kimball

24 minutes ago, MattMill said:

Sometimes it's a jersey color that doesn't match the court or just two similarly colored teams.

A loss of identity is a real thing in all levels of sports. I guess that's where I'm sort of getting at. 

These points I agree with you 100% on — I hate when the Bulls wear their city jerseys on their home court. The color palette of the two is extremely off. The same goes with the Warriors, Timberwolves and Cavs (earned jersey) to name a few. That’s why I like the Jazz, Heat, Kings and Cavs (city jersey) because it’s been more immersive with a matching court identity. You can kind of tell which teams are just in it for the jersey sales. But, you can also argue that an immersive identity helps fuel sales as well? Anyways, that’s probably a thread for another day.

But, I agree with you on the loss of identity and you really don’t have to look as far as the Lakers for a great example, especially on these boards. Lakers gold should only be worn at home and not on the road, the white jersey only at home on Sundays. I think they’ve fixed that for the latter. But,it still bugs me to see the Lakers in gold on the road and purple at home for the select games they do. It’s been better than last year but it’s still a loss of identity in my opinion.

The color vs. color though is welcome for me as long as their is a big enough contrast between the two. I wish white was just used as a clash Jersey if the need arose. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Maybe sometimes.  But not in this case. 

A game without one team in white invokes the look of teams that cannot afford multiple sets of uniforms.  That's why it is unprofessional-looking, and highly cheesy.

Or it invokes the look of two clubs whose identities are deeply tied to the colors they’re wearing. Or two clubs who understand that colored garments are easier to clean and look better (excuse me, more professional 🙂for longer. Or any number of reasons that don’t rely on irrelevant shaming due to the perceived status of the club on an arbitrary socioeconomic ladder.

There’s tradition in the color v. white format in American sports to make it moot in those leagues, so I understand wanting to see that remain. In soccer, however, there’s never been a big push for color v. white, and I’d much rather see, for example, Chelsea in blue and Brazil in yellow whenever possible, so long as their opponent is in a sufficiently contrasting color.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 hour ago, AndrewMLind said:

The word "unprofessional" is tossed around too lightly on these boards. Some would argue it is progressive, rather than caught up in how things have always been done.

I think a lot of you are forgetting, though, the NBA no longer has a home and an away designation for its uniforms. The entire purpose was to do away with the mindset that white equals home and dark equals away. If you're that confused about who is the home team, check the scoreboard, the court or even in the picture above where no such branding is available, it's clear Boston is the home team (and that it was broadcast on ESPN) based on the people in the crowd.

But here is the problem with modern sports (and somewhat society) in general; there just seems to be this desire to be "progressive" just for the sake of being progressive. Just because something is coined as "traditional" shouldn't equivalate to it being bad or needing for change. There seems to be a pining to be progressive, not realizing the chaotic environment that all this progression creates. There are some places where progressiveness is needed, but sports, at least in some aspects, isn't necessarily one of those places.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

29 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

A game without one team in white invokes the look of teams that cannot afford multiple sets of uniforms.  That's why it is unprofessional-looking, and highly cheesy.

Others might say having only a white and a colored uniform implies the team can't afford more than two basic sets.

6 minutes ago, jus2damcrazey219 said:

Just because is seen as "traditional" shouldn't equivalate to had or needing for change. Some many of pining to be progressive, not realizing the chaotic environment that all this progression creates. There are some places where progressiveness is needed, but sports, at least in some aspects, isn't necessarily one of those places.

I'm not saying things need to change for the sake of change. I love traditional aspects of uniform aesthetics as much as I love modern designs. But the NBA, as a whole, is more progressive than any other sport, so it makes sense for the on-court product (and merchandising) to match that.

14 minutes ago, andregunts said:

get to use to the color vs color random match ups lol.

you old "traditionalist" your time is up 😃

Yeah, but so are the good uniforms and competitiveness in the NBA. 

People are cutting both the NBA and their bringer ESPN  😃

59 minutes ago, andregunts said:

How are ratings and retails sales going? I may be at the older edge of their spectrum but I'm still a consumer. I used to buy old Nike/starter/puma/Reebok jerseys and shooting shirts. Ticket sales seem a tad down across the league. Of 5 jersey choices, I just wouldn't know what to buy anymore. 

It's all experimental for now. If sales show all these changes as worthy, I'll pass the torch. For now, I think Nike is playing it year by year. And with MLB coming soon, it may get worse.  As bad as the 8-12 caps they use, their jersey combos have always been more traditional than NBA.  So the real test is MLB. 

I need to add my point of view to this topic. I also became a huge fan of the NBA like 10 - 12 years ago when the home team wore white and every franchise had a stable set of two to three jerseys for several years. Now, since we are on a forum for sports asthetics you can guess that it also was the asthetics of an NBA game that took my attention to the sport. I don't find the current uniform situation in the NBA pleasing in any way and I actually lost a lot of interest in the sport because of that.

I mean when I became a fan I knew every uniform of every NBA franchise. I watched some games just because the matchup was so damn good looking. Today every franchise has like 5 uniforms and three of them are changing every single year. That's insane.

Nowbody can tell me that a Lakers @ Nets matchup with the Lakers in yellow and the Nets in some crazy City Pride Uniform (or how they call it) is more asthetically pleasing than a classic purple against white uniform game.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

2 hours ago, andregunts said:

Ok but can they be actually GOOD jerseys and color matchups? A good 85% of NBA uniforms are trash! 

XM4KeeA.png

18 hours ago, Digby said:

...And for all the rightful angst about OKC’s brand, I really love that unusual shade of blue they use on those jerseys, and it looks great with that heathy dose of orange in trim.

Piggybacking on this. One argument that is cited frequently when critiquing OKC's brand is that the identify is not visually specific to a Thunder nickname or an Oklahoma basketball team. This is fair criticism, especially with the clip-art logo.

However, the shade of blue tends to be overlooked in that criticism. The blue is supposed to be similar to Oklahoma's shade of blue on their state flag. Going to the University of Oklahoma for both undergraduate and graduate school, I always found this endearing. I love that "Thunder blue".

16 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

I do wish they'd make it so the road team couldn't wear white. That does throw me off.

That's my only issue with the current setup (and it's strange to see the Lakers wear yellow on the road, too — though I'm fine with it in situations where purple wouldn't offer enough contrast with their opponent). 

Am I the only one here who actually likes what Nike’s doing with the jerseys and the whole “home team chooses jersey” thing. I mean it’s not hard to tell which team is the home team. And if it is then surely the away team could show some sign of being the away team. Personally I think it’s brilliant. I’ve never understood why the main color of a teams brand would be something the fans of the team wouldn’t even be able to see in person

edit: to add on, the lakers always seemed to traditionally wear their yellow jerseys at home. So why can’t  other teams do the same? 

IMG-7122.gif

11 minutes ago, pelicanfan said:

Am I the only one here who actually likes what Nike’s doing with the jerseys and the whole “home team chooses jersey” thing. I mean it’s not hard to tell which team is the home team. And if it is then surely the away team could show some sign of being the away team. Personally I think it’s brilliant. I’ve never understood why the main color of a teams brand would be something the fans of the team wouldn’t even be able to see in person

Bc back when TVs had no color you had to have white vs color. It then became tradition. I don’t hate the idea of constant color v color. As long as the road team doesn’t wear white. But Nikes uniforms are garbage, but since they’re Nike they sell like hot cakes, sadly

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

5 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

I don't mind the new looser rules but I do wish they'd make it so the road team couldn't wear white. That does throw me off.

I'm only fine with it if a team really wants to wear a color alternate at home and so it forces the away team to wear white. It's like a reverse of the NFL's white at home and that's fine with me.

bSLCtu2.png

On 2/4/2019 at 12:56 PM, AndrewMLind said:

That's my only issue with the current setup (and it's strange to see the Lakers wear yellow on the road, too — though I'm fine with it in situations where purple wouldn't offer enough contrast with their opponent). 

They're the Lakers, not the Pacers! Wear gold at home! 

Archived