Recommended Posts

The Jazz could make a more conservative sunrise uniform (maybe use it in panels, numerals, etc) and switch nicknames to Bobcats and make me happy. Everything about their current brand screams New Orleans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

The Jazz could make a more conservative sunrise uniform (maybe use it in panels, numerals, etc) and switch nicknames to Bobcats and make me happy. Everything about their current brand screams New Orleans. 

 

It’s been nearly 40 years. Let it go, people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a Jazz fan, I get it. I really do. Silly name, SLC’s not a Jazz music hotbed, blah blah blah. But the name’s not going anywhere. Hasn’t in 40 years, and won’t in the next 40 and probably ever. Let’s all accept and deal with that, and move along. 

 

They definitely could make some improvements in other aspects of the brand, no doubt about that, and I’d like to see a few of those things happen. A name change will never be one of those things, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Jazz had a window in the mid-90s they considered it, but after the Finals runs and two decade association with three Hall of Farmers it’s not changing. And, no nickname trade for Grizzlies or Bobcats — it’d be Stars. But, it’s a moot point. Not happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So by my count, 11 of the 16 playoff teams have at least one black primary or alternate uniform. And I believe nine of those teams have worn a black set at least once in the playoffs. So of the 32 games played so far, not counting tonight, 17 matchups have featured one team wearing black. That's over 50% of the games! That number is...

 

 

tenor.gif?itemid=10410151

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

Because those unis are absolutely awesome while their primary set is about as meh as it gets. 

I disagree, never been the biggest fan of the sunrise, pretty pointless imo, the returning Utah script and side stripes are the only good thing about them. It sucks especially when their regular rotation is golden and about as good as it gets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

As a Jazz fan, I get it. I really do. Silly name, SLC’s not a Jazz music hotbed, blah blah blah. But the name’s not going anywhere. Hasn’t in 40 years, and won’t in the next 40 and probably ever. Let’s all accept and deal with that, and move along. 

 

They definitely could make some improvements in other aspects of the brand, no doubt about that, and I’d like to see a few of those things happen. A name change will never be one of those things, though.

 

I want to add that the Lakers, who have arguably the biggest brand in the NBA, are pretty much in the same boat. Lakers goes back to the Minneapolis days, but it's still their name... and I haven't seen any petitions to change it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, the Nuggets should make royal blue their primary color over navy. If they're going to be a blue, gold, and red team, use the better shade of blue. Those alternates look really sharp compared to their main set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

The Jazz could make a more conservative sunrise uniform (maybe use it in panels, numerals, etc) and switch nicknames to Bobcats and make me happy. Everything about their current brand screams New Orleans. 

You are so right. I do remember reading somewhere that they asked the Lakers when they moved to Utah to switch names, the "Utah Lakers"(after all, they were named the Lakers when they were "born" in Minnesota) would've made sense and the "Los Angeles Jazz" was suppose to be a "hip" change but history and success won out and the Lakers declined. I'm sure they would have chosen another name anyway but "Utah Jazz" never made sense to me. Jazz should have stayed in New Orleans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Utah Jazz sounds really good, and it's probably the first thing a lot of people think of when they hear the word "Utah"

 

New Orleans Jazz doesn't sound nearly as good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Ark said:

Utah Jazz sounds really good, and it's probably the first thing a lot of people think of when they hear the word "Utah"

 

New Orleans Jazz doesn't sound nearly as good.

 

Pelicans > Hornets > Jazz. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ark said:

Utah Jazz sounds really good, and it's probably the first thing a lot of people think of when they hear the word "Utah"

 

New Orleans Jazz doesn't sound nearly as good.

 

If they really wanted a name that fit their new home and corrected another team's unfitting name issue, the Jazz would've traded names with the New York Islanders. 

 

Two birds, one stone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We call them the sunrise uniforms, but they're actually based off rock formations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Also, the Nuggets should make royal blue their primary color over navy. If they're going to be a blue, gold, and red team, use the better shade of blue. Those alternates look really sharp compared to their main set.

They’ve worn that for every game this playoff series so far

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

They’ve worn that for every game this playoff series so far

They actually wore their regular white set in Game 2:

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, upperV03 said:

They actually wore their regular white set in Game 2:

spacer.png

4/5 games*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2019 at 12:07 PM, Bucfan56 said:

 

The whole “Rip City” thing is really dumb, but the rest of that set is great. 

 

You know, I wrote that comment before I realized the front said "Rip City." I'd hate to see them ditch their traditional black set for the City, but the City definitely stands on its own -- if it said "Portland" on the front.

 

 

I've accepted that Houston is now a team that wears color at home. Given their white set is outdated trash, it's fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Ark said:

Utah Jazz sounds really good, and it's probably the first thing a lot of people think of when they hear the word "Utah"

 

New Orleans Jazz doesn't sound nearly as good.

 

Of course it sounds good. You've been hearing the name for 40 years. You got used to it. Doesn't mean it makes sense or is a good name. New Orleans Jazz is better. #UtahStars

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Utah Jazz is a pretty odd name, and certainly if they'd moved in 2019 instead of 1979, they'd probably have changed the identity to fit their new location.

 

But we're 40 years down the road and Utah Jazz is a household name in world sports and they've got a lot of history behind it. The basketball J note logo is iconic. They'd be mad to change up that level of entrenched identity because it's an odd fit. Not a lot different to the Lakers really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, El Scorcho said:

Utah Jazz is a pretty odd name, and certainly if they'd moved in 2019 instead of 1979, they'd probably have changed the identity to fit their new location.

 

But we're 40 years down the road and Utah Jazz is a household name in world sports and they've got a lot of history behind it. The basketball J note logo is iconic. They'd be mad to change up that level of entrenched identity because it's an odd fit. Not a lot different to the Lakers really.

Fair comp, and I appreciate them being out there as a reminder that NBA teams weren't always massive money generators and used to make decisions like this based on some owner looking at the budget and saying "nah, it'd cost too much to replace a bunch of stuff"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.