), what directions should they head in?

I feel like through reading posts on these boards, a general consensus is that 3 (4 max) uniform choices are people’s ideal desire. Being that we get what we get from Nike, how can we foster more acceptance of our $$$ overlords by comprising on solid identities across the 5 uniforms we get.

A few other points:

- I think I really like what the 76ers, Jazz and Raptors are doing. 

- I agree with @Froob about hoping MIL can phase out black (won't happen), integrate more cream. Also, limit throwback colors per season to a set time in their history (mecca or red/green, not both)

- I don't believe the Rockets have worn their city edition Chinese new year unis this season. 

- LockerVision is a cool resource. 

1 hour ago, sharplcd said:

A look at some of the uniform options for teams with Earned uniforms (not including throwbacks). 

lq4JABH.jpg

I wonder for next year, if the Heat will (most likely) go with a Cyan uniform or maybe an alt version of the "Pink Sunset" uniforms with a pink/orange/yellow gradient like on the background of the player

I’ve never really been on board with the idea of the Heat going Vice colors full time. BUT, I think they could really have something if they made a new set out of the Vice uniform template and wordmark in thier usual colors, or even went halfway and went black-pink-orange. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

4 hours ago, ltjets21 said:

I think it is very interesting that the Rockets Earned jersey is a recolored adidas concept. It probably drives Nike nuts that they wanted to go in that direction.

I think I understand what you're saying, but the checkered pattern itself comes from the design of the Gemini Rocket. I hope Houston builds an entire rebrand around their alternates of late. I can't stand their normal home and away set. 2368842_orig.jpgjames-harden-black-uni-smiles-iso.jpg1024x1024.jpgharden-rockets-celtics.jpeg

25 minutes ago, insert name said:

Wow, it’s like every team is having an identity crisis. 

It really does seem that way. I know when I go to Jazz games, I feel like I see every color of the rainbow in the team store and around the arena, and I don’t think that’s a good thing. 

There’s been a few good products from this recent explosion of alternates - Brooklyn’s city this year is one of my favorite alternates in recent memory - but I don’t like what the whole program’s done to the league. I can sum up the grand problem it’s caused with this: I saw a clip of Bulls/Timberwolves today, and if it weren’t for the Bulls’ court I’d have thought from a distance it was some kind of matchup between the Cavs in 90’s inspired alts and the Kings because of the colors. Bulls/Timberwolves looked more like 90’s Cavs/Kings than Bulls/Timberwolves. Imagine that.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

9 hours ago, KGeeX5 said:

I wonder for next year, if the Heat will (most likely) go with a Cyan uniform or maybe an alt version of the "Pink Sunset" uniforms with a pink/orange/yellow gradient like on the background of the player

Keep in mind the Heat have messed around with pink and orange before with their Floridians throwbacks, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see them use those colors again in the future.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The old Miami Arena script is beautiful and should have been on their uniforms from day one, even if it doesn't match the normal Heat lettering, which has been kind of ugly in each iteration. Think of such a set as a spiritual successor to the old Bulls set that had the team name in block letters and the city name in cursive.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

6 hours ago, the admiral said:

The old Miami Arena script is beautiful and should have been on their uniforms from day one, even if it doesn't match the normal Heat lettering, which has been kind of ugly in each iteration. Think of such a set as a spiritual successor to the old Bulls set that had the team name in block letters and the city name in cursive.

Whole heartedly agree. I would love to see it incorporated with the black, red and yellow scheme. It could really work and look really good.

kimball banner.png

On 12/28/2018 at 9:55 PM, mgfoxx said:

I think I understand what you're saying, but the checkered pattern itself comes from the design of the Gemini Rocket. I hope Houston builds an entire rebrand around their alternates of late. I can't stand their normal home and away set. 2368842_orig.jpgjames-harden-black-uni-smiles-iso.jpg1024x1024.jpgharden-rockets-celtics.jpeg

I love the Rockets earned jerseys except the dark red (🤮). They should build off the black set, make the black red and make the red (lining, shadows, outlines) gold (like metallic gold).

Miami's Vice (Miami Arena) font is nice but waaayyy too small. I like Miami's uniform (fonts, etc) as is. 

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

18 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

It really does seem that way. I know when I go to Jazz games, I feel like I see every color of the rainbow in the team store and around the arena, and I don’t think that’s a good thing. 

There’s been a few good products from this recent explosion of alternates - Brooklyn’s city this year is one of my favorite alternates in recent memory - but I don’t like what the whole program’s done to the league. I can sum up the grand problem it’s caused with this: I saw a clip of Bulls/Timberwolves today, and if it weren’t for the Bulls’ court I’d have thought from a distance it was some kind of matchup between the Cavs in 90’s inspired alts and the Kings because of the colors. Bulls/Timberwolves looked more like 90’s Cavs/Kings than Bulls/Timberwolves. Imagine that.

Yep, and the Cavs have created/exacerbated the issue for years on their end. You have original wine and gold, the metallic gold years, navy, black, gray from last year, plus all the blue and orange and lighter blue and I'm just waiting for their St. Patrick's Day uniform.

Archived