Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

It’s inspired by a hornets nest, not someone else’s image of a hornets nest. 

All I'm saying is that people like me that see the CMPD logo countless times a day while driving through the city would look at the alternative NBA All-Star logo, see the colors and think that it looks quite similar to the CMPD logo. I'll agree to disagree, but that's just my take on it as a Charlotte local.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A random thought. Around the league teams have seemingly made their center court logos smaller. Call me a conspiracy theorist all you want but they did that at about the same time Stephen Curry was lighting teams up and disrespecting them by shooting from the logo. could those two things have caused the logos to get smaller? Did Adam Silver make a secret rule change to the center court logo sizes? we may never know

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Local folklore claims British General Charles Cornwallis called Charlotte “a hornet’s nest of rebellion” during the Revolutionary War, though historians note there’s no proof he actually said it. In addition to The Queen City, Charlotte is nicknamed The Hornet’s Nest. The nest shows up on things such as the city flag, the city seal, the county seal, the police department (logo and badges, which — interestingly enough — have different nest designs), historical markers and the historical society, among many other places. That’s where the Hornets’ name came from — same for the World Football League’s Charlotte Hornets and the minor league Charlotte Hornets (Washington Senators/Minnesota Twins affiliate).

 

“All I’m saying is you don’t need to be a Charlotte resident to know its history.” 🤷🏻‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can the Rockets just switch to the earned full time? Would love to see these with yellow instead of white. Their icon and association jerseys suck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Conrad. said:

(tho, i didn't get the coloring right on the 2nd logo)

 

Don't worry I need black & white version, thanks man :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

Local folklore claims British General Charles Cornwallis called Charlotte “a hornet’s nest of rebellion” during the Revolutionary War, though historians note there’s no proof he actually said it. In addition to The Queen City, Charlotte is nicknamed The Hornet’s Nest. The nest shows up on things such as the city flag, the city seal, the county seal, the police department (logo and badges, which — interestingly enough — have different nest designs), historical markers and the historical society, among many other places. That’s where the Hornets’ name came from — same for the World Football League’s Charlotte Hornets and the minor league Charlotte Hornets (Washington Senators/Minnesota Twins affiliate).

 

“All I’m saying is you don’t need to be a Charlotte resident to know its history.” 🤷🏻‍♂️

 

Thanks! Good stuff!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

Local folklore claims British General Charles Cornwallis called Charlotte “a hornet’s nest of rebellion” during the Revolutionary War, though historians note there’s no proof he actually said it. In addition to The Queen City, Charlotte is nicknamed The Hornet’s Nest. The nest shows up on things such as the city flag, the city seal, the county seal, the police department (logo and badges, which — interestingly enough — have different nest designs), historical markers and the historical society, among many other places. That’s where the Hornets’ name came from — same for the World Football League’s Charlotte Hornets and the minor league Charlotte Hornets (Washington Senators/Minnesota Twins affiliate).

 

“All I’m saying is you don’t need to be a Charlotte resident to know its history.” 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m not from the area, but I’ve heard of Charlotte being referred to as the “Queen City” before. I’ve never heard of it referred to as “The Hornet’s Nest” before. Or “Buzz City.” 

“The Hornet’s Nest” sounds like a lame nickname the Hornets came up with for the Spectrum Centre on gameday. 

 

Also, know why it’s called the Queen City? It’s named after Queen Charlotte, wife of British monarch King George III. The guy the American revolutionaries were rebelling against. 

So the whole “hornet’s nest of rebellion” deal kind of seems silly in that regard :P 

 

EDIT- 

The city’s Wikipedia page mentions that the city was named after Queen Charlotte. 

It also relates the above story, about the city being nicknamed “the Hornet’s Nest,” though it has a [citation needed] marker. Which is just perfect. 

 

I’m not saying “the Hornet’s Nest” isn’t a long-used local nickname for the city, but it’s nowhere near as well-known as “the Queen City.” 

Just makes the sudden insistence on trying to make “the Hornet’s Nest” a thing seem silly. 

Edited by Ice_Cap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fun fact: Buffalo, Cincinnati and Denver also lay claim to the nickname the Queen City, though Charlotte had the moniker first. Buffalo is the Queen City of the Great Lakes, Cincinnati is the Queen City of the West and Denver is the Queen City of the Plains. As an Ohio resident, I always found it odd that Cincinnati shared its nickname. That said, a Queen City can also refer to a city in a state that is larger than the capital, so there are many others that fall under the category. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

Fun fact: Buffalo, Cincinnati and Denver also lay claim to the nickname the Queen City, though Charlotte had the moniker first. Buffalo is the Queen City of the Great Lakes, Cincinnati is the Queen City of the West and Denver is the Queen City of the Plains. As an Ohio resident, I always found it odd that Cincinnati shared its nickname. That said, a Queen City can also refer to a city in a state that is larger than the capital, so there are many others that fall under the category. 

Are any of them named after an actual Queen? Charlotte is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found this hard to watch. Doesn’t look too bad in a still, but was rough on TV, especially with Memphis’s new court.

EP-301279995.jpg&updated=201901270023&Ma

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

That’s fair 😂 And like I mentioned, Charlotte had it 51 years before Cincinnati. 

Is it just me or does Cincinnati come to mind first when talking about Queen City though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

Is it just me or does Cincinnati come to mind first when talking about Queen City though

 

It does for me, too, but I’m from Ohio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Digby said:

I found this hard to watch. Doesn’t look too bad in a still, but was rough on TV, especially with Memphis’s new court.

EP-301279995.jpg&updated=201901270023&Ma

 

Kept forgetting who was who because when I see the grey and yellow my mind instantly connected that to the Grizzlies' alt, especially on that floor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BellaSpurs said:

Is it just me or does Cincinnati come to mind first when talking about Queen City though

I feel like London would be the most appropriate, but Cincinnati does come to mind before Charlotte.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shocked that the most famous "Queen City" isn't the one that's home to my alma mater; Burlington, VT. (Explanation of that one is that it's the largest city in the state but not capital (yes, really)).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Huh, so the court design team and the jersey design team should probably communicate a little more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.