kimball

1 hour ago, AndrewMLind said:

Not surprised to see the players taking part in the skills challenge this evening are wearing their respective team’s city jersey: 

I imagine the dunk contest will follow suit. (Edit: They are)

(I know, I know... you feel they should wear their team’s association or icon uniform instead)

They did that last year as well.

And, it's a good showcase for the city jersey since they (theoretically) change every year.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not an NBA guy so don’t take offense to this, but aesthetically, this league is a mess. I watch maybe 10 games per year and if it wasn’t for my uniform obsession, I’d have no clue what team colors actually are. Watching the dunk contest of a hawks player in white-gold-black put on warm ups that are red and neon yellow. I’m still trying to wrap my head around the fact that it’s basically soccer rules with no particular color at home, clash (city) jerseys that aren’t team colors, any color shoes, and well, ads on uniforms...and yes, I was mind blown seeing the lakers in yellow vs the Celtics in color in Boston the other day.

KISSwall09.jpg

6 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

Not surprised to see the players taking part in the skills challenge this evening are wearing their respective team’s city jersey: 

I imagine the dunk contest will follow suit. (Edit: They are)

(I know, I know... you feel they should wear their team’s association or icon uniform instead)

Which ones would those be? I dont even know what's what anymore.

WOW, and I thought it couldn't get worse. If they use those jerseys, they will be hacked in a week and we will be watching all 10 players on the court in a 1990 Chicago Bulls jersey #23. Wait, no , that would actually be funny.:bonk:

I feel like I'm almost beating a dead horse here. But seeing historically significant events with one off jerseys is just super bad for branding. This is a tune-up for regular fans to get to know these teams and players. And this showcase was just terrible, aesthetically speaking. 

It's equivalent to NCAA basketball teams decked out in brand new gear for March madness. Adidas does it constantly and it's just a bad look, especially looking back historically. 

--------

For the actual asg, Thinking out loud but I think it would've been cool to see the aqua jersey with pinstripes but with each players teams wordmark on the front. Think of a classic Lakers jersey but in aqua and pinstripes 

image4-1132x670_mini-1132x670.jpg

This but with each teams individual team font

Instead we get black and white jerseys with each teams generic standard logo. No creativity at all. 

But maybe that's just stupid. On another related note, it could even be teams regular jerseys and cuts and trims but done so in aqua with pinstripes. Maybe that's against their branding code? A aqua wishbone Lakers jersey would be cool for a one off event. 

19 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

You’re trusting a bunch of internet yahoos to supply credible scientific knowledge? 🙂

Well in that case, the most advanced type that *I’m* aware of is essentially a thin, flexible film. It has a special coating that, by passing electricity through the film, can illuminate like an LED. For this, you’d wirelessly connect your device to it as if it’s any other screen-mirroring tech (like AirPlay), and it would probably make sense to operate only through a dedicated app so that only images generated in the app (jersey numbers and names) can be displayed on the jersey.

Feasible, but at least for the numbers, the film would have to be a big square or rectangle to be accommodate any number.  I wonder how something like that would charge... and if worn in a game and its power goes out, would the player just have no number?

It'd be like straight up pro wrestling - Joel Embiid fouls out, so he just switches his number and NOB to TJ Mcconnell (a little white guy) and re-enters the game.  What's the ref going to do about it?  Make him provide a DNA sample?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 2/17/2019 at 2:50 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

It'd be like straight up pro wrestling - Joel Embiid fouls out, so he just switches his number and NOB to TJ Mcconnell (a little white guy) and re-enters the game.  What's the ref going to do about it?  Make him provide a DNA sample?

To be honest the NBA is no better than WWE nowadays... Garish uniforms, teams trading away the whole squad, meaningless teams that are there just so the big guys can win, super teams that can form anytime with a couple roster moves, focus on individuals rather than teams and so on. It doesn't feel serious at all anymore...

28 minutes ago, jp1409 said:

To be honest the NBA is no better than WWE nowadays... Garish uniforms, teams trading away the whole squad, meaningless teams that are there just so the big guys can win, super teams that can form anytime with a couple roster moves, focus on infividuals rather than teams and so on. It doesn't feel serious at all anymore...

And now I have the image of Steph Curry throwing up a 3 and then doing that U Can't See Me thing...LeBron raising the People's Eyebrow... or Giannis hulking out and tearing his jersey off.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

It'll be interesting to see the secondary marks for the ASG in Chicago. I'll throw down $100 that the star logo will be with the Chicago star.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

I realized this weekend that I don't mind the uniform approach to the All-Star Game logos because the actual design emphasis everywhere else isn't boring like the NFL has it with the Super Bowl. That court was awesome, the on screen graphics from TNT were great and the alternate logos were great too. We still got the uniqueness where it counts.

bSLCtu2.png

Comparing an exhibition to a championship game/series is kinda silly.  Exhibitions, by nature, don't matter, and are generally forgotten, so why not have fun with the branding?  You need to do anything to get people's attention for it, and things like ASGs are remembered more for whatever city they were in than the year.  Championship games/series are the polar opposite.  The NFL is killing it with their SB brand strategy.  When you see that patch on a jersey in photos, you instantly know it was from the SB, and you instantly know which one.  It's classy, and prestigious.  NBA was similar with the O'Brien trophy on the shoulder.  NHL is kinda similar, because at least when they change, it's still based around the cup.  MLB is the dumb.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

I realized this weekend that I don't mind the uniform approach to the All-Star Game logos because the actual design emphasis everywhere else isn't boring like the NFL has it with the Super Bowl. That court was awesome, the on screen graphics from TNT were great and the alternate logos were great too. We still got the uniqueness where it counts.

It’s weird that their still trying to capture everyone at the other events, with their city uniforms which to me feels (while not in the way I like) unique. Which puzzles me bc it contrasts the basic forgettable actual all star game uniforms. Just give me something similar to the celebrity jerseys with east and west on the chest and that’s great, much better than what we got.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

19 hours ago, jp1409 said:

To be honest the NBA is no better than WWE nowadays... Garish uniforms, teams trading away the whole squad, meaningless teams that are there just so the big guys can win, super teams that can form anytime with a couple roster moves, focus on infividuals rather than teams and so on. It doesn't feel serious at all anymore...

NBA has always been a players league, if players want the power to where they want to bothers you, maybe you should ask yourself why

23 hours ago, jp1409 said:

go watch college football then, thats more your speed

Archived